Sign in to follow this  
DrHeims

Rules I'd like to clarify

Hey guys,

I have a couple questions (again).

The first one is Combat.

When do I apply the monster effect when calculating the number of dice to roll?

For example, if my guy has a strength of 1 and I have a carbine rifle (+3) and the monster has a -3.

Do I calculate that as:

(Equation 1)

1(investigator strength) - 3(monster effect) = 0 (as if I had no weapon) THEN add the carbine 0 +3 = 3 (roll 3 dice)?

Or is it

(Equation 2)

1(investigator strength) + 3(all weapons/alleys) -3(monster effect) = 1 Die

Basically what I'm saying is if this character is unarmed he would roll 1 die during this encounter. But with a kick ass carbine rifle does he still only roll 1 die? That would kinda suck, that's why I'm thinking the first equation makes more sense.

-----------------------------

My other question happened when one of my investigators went insane (Jim). His encounter said you find his suitcase - "gain all of his possessions".

Are allies possessions?

It wouldn't make sense for 2 allies to be in a suitcase, but .... lol.

----------------------------

Edited by DrHeims

1.  You add them up all sat the same time, so even with a cool carbine rifle, you still only get 1 dice. 

2.  Yes, Allies are possessions.  Everything but Improvement tokens, sanity and health tokens, and condition cards. 

1.  You add them up all sat the same time, so even with a cool carbine rifle, you still only get 1 dice. 

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the clarification though.

After that guy died I chose a person with high strength and was able to beat Cthulhu (for my 1st win ever! out of a total of 5 games :( )

Do you guys choose your investigators based on the ancient one? I've just been going random. Since I'm new to the game I've only tried Azathoth and Cthulhu.

From my experience it seems to me that you need some strong fighters against Cthulhu because of all the Epic Monsters and Ambushes he spawns.

I don't want to read the mystery cards and special encounter cards from the other ancient ones, I want it to be a surprise. But do you guys have any recommendations on what stats will be good agains the other 2 ancient ones?

I always customize investigators.

Azathoth is good with Akachi/Charlie/Jacqueline/Norman

Yog-Sothoth is good with Diana/Jacqueline/Jim/Norman

Shub-Niggurath is a b****, and I hate her. So far, my recommendation is Mark, Leo, Silas, and Trish. I'm still trying though.

Yig is still too new, but Yig apparently fears Diana.

Personally, I always draw random investigators with the one caveat that no investigator that was part of the final team in the previous game can be a starter in the current game.

Random too.  But we house ruled one thing, we each pick 2 random Investigators and choose one.  Gives us some choice but still keep the random nature of things.

Same with the AO, we simply pick one at random and cry :P

Hee hee.  Relic rules, eh?  Beats my mistake.  For the first four games we selected  investigators Elder Sign style (because I thought the rules were the same.)  yeah, that didn't go well.....   Now I do it the way the rules really say to.  We pick investigators then a random Ancient One.  I never house rule anything.  I'm never sure if I'll get the balance right once I change the orignal design......

Hello. I have one question about rules as well and I figured it would be more practical if I just ask here instead of creating a whole new topic just because of one question. I hope you guys agree.

If you fail to gain a clue spawn by the Mythos phase, what do you do? Is that clue discarded or you can try to gain it again the next turn by drawing a new research card? It makes more sense to me to discard it, because it is just this one unique information about the Old One and if you can't obtain it, this information is lost and can't be simply replaced by another.

However I don't think rules specify if you discard this clue or try to gain a new one, so I would really like to know what you guys think. Thanks ahead.

If you fail a research encounter, you discard that card and draw a new one in the following encounter phase. The clue token itself however will remain on the board. Also, if you ever are told to chose a location to spawn a clue you just draw one and place it where you wish without looking at the back of it. In essence you could then place a clue token on Arkham, and then draw the Arkham clue a round later. Again, only if you get something that tells you to spawn a clue in a location of your choice.

Edited by Husker949

There are some (very few) cases where the clue is discarded or moved somewhere else, but if this is to happen, it's clearly stated on the Research Encounter card, so no worries about that.

Even if yours could be a thematically interesting reading, clue are a vital resource in EH and discarding them due to a failed check can have really nefarious consequences

Thanks for your replies. Also I think I must agree that while I would prefer my interpretation of that rule because of better storytelling, this already hard game would then become even harder :)

I have also question. Is about gain tome artifact and gain artifact.

Some mystery card allow you to get specific artifact when you get effect :gain artifact from some effect. But some effect have : gain a Tome artifact. So can I get a sword when I get a: gain a tome artifact? Sound funny instead of book to get a sword......

When you're instructed to do a specific *something* (artifact in this case), you start drawing from the specific deck until you gain an item of the subtype you were instructed to draw. So that, if you are to gain a Tome artifact, and the first draw is a sword, you discard it and keep on drawing until you draw a Tome

Julia, I believe Glaurung is asking about instances like having Queen of the Deep Ones mystery active  (Cthulhu, you have to defeat Hydra). The card says that instead of gaining an artifact, you can gain Sword of Y'ha-Talla instead. And the question is whether you can use this effect, when you get a "draw one tome artifact", or whether you have to take some tome.

(facepalm)

Ok, now it has some more sense. I'm inclined to say yes, you may. Tome Artifacts are Artifacts, Queen of the Deep Ones' trigger is an Artifact, so I'd say it's a legit move.

Edited by Julia

Further with this question, when i am told to "gain the Crused Sphere Artifact" when resolving a research encounter and current active mystery is Crown of the Serpent, which says "When an investigator would gain an Arifact, he may gain the Serpent Crown Arifact instead", it is legit to take Serpent Crown instead od Crused Sphere? I would say yes, but thematicaly it does not make much sense.

I'd say even if an encounter states that you gain a specific artifact but the current mystery allows you substitute a specific artifact when you gain an artifact, then the mystery overrides the encounter.  

You can always create a mini story to explain why things shift.  For example, you obtain the sphere ... all your skills are boosted ... the increase in lore tells you that there should be someone nearby that might help you ... the increase in observation helps you locate them, but it's in a rough part of town  ... the increase in will and strength enables you to actually travel to the necessary location  ... and finally the increase in influence leads you to convince them of your plan.  Net result: trade sphere for crown.

Edited by ricedwlit

In fact, according to Nikki's reported in this thread in BGG, even existing artifacts gained from defeated investigators can be exchanged for the mystery relevant artifact.

Personally, this is a flavor mismatch too far for me, and I don't allow this in my games, but those are the rules.

I just wanted some clarification/verification if y'all don't mind.....

Yesterday I ruled that all effects MUST be resolved regardless of any arbitrary order the effects are selected in.  Specifically, a player was arguing that they didn't have to resolve a monsters reckoning effect because the monster spawned in a location where the player had already dealt with all the other monsters reckoning effects.

In other words if you gain a condition during a reckoning you DO still have to resolve it's reckoning effect.  The same goes for a monster that is added to the board. Even if the card or token just got there you still have to resolve all effects.

Did I judge this correctly?

You did not get this correct. From the reference guide on "Reckoning" (p. 9):

"If a Monster is spawned or an investigator gains a component while investigators are resolving [reckoning symbol] effects, they do not resolve the [reckoning symbol] effect on that Monster or component. "

Some Concrete cases:

- Do not resolve the reckoning effect on the Zombie Horde epic monster on turn that it is spawned from the Zombie monster.

- If an investigator gains a condition (e.g. Cursed) while resolving the reckoning for a condition he already has, do not resolve the reckoning on the new condition.

"If a Monster is spawned or an investigator gains a component while investigators are resolving [reckoning symbol] effects, they do not resolve the [reckoning symbol] effect on that Monster or component. "

Some Concrete cases:

- Do not resolve the reckoning effect on the Zombie Horde epic monster on turn that it is spawned from the Zombie monster.

- If an investigator gains a condition (e.g. Cursed) while resolving the reckoning for a condition he already has, do not resolve the reckoning on the new condition.

Some Concrete cases:

How did I miss that?  Thanks again ricedlwit.  *sigh*  Dag.  We coulda' won!! 

An' I stopped us.....  'Scuse me a sec, I think I'm gonna' go try and swat that fly on the wall with my HEAD.......

After reading the posts here about choosing investigators and AOs, i'd like to comment why do i always choose the investigator and pick a random AO.

I've been playing RPG for more than 20 years (i've started to play in 1993). My mind works like that: create a character the way you like, but you never know what the GM/DM/Storyteller would create against you. So i always play EH/AH and so on (boardgames that you easily convert in your mind as a RPG game) by choosing the character, but never choosing the AO (after all, you don't know what the GM/DM/Storyteller would plan for you). Each character to me have a spark of life. And there are some characters that i'd never like to play (like the Sailor or Leo Anderson). So i can't choose the investigators randomly because if i get an investigator i don't like (and i don't play for power, i play for the story/fun factor), i wouldn't have fun in that match.

I know the sailor has very good skills, but i look at him and i think "no, that's not the kind of character i like to play".

The variant rule let me choose the investigator (i always play by the rules) and i thank this variant rule for that.