Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DurinIII

Gandalf Hero

107 posts in this topic

@Rapier, Gandalf only able to pay for neutral cards seems counter intuitive. Like lleimmoen was saying, his story is that he appears wherever he is needed with the support of his wizard abilities, whether he is supporting humans, elves, or dwarfs (he is not sphere"ist"). Limiting him to paying for only neutral cards is the exact opposite of why FFG made his ally version a neutral card that can be played with under any sphere. That is my objective analysis.

My subjective analysis is that to make a hero Gandalf only able to pay for neutral cards is silly. I personally never have more than 10% neutral cards in any of my decks, making Gandalf's resources essentially useless. And if you did have at least a third of your deck neutral cards, your other sphere's main focus will be on allies since there are a lack of neutral ones. Deck building is the acme of skill in this game, but limiting your flexability in deck building by using a duo neutral/sphere is poor strategizing.

You can splat a song on him, yet still it will be dumb. And songs are not from the core set, so people without Mirkwood cycle would stuck in a very bad position.

Caldara is not useless.  I hope that they use the remaining hero slots to flesh out some of the traits (Halbarad), or maybe for some new characters from the book.  There are still several Rohan characters we haven't seen that could be heroes.  Maybe Earkenbrand (Tactics), Hama (Lore), or Gamling (Leadership)?

Yea, I really wouldn't mind if we had a (select) few more heroes that aren't from the material if they are well designed.  At some point they will need to look at some pretty obscure characters for heroes anyway.  One thought I had was hero for Bergil (son of Beregond).  Spirit, 3 threat, 2 WP, 0 ATK, 0 DEF, 1 HP.  Gondor.  While Bergil is ready, all Gondor characters gain "Action: exhaust this card and Bergil to give a Gondor character +1 DEF until the end of the turn."  Anyway, before I went way off topic, I think the new characters can be fine if they are spread out and have interesting abilities.

Since yes we need a Gandalf ring so probably we will have a Gandalf hero. But what kind of hero he can be??? He is to powerful 4/4/4 Maybe he can be only alone as a hero? And belong to all spheres? 

Gandalf: Sphere Lore. Cost: 15 WP 4 AT 3 DF 3 HP 4

Ability: Lower Gandalf's starting threat cost by 1 for each Hobbit hero you control.

I think they should do what decipher did and make different versions of the same hero. We already have this with a few characters: Aragorn and Borimir. That way Gandalf could eventually show up in every sphere.

I think they should do what decipher did and make different versions of the same hero. We already have this with a few characters: Aragorn and Borimir. That way Gandalf could eventually show up in every sphere.

So... four cards of hero Gandalf included in the next Saga box, one for each sphere? well, I was not at all enthusiastic for the whole idea of hero Gandalf, but this would actually change my mind. Come to think about it, it might make sense in a weird way. In other Sagas hero count was much higher. Now, if I recall correctly, we are supposed to get just a quests-specific Frodo plus just one additional new hero. Just one or perhaps...? :) But it is just pure speculation,

So... four cards of hero Gandalf included in the next Saga box, one for each sphere? well, I was not at all enthusiastic for the whole idea of hero Gandalf, but this would actually change my mind. Come to think about it, it might make sense in a weird way. In other Sagas hero count was much higher. Now, if I recall correctly, we are supposed to get just a quests-specific Frodo plus just one additional new hero. Just one or perhaps...? :) But it is just pure speculation,

One hero, four of the same one hero. Haha. Confirmed Gandalf rainbow.

I wasn't suggesting that we get 4 versions in one set! Rather, we get 1 and others arrive later. :-)

I won't hear any more on it, rainbow Gandalf confirmed!

(But in all seriousness, Gandalf would fit all sphere except maybe Tactics)

Noccus and DurinIII like this

(But in all seriousness, Gandalf would fit all sphere except maybe Tactics)

If you really want to take that road then there are plenty of examples in both the Hobbit and LotR where Gandalf takes up arms and starts smashing in heads.

Not that I´m a fan of a Gandalf hero to begin with.

DurinIII likes this

Yes, Ana is a tester.  As am I!

I am leaking the stats here and now.  Soak them up, peoples of Later Middle-Earth!!!

Threat: X + Y + Z + 4

Willpower: X

Attack: Y

Defense: Z

HP: 4

Abilities: X = 1, unless the owner is wearing a wizard hat, in which case X = 4.

Y = 1, unless the owner is carrying a wizard staff, in which case Y = 4.

Z = 1, unless the owner is sporting a wizard beard, in which case Z = 4.

Response: Once per game, prior to the engagement phase, the owner may stand-up and declare, in a loud voice, "You shall not pass!"  Doing so will negate all enemy engagements this round.

You are welcome.  :)

Nerdmeister likes this

Wut? R u a tester? Rnt u breaking the rules?

No, not a tester. I thought people already knew there was a leak. Somebody was posting names of the expansions here, for instance. I do know but I will not tell, out of respect to the designers. I just wanted to sound a bit mysterious, I guess. And also applaud some of the peoples' guesses (if indeed guesses they are, for I am not the only outsider who knows).

My guess :

Gandalf the Grey : 10 threat cost - all printed sphere

2 will/2 att/2 def/4 HP

After Gandalf the Grey receives lethal damages by defending a unique foe, return it to play at the end of the next round as Gandalf the White.

Gandalf the White : all printed sphere

4 will/4 att/4 def/4 HP

You cannot start the game with Gandalf the White.

This could be made by a card with one side Gandalf the Grey and on the back Gandalf the White ...

Wut? R u a tester? Rnt u breaking the rules?

No, not a tester. I thought people already knew there was a leak. Somebody was posting names of the expansions here, for instance. I do know but I will not tell, out of respect to the designers. I just wanted to sound a bit mysterious, I guess. And also applaud some of the peoples' guesses (if indeed guesses they are, for I am not the only outsider who knows).

Sceptic I remain.

Proof this is not.

So now all of a sudden we have people who claim there is a Gandalf hero and his info has been leaked? I ain't buying it.

Wasn't there a supposed leak that turned out to be fake?

Of course, I would doubt myself, had I read this. But if there is a hero Gandalf one day and he combos very well with hero Elrond, you may mark these words as not spoken out of jest. And of course, 4/4/4 is too much for a hero.

Of course, I would doubt myself, had I read this. But if there is a hero Gandalf one day and he combos very well with hero Elrond, you may mark these words as not spoken out of jest. And of course, 4/4/4 is too much for a hero.

Righty. Will do!

No worries if they prove false though! :)