Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemomon

Talisman The Woodland Expansion!

302 posts in this topic

The artwork for Wanderlust is fantastic. Maybe some of the best fantasy art I have seen in a long time.

It feels like a high fantasy Skyrim. I'm glad it's an alternate ending and it seems to elude to having to travel around the board a lot, which is cool.

FFGbailey likes this

I'm so bored and tired of waiting for some news to come out! So I 've been reviewing all the sneak peeks over at the Island and reviewing this thread too.

I just thought that maybe there is a connection between the "Meeting with Destiny" space and the card "Sword of Destiny". I think someone from a while back mentioned this card appears in the 3rd edition possibly and has not been seen since. I don't recall what the powers or properties of this card are/were, but I just wonder if there is a tie-in. Anyone?

The cover of the Expansions shows a tree erupting light/brilliance and I think we guess this is the Meeting with Destiny space, but trying to see if such a graphic might indicate which actual space it is in the 1st preview is hard. The text of the article suggest it is the center of the Woodlands, but does that mean the actual physical space, or metaphoric.

Like I said, bored and tired of waiting. Perhaps soon, there will be more.

Patience, my friend. I'm positive we'll get some more info next week or the week after.

In the meantime I would love to campaign Fantasy Flight to release an all-character expansion based on the characters that Nom,ad is releasing for the digital game.

Edited by Quartzquiz

I believe you. I'm ~being silly~, but I am fairly positive that we'll see new News shortly, since the last was nigh onto 2 months ago.

I think a character pack would be a wonderful idea; I'd take it as print on demand or regular small set. Throw in some new alt endings, perhaps. 

I wonder how they mass produce the figures and if it's a significant cost when pricing the box expansions.

I mean if they don't cost so much, we could get a nice character expansion box if it's pure characters.

Though it looks like with Woodland they may also be experimenting with a new figure with token idea. Though this is just a hunch.

(The totem warrior token and the spider tokens I think will be used with certain characters.)

Duh! Figures. POD most likely could not include figures... what about 3-D printers? I have no idea if companies are using this new technology. Supposed to be very cost efficient.

The idea of post-board(s) expansions sort of leads to concepts that might be deemed 'Advanced' Talisman.

A new class of Followers, 'Partners',  possibly with certain powers or abilities. Additional strength or craft points, of course, but variations or lighter versions of certain powers. Lots of room for interpretations. 

New ways or objects of carrying items, with small bonuses. A weapons cart or wagon that is immune to theft or certain abilities (guarded by one of those Partners).

These things are mostly superficial but will add some fun. I imagine that the game designers could come up with really unique things, since what they've done in Woodlands looks great so far.

We played lots of 2nd edition games and a couple of 4th edition games using what we call Henchmen. You take a completely random character and he is your follower, he has 2 life and can carry 1 object. They could make these as new followers "partners" as you said.

0beron likes this

I'm incredibly bored and have nothing better to do, while waiting any news of the Woodland, so

I looked at the last corner expansion, The City, and note that the first mention came out in October 2012, and then no more was heard for 2 months and about 11 days. Then we had news mentions about every week, 8 days, more or less, until it was released.

There is nothing in the world that guarantees that this is how news for Woodland will present, but it is interesting to note that

2 months and 11 days after the first mention of Woodland

would be this Thursday!   (keeping fingers crossed!)

Ha that spell looks like a potential fools errand. I really like all of the art i've seen on this expansion thus far.

Well, this expansion is dealing with the properties of 'Fate', so my guess is this represents the cutting of Fate, ala the Norns' / sisters (which there are a couple of cards in the various decks).

This spell possibly allows an altering of Fate or disposal of your choice, dark or light, since play mechanics have changed regarding the outcomes of battles (lightbound/darkbound)

As the Spell and Adventure deck increases, it becomes difficult to access cards that deal specifically with that expansion. I hope such spells, if they are important for the corner Region, won't be too diluted.

I recently played a game with all 6 small box expansions. I had only one Fireland token on the board for the entire game until I drew the Ifrit Sultan near the end. I also didn't draw a single Lunar Event!

To me, it is about the random-ness factor. We've only played about 4 or 5 games since Firelands. In the first few, not much, but some things happened that allowed 'burning'.

But in the last game, right near the beginning, my game partner drew one of the objects/cards that allowed her to burn things constantly. So the entire game was a burn-fest of sorts.

It was actually thrilling in most ways, since there was incredible uncertainty about what would happen next. Still look more than 2 hours to play through.

So I think Woodland may balance that/other impulses/effects in other ways. I'll never separate expansions because of what is termed dilution. Every game is unique, as long as you shuffle well. The last game had major burnage, but I can see other possibilities.

Preview is up. I like the chicken-hut!

Oh, the nostalgia! Fond memories of Hero's Quest: So You Want to Be a Hero from Sierra On-Line :)

Alfax likes this

Oh, the nostalgia! Fond memories of Hero's Quest: So You Want to Be a Hero from Sierra On-Line :)

Yeah one of the first things I noticed too! must be a "player" at ffg :).

Yeah one of the first things I noticed too! must be a "player" at ffg :).

Well, it's just Baba Yaga's Hut, an enchanted living hut with chicken legs. It's part of Slavian folklore and popular tales, along with Baba Yaga the witch who is also featured in the Woodland expansion. Baba Yaga and her Hut appeared in many fantasy settings, now they're part of Talisman 4th Edition too.

This doesn't rule out that somebody at FFG could have played Sierra Games Heros Quest :)

Ha, What I actually like about it is the mechanics of being stuck at 5 and always 5 movement. I bet it's more frustrating than useful, Especially with your opponents able to predict your movement until you're able to get rid of it.

Placed a pre-order for The Woodland at FRP Games (http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1985 ) . I ordered my Fireland expansion from them and they are VERY fast with shipping, The price with Priority Mail pretty much equals what you would pay at your local (U.S.) game and hobby store.

Their announced release date: August 30th, 2014

EDIT: They also have in stock pretty much all of the expansions, including the ones that are currently awaiting to be reprinted.

Edited by Quartzquiz