Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemomon

Talisman The Woodland Expansion!

302 posts in this topic

Yes, and as the two previous, this card also increases some values... It looks that Destiny Cards will be very usefull with lots of good abilities.
I see that Totem Warrior first abbility is: You begin the game with... something (probably Axe or Shield) from the Purchase desk.

Edited by Croonos

Games Workshop are pulling the strings behind the scenes as they hold the Talisman copyright and license it to FFG. This means that Games Workshop have a lot of say in how things pan out in expansions.

So, everything you don't like about Talisman 4E is GW's fault? FFG's awesome ideas are being shot down by GW and the game would be 10 times better if only GW would get out of the way and let FFG do what they want?

It's true they own the copyright and licensed it out to FFG, but it's also true that FFG are the ones doing all the design work on Talisman. That's the whole point. If GW wanted to be that involved in the game design, they would've kept the game at Black Industries and done it themselves.

GW probably has to sign off on stuff before it goes to print, but the ideas themselves all come from FFG staff. The rules are written by FFG, playtested by FFG, art is drawn by FFG, etc. It's FFG's game with GW's license.

Well I don't know copyright law or whatever might apply here, but I somewhat know human nature, and there is always someone who is the hardest to please, or feels someone/someway/somehow else it could have been much better.

In most of these matters I've become very relaxed. My world doesn't end because they didn't _____, like the 2nd edition. I have plenty of patience and plenty of ambivalence for strict concepting.

Having said that, I really fee that Woodland is what I've been waiting for! Elsewhere I've remarked how to some degree the Dungeon and the Highland are mirrors of each other, and thought that whatever ended up as 4th corner, would be a sort of mirror to The City. So far it seems a bit that way to me.  The City takes some criticism over its high powering through certain characters and the City's purchase palaces, but Woodland has similar idea but going to differing conclusions. Rather than stop at the City gate and look over warrants to take up sword against, the Highland offers you a chance to review and possibly alter "your destiny".  But other things will allow you to influence or affect others' destiny. Rather than buying things to help you, you may have to earn them in certain ways.  Stuff like that.

I'm going to reserve full/more judgement when I see more previews.

Talismaniac2 and Granville like this

Yeah Oberon it seems like that corner board is essentially. Start here> Survive to the end> gain tremendous power you cant lose for the end of the game, which is nice.

Where as Highlands and Dungeon are slog to the end and pick up a nice item.

City is where you go to cash in or make some gold.

The only thing I haven't seen from The Woodlands thus far, and it doesn't disappoint me but -was- a design aspect picked up in The City, was that the board seems as insular as the highlands and the dungeon. I guess what i'm trying to say is with the city, you could pick up a nice bounty and go back into the world or even other boards and quest around in them to accomplish something, making the city interact with the rest of the game in interesting ways.

In a sense i'm kind of hoping to see a similar mechanic in the woodlands, but maybe it will be the anti-city in that respect.

You my want to run around and around in it for as long as you can.

The other three boards have clear design functions to them once you get used to them, The point of visiting the Woodlands instead of continuing on your circuit of the main board or going to another corner is what i'm most interested in discovering at this point (besides what that spider token does :P ) In the past my understanding was it was for high craft/low strength characters to visit.

One theory I have is it maybe the same now, except for high Fate characters to visit as "Fate" has been used as a bit of a balancing chip towards characters with less desirable abilities on the card.

Minstrel, I love you brah, but i'm looking at you and your fate 5.

I think the most important topic right now is...Who has a kitchen table big enough to support this monstrosity with 4-6 people playing?

I asked my wife the other morning at breakfast if She thought our kitchen table was big enough and her immediate response: "This isnt about one of your stupid games is it?". ....sigh.....

adjogi, 0beron, Granville and 2 others like this

On a further note, I don't think GW has much say in the contents of this game or we would have playable characters like Skaven, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Chaos and other Elves. Actually, I would enjoy getting these into the mix so maybe GW should stick their nose in..... :-)

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba

I think the most important topic right now is...Who has a kitchen table big enough to support this monstrosity with 4-6 people playing?

I asked my wife the other morning at breakfast if She thought our kitchen table was big enough and her immediate response: "This isnt about one of your stupid games is it?". ....sigh.....

This cracked me up.

:lol: In another time of history, she would have said "You're not planning to invite more people for dinner, do you?". Now women have different concerns regarding men's projects.

If your table was big enough to host 3 corner boards, it is big enough to host 4. Finding place to put character cards and belongings becomes tricky, though.

I don't know if this will work for everybody, but per The_Warlock's final thoughts I noticed a company who makes "extra large presentation boards" (most likely sold at Office Max or crafts type stores) that are 48 inches by 48 inches and tri-folds up, weighs about 2 lbs or less. I intend to buy one of these (around $8, not including shipping ~ Amazon and others have them) and then lay it over my 36 inch wide table.

Hopefully it will balance nice and this will give about 6 extra inches on each side for character cards and belongings.  I'm probably not picking up one until around the time Woodland comes out, so I won't know how well until I do get and try one.

Blasphemer? Witch? No... only woman, that's why we love them :P .

In conversations with his wife you need to switch to a feminine way of thinking ... or earlier take the kids on your side.
Ps. We already moved on to the carpet and here is just fun. :D 

Welcome to the great Woodland Derailment thread! Now featuring, women, wives, others, that love a gamer, despite the hard-pressed needs for better gaming tables!

In my own situation, we needed more room for *other things*, in the dining room where the long table is. So we took out a leave and moved it 90 degrees.   

We have new kittens (about 10 weeks) and they are climbing and jumping everywhere! They have one of those Kitty-trees, about 5 and a half feet and from the top 1 of them is able to jump onto the dining room table. Our space is too small to move things far enough away from that TREE.

This is probably a good thing; would I rather have cramped space for Talisman or have Tiger-kitty drop on to the table in mid session?

DomaGB likes this

Yes, I think someone thought that meant July to September, so probably by/at Gem-Con (did I get that right?)

Yeah I would speculate a Gen-Con release myself. I'm hoping the local con coming up this three day weekend has a midnight-late night pretzels and beer game of Talisman going or I may run one myself.

Usually the midnight games here are LARPS though!

I've never gone to any kind of gaming/comic/fan convention. Probably too old to consider these days. In addition to Talisman, I'm a fan of:

Comic books, mostly Marvel, but I do like Batwoman by DC

Most movies about comics, sci-fi/horror themes. Not really into Pixar/type movies 

"Dark Shadows" !!  Of course the original, very dated TV series from the '60s.

Rumor has it that the Dark Shadows Fan convention was one of the first fan conventions starting in the early '80s I believe. There were of course fan conventions but not one devoted totally to one topic or theme.

One of the reasons why supernatural/themed games are in my likes.

Just so you know, you can go to a con if you're in your 80's with a beard down to your belly and have fun man. I'm 30 and have been going to them since I was 16. I've played many a DnD game with an old timer(s) and think nothing of it as i'm pretty much focused on the game at hand. You will find all of your gamer stereotype at cons but honestly man..if you ever wanted that 6 player game of talisman or maybe to just play it over and over over the course of 1 to 4 days, cons are the best place to do it.

Ive made some good friends at the cons and see some of the same faces over the years. It's a really good outlet for the hobby

The stories you pick up over the years are better than anything you will ever experience from the games you play.

Watching a six or seven year old kid godzilla the championship table of a warhammer 40K tournament; absolutely priceless.

Watching a couple of days no shower guy clear out a LARP  because it was held in the hotel's corporate boardroom/soundproof booth..amazing.

Plenty of war gamer napoleoned tables. Even seen Monopoly flipped once :)

But dont let this scare you off. 99% of the time, you'll just be bull in a game with other players who love the hobby as much as you, while you wait for your turn to come up in whatever game it is you're playing.

The best game I played was a battletech game run by FASA with over 40 players. Everyone had a single unit on the table and turns were done in a large group que where things were resolved simultaneous instead of turn by turn, player by player as the game is usually played. It was sheer mayhem but you felt like you were participating in something on a grander scale, something that could only be done at a convention.

The sole survivor of that game against: powergamers, actual FASA staff, big brothers, total battletech nerds such as myself, rules lawyers, casual gamers, you name it.....was a friend I bought with me who had never played the game, and never was a part of the hobby at all. We had invited him to go to the con because all of us that went were friends from high school and why not? He was an 18 year old mexican gang member who found his calling that day; in all the chaos and learning the game turn by turn, he survived the sheer mayhem of that game to be the only to survivor.

Seeing it was worth all the time and money that has gone into cons and this hobby over the years.

I. J. Thompson and 0beron like this

I have been to one Gen-Con, I think in Milwaukee or Chicago before it moved. Didn't play any games, just walked around. I wish I would have gamed.

I also love Superhero movies, fantasy films, and  sci-fi movies. I don't like horror, except classic horror. For example went and saw Godzilla with my sons tonite, awesome btw!

BTW, good superhero board games are hard to find, and I don't want any card game or Hero-clicks. But I found a good one called Heroes Incorporated with its 1 expansion Heroes Incorporated: S.U.P.E.R. (Scrap's Upgrade Pack and Expansion Revision).

Anyone who likes Superheroes and board games should give this one a try. As I said, it is hard to find good Superhero board games, especially without paying a fortune.

I got my friends to try it and they like it too! 

Edited by DomaGB
0beron likes this

I just noticed a new graphic from The Woodland over on Talismanisland.com.  Its called "Oberon's Gate" and its some sort of portal/rune gate, on a small island. The door of the gate is partially open/opening and a bright light is emanating from where ever the Portal leads to.

Quite beautiful.  And appropriate. . .  as 'Oberon' myself, I'm fascinating with the use of Rune gates and other teleportational encounters; places, spells,e tc. as they appear in the Talisman world.

talismanisland likes this

My guess is that it acts like the Dungeon Door or the Mountain Trail: An Adventure Deck card that lets you go immediately to the Woodland entrance if you choose. Perhaps it allows you to go to any Rune get.

The anticipation mounts...

Edited by Quartzquiz