Sign in to follow this  
Nemomon

Talisman The Woodland Expansion!

I already have 2 questions about this expansion.

1st: The totem bear is an animal, but it uses craft. So what about the Ministrel? Will he be able to charm it, because we can read that the animal adds its strength during battle, but what if it doesn't have strength?

2nd: after encountering it, the toad king moves 3 spaces counterclockwise... Isn't it a bit stupid? Let's say I encounter it, and I become a toad for 3 turns. I will be able to move to its space again, and to gain a strength or (and? I forget) a craft.

I already have 2 questions about this expansion.

1st: The totem bear is an animal, but it uses craft. So what about the Ministrel? Will he be able to charm it, because we can read that the animal adds its strength during battle, but what if it doesn't have strength?

2nd: after encountering it, the toad king moves 3 spaces counterclockwise... Isn't it a bit stupid? Let's say I encounter it, and I become a toad for 3 turns. I will be able to move to its space again, and to gain a strength or (and? I forget) a craft.

1.) I don't think he can charm it. A quick houserule says roll against the craft to charm and use it's craft in psychic combat.

2.) That is pretty much the point. Turn into toad, survive three turns of hopping back to him, earn your cones. I like how it works. You can even land on him again and rinse/repeat. Just remember this, most toads will hop back and forth each turn, while this guy encourages you to try and endure whatever trouble is three spaces between you nd him. He's a well designed card.

Agree with Granville on the Toad stuff; the point is to make you consider 'toad-chasing' as a way of leveling up or a reward for having it happen at all.

On the Minstrel and the Totem Bear, I tent to think there are limits, almost, to every power, so this is it for Minstrel. His power works over mundane animals, not magical or enhanced types. The evasion of Dragons is a bonus, he can't charm them really but they will leave him alone.

There's a new sneak peek from the Woodland online now at Talisman Island.

http://www.talismanisland.com/

...and you may notice something a little different about the place!  ;)

Jon - Congratulations!

The new site looks great. Streamlined and refreshing.

Best of luck with it.  :)

Edited by adjogi

Nice page layout, although I miss the old school look already ;P

Oh, wait... nevermind! I've just found an "Old Site" button ^^;

I don't believe you will be inclined to move and tag all archive posts will you? I wouldn't but then again I'm a lazy male donkey ;)

Anyway, it looks slick, it looks modern, it's easier to navigate (always a plus). Good work :)

Edit:

"Home" button apparently directs to the wrong catalog (http://www.talismanisland.com/wp/)

Edited by Felis

I think I am glad to know that Oberon, et al, are not playable characters.  Kinda big reputation to uphold, but on the other hand . . .

All three of these strangers seem to be more inclined to the dark side. Its not an incorrect view of Oberon and his 'court'. Most fairy tales of old are about the fairies playing tricks or not playing very nice with humans, so as I said, not incorrect view.

Looking forward to more news.

I wouldn't be into the idea of having named characters introduced to the game.  That would be just as bad as bringing in Timescape characters.  Leave the named heroes for games like Descent.  Talisman is all about archetypes.

Yeah the terminology can change among people. One of my friends sometimes calls characters "monsters". So the word character is word that is defined differently to folks. If we use Gandalf in Talisman, he is a character from Lord of the Rings, but would be a stranger in the game.

I would expect more news about Woodland to come out within the next two or three weeks. The usual pattern for Fantasy Flight is to announce a new expansion then start with the previews about two months afterward.

I be thinking that too. The first post is from May 6, and next week, we move into July, so gotta be soon.

I'm exhausted from excitement as I extrapolate the X-factors involved!