Sign in to follow this  
Sanguinous Rex

Where are the Star Wars FFG resources? Nothing has come out... nothing!

So if you look at Pathfinder, you see constant releases not only of books but resources.  I don't want a million Star Wars books, I'm happy with the release schedule however I want and need Star Wars resources!

Can't FFG come out with map collections (Star Wars locations for use with figures or...)

Can't FFG come out with a collection of character chits?  They released one for each of the beginner boxes and it made me excited at the possibilities of a $20 release with 200-300 hig quality chits with different monsters, enemies, heroes, NPC's etc.

These two products would go hand-in-hand together, sold separately but probably bought together (maps and figure chits?  Who woulda though!)

I know there is a market for this.. fairly inexpensive product to enrich the game.  FFG, can you make it happen?  You have all the Star Wars resources to do it!

While we're on the subject, I could go for a nice SW-themed dice bag. Gold velvet with the Triumph symbol embroidered on it would be pretty good. :)

Star Wars dice bags, you say?

IMG_2252.jpg

My wife happens to make them. I'm rather spoiled when it comes to Star Wars dice bags. /hijack

While the maps and tokens that FFG has produced so far are nice, I don't think they're particularly necessary to enjoy the game. I'm currently playing in an Edge of the Empire campaign that's both map-less and mini-less; they just aren't as necessary in this system as they are for tactics-heavy D20 systems.

That's not to say I don't think they should be made, but I don't really think there's as much of a market for them for this system. I could be wrong, of course.

While we're on the subject, I could go for a nice SW-themed dice bag. Gold velvet with the Triumph symbol embroidered on it would be pretty good. :)

IMG_2252.jpg

My wife happens to make them. I'm rather spoiled when it comes to Star Wars dice bags. /hijack

Please give your wife a high-five from me, because those look great!

Is that commercially-available fabric? The fifth one in the line looks like Marvel SW... surely that can't be bought by the yard at the shops!  :o

Is that commercially-available fabric? The fifth one in the line looks like Marvel SW... surely that can't be bought by the yard at the shops!  :o

Indeed it is, and can. She's been using licensed Star Wars fabric to make the bags. The cord is 325 paracord (I've found that it works better than 550 cord) and the cord stop is just a cheap one we found on Amazon. The bags can comfortably hold up to five sets of Star Wars RPG dice and a pair of percentile dice.

She's been considering trying to sell them online, but the fees associated with Etsy or Ebay make it difficult.

So if you look at Pathfinder, you see constant releases not only of books but resources.  I don't want a million Star Wars books, I'm happy with the release schedule however I want and need Star Wars resources!

Can't FFG come out with map collections (Star Wars locations for use with figures or...)

Can't FFG come out with a collection of character chits?  They released one for each of the beginner boxes and it made me excited at the possibilities of a $20 release with 200-300 hig quality chits with different monsters, enemies, heroes, NPC's etc.

These two products would go hand-in-hand together, sold separately but probably bought together (maps and figure chits?  Who woulda though!)

I know there is a market for this.. fairly inexpensive product to enrich the game.  FFG, can you make it happen?  You have all the Star Wars resources to do it!

It depends on what you consider resources. They have put out Specialization Talent Decks, for example, which are decent, but not everyone's cup of tea. I personally like them, and my players find them helpful as a resource.

In terms of lack of maps and player chits, I think this is deliberate. Star Wars RPG doesn't need maps or chits to be able to run. The last time we played, while I had lego figures set up, we were playing around a set of couches, and simply had a tray to roll dice into... that was pretty much it. My crew liked it because it was a bit more like how we played D&D eons ago without any sort of miniatures or a grid.

That having been said, I wouldn't mind various maps and such, but it's not essential. I am curious to see what sorts of other resources are out there.

IMG_2252.jpg

While the maps and tokens that FFG has produced so far are nice, I don't think they're particularly necessary to enjoy the game. I'm currently playing in an Edge of the Empire campaign that's both map-less and mini-less; they just aren't as necessary in this system as they are for tactics-heavy D20 systems.

That's not to say I don't think they should be made, but I don't really think there's as much of a market for them for this system. I could be wrong, of course.

Well... It's still a roleplaying game and most RPG's these days often use them.  Almost everyone I know wants to use a map and figures.  They still enjoy an old fashioned "in the mind" game but they would prefer the visual representation.  To a lot of people this adds to the game.

Indeed it is, and can. She's been using licensed Star Wars fabric to make the bags. The cord is 325 paracord (I've found that it works better than 550 cord) and the cord stop is just a cheap one we found on Amazon. The bags can comfortably hold up to five sets of Star Wars RPG dice and a pair of percentile dice.

She's been considering trying to sell them online, but the fees associated with Etsy or Ebay make it difficult.

Well, you guys have a customer here. I don't want to derail the thread either, but I would love to take one of those Marvel SW bags off your hands. Shall we go to PM?

IMG_2252.jpg

Well... It's still a roleplaying game and most RPG's these days often use them.  Almost everyone I know wants to use a map and figures.  They still enjoy an old fashioned "in the mind" game but they would prefer the visual representation.  To a lot of people this adds to the game.

Seems a bit odd to me how you'd even begin to and mini's use a map given how the distance tracking is abstract for the combat system.

To be fair, just because "all the other RPG's are doing it" it doesn't necessarily mean that the designers of FFG's Star Wars RPG should.

That said, I'm not disagreeing with you entirely. I'm sure some people find the visual representation to be a boon, rather than a hindrance. I'm merely echoing the suggestion that the absence of maps, miniatures, tokens, pawns, et cetera may be a deliberate design decision, rather than an oversight.

Are FFG not also limited in allot of what they can do due to the language of the licensing agreement? Pathfinder can put out pretty much whatever the hell they want, as they own the IP lock, stock and barrel. FFG only has the rights to produce, what I'm guessing, is a limited amount of stuff specifically related to the RPG and whats held as canon. In other words, I doubt they could just make stuff up, and getting access to official cannon materials to use might not be as easy as we think.

Well, you guys have a customer here. I don't want to derail the thread either, but I would love to take one of those Marvel SW bags off your hands. Shall we go to PM?

That's probably a good idea, for the sake of the thread.

I would definitely appreciate some tokens.

Now, my primary group is purely imagination, with a map here and there only so we all understand what is going on when it's hard to describe a setting. However, I'm planning on starting a new group with beginners, who would likely appreciate a number of maps and tokens to show what's going on.

You mean to say, "Take a look at Paizo." I love what they do (although, my wallet doesn't), but they have just one IP so they can devote all of their effort into that single line.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

You have to recognize that Fantasy Flight Games is more than just Star Wars: Edge of the Empire—heck, they're more than just role-playing games! They have new, updated, and reprinted stuff coming out several times a month.

That being said, I wouldn't mind sets of cardboard pawns or grid-less maps. I know that this game can be played without them but there's just something... immersive about seeing the battle progress out on the table.

IMG_2252.jpg

Seems a bit odd to me how you'd even begin to and mini's use a map given how the distance tracking is abstract for the combat system.

? It's crazy simple, I used the chits and the maps provided in the Beginner Box (see they already did it so they can do more) to make the beginner game really awesome.  You place chits relative to everyone else and each person is a relative distance to other characters.  It's easy!

Maps would be good.  Maybe a nice roll out table mat thing with some often used tables on it and a starfield on one side and maybe a default landing bay scene or city streeet on the other.  I use Othello pieces for Destiny tokens, which are pretty much perfect imo.  Some apps for a tablet for tracking wounds/strain or whatever, a virtual interface with the dice roller maybe.   

Easy - keep the mapping abstract too. Occasionally we'll bust out the map, quickly sketch out the topography and place minis roughly where they go - movement isn't by inches or squares, but by eyeball. "You move from Medium to short? That puts you about . . . oh, here."

FFG has already released The beginner box, which has plenty of tokens.

As for maps, if i really need to, I just flash one up on the monitor to give the players an idea on what the place they are in looks like.

Personally, I feel the great thing about this system is that it is an old school RPG and therefore maps have no importance (mechanically or narratively) in running the game.

Regardless of the efficacy of the system without maps or visual representations of characters and positions, it remains true that Some People respond better to visual aids to assist them in envisioning a scene.

It is not d20 crap.  It's not old school vs new school.  It's a question of finding the right approach for your table that brings them to the greatest sense of immersion.  If that means that I break out the beast wars Megatron toy to represent a Really Big Beasty (in comparison to the approximately 1.75" miniatures they hand-sculpted because that works for them), with piles of junk on the table to mark cover...well, that's what I do, because it works for them.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but it's always best to find the approach that brings your group to the most comfortable level of immersion.

I find the chits from the beginner box to be invaluable, and, like the OP, wish we could get more (partly because there's not enough of the right kinds, or the wrong kinds entirely...and partly because I lent my beginner box to my best friend to try it out).