Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
player1761766

New preview - Celebrimbor's Secret

113 posts in this topic

Not a lot of love circulating on here about Nenya, but what another great card! Galadriel with Nenya will be epic!

I think most people are just rolling Nenya into Galadriel when they praise the character.

Although it is a significant drawback that she can't use her 4 willpower without drawing it, which is an interesting bit of design (and further encourages a lore/spirit deck for getting card draw or access to word of command).

DurinIII likes this

We're getting three elven hero's in this cycle:  Celeborn, Galadriel and a "Silvan Spirit hero".  My hope for Arwen is fading fast.

Please not a hero Arwen :(

I like the ally so much, I just can't get rid of her.

Really really cool...

I can agree to everything you wrote and can add one point:

If you can ready her (Courage, Miruvor, Cram...), you could play Desperate Alliance to use her ability twice in a round, cause it would be the same like Lore-Aragorn.

kyrie likes this

Why would Noldor have Doomed? They have absolutely nothing to do with the dark arts nor would they be dangerous in their ways or possibly be treacherous... they're the total opposite, complete beings of light. I would love to hear a case for the opposite though, I think it would give it a good identity, albeit strange thematically.

Djenni likes this

Why would Noldor have Doomed? They have absolutely nothing to do with the dark arts nor would they be dangerous in their ways or possibly be treacherous... they're the total opposite, complete beings of light. I would love to hear a case for the opposite though, I think it would give it a good identity, albeit strange thematically.

Thematically it could represent their leaving for the West - their time in middle earth grows short and so they only assist for a short time - hence raising your threat.

I mean I guess rather than "doomed" you could have them have "raise your threat" the way Glorfindel does - but I think that "doomed" as a key word is better than "raise your threat" if you want it to apply as effects are played - for instance Noldor events or attachments could have it.

Noldor allies already have an effect to represent this with their card discarding after use.

Thematically it could represent their leaving for the West - their time in middle earth grows short and so they only assist for a short time - hence raising your threat.

Oh snap! You're right...  Still a bit doubtful but a good enough excuse.

Edited by Gizlivadi

Really really cool...

If you can ready her (Courage, Miruvor, Cram...), you could play Desperate Alliance to use her ability twice in a round, cause it would be the same like Lore-Aragorn.

This is a great point! Desperate Alliance works very well with her along with Unexpected Courage. I just wonder if both players' allies would then not exhaust to commit to quests if you tossed her over before the quest phase. It would seem that a passive ability only works for the player who is currently controlling the character, so probably not...

Edited by kyrie

Really really cool...

This is a great point! Desperate Alliance works very well with her along with Unexpected Courage. I just wonder if both players' allies would then not exhaust to commit to quests if you tossed her over before the quest phase. It would seem that a passive ability only works for the player who is currently controlling the character, so probably not...

"Allies you control, do not exhaust to commit to the quest during the round they enter play" 

This is actually a really complicated question rules-wise. For instance:

I own Galadriel and I play Arwen down this turn. On the normal scheme of things Arwen can now quest without exhausting. The question is when is this rule "checked"

If it's "Do you own Galadriel at the time that you play Arwen, that means that Arwen can now quest without exhausting." Or is it checked only in the quest phase which would be, "Arwen was played this round and you own Galadriel during the quest phase, therefore Arwen doesn't exhaust to quest now"

It depends if in rules terms, the ability to exhaust without questing is only checked at the quest stage or whether it's a property that the Arwen card gains as a result of being played while a Galardriel card is in play under your control.

The first instance would only allow the player who owns Galadriel during the quest phase to benefit, the second would allow you to play desperate alliance during the planning phase (after playing your own allies down) to get a double benefit from her.

Currently nothing could occur in between playing Arwen and questing to knock Galadriel out of play - but you could imagine a future encounter card effect that did interupt between planning and the quest phase such that Galadriel was alive when you played Arwen, but dead by the time you actually went to quest. In that instance I would find it more logical to assume that Arwen can still quest without exhausting even though you no longer have Galadriel (that would make it a property that has been bestowed on the Arwen card like a stack in magic).

However other effects in the game so far have tended to work on a simpler check system (do you have the cards in play 'now' at the moment they apply) So I suspect that the rules response will be only the player who owns Galadriel in the quest phase benefits.

I'd say it was worth a rules clarification though because both rules readings are legitimate.

Edited by Rapier

"Allies you control, do not exhaust to commit to the quest during the round they enter play" 

This is a passive effect which only applies when you are committing your characters to the quest. Each player commits any of their characters to the quest at one time, starting with the first player and proceeding clockwise in order. There is a player action window in between each player committing their characters to the quest, so you can use Galadriel and Desperate alliance to have two players' character quest without exhausting.

1. First player controls Galadriel and commits their characters to the quest. Any of the first players' characters which entered play this round do not exhaust.

2. First player plays Desperate Alliance and passes Galadriel to the second player.

3. Second player commits their characters to the quest. Now that they control Galadriel, her passive applies to any of the second players' characters which entered play this round. Those characters do not exhaust.

This passive effect, just like the one on Light of Valinor, is only checked at the time a character is committed to the quest. After that, it wouldn't even matter if Galadriel left play - the exhaustion side-effect has already been checked.

Edited by danpoage

Epic preview! As amazing as Galadriel and Nenya are I'm more excited for Orophin and the Ent ally!!! Already run Haldir ally and am already planning to run Rumil, finally have the last brother revealed =)!! Really wish we knew what he did though..
Also, the Ents are awesome... probably gonna chuck 3 in my deck. Low low cost for pretty **** decent stats and only real drawback (who puts attachments on allies?) is they come into play exhausted. After that they're cheap beasts! Also, they aren't really creatures so I for one am happy they didn't get that trait even though it would have been nice for Radagast to have more use.
Going to have to at least TRY to swap out Spiritfindel for Galadriel and see how my lore/spirit deck works that way, can swap in Nenya instead of Asfaloth.... might work perfectly....

Overall a very exciting preview! The art for Galadriel is insanely good (that's one gorgeous elf lord....) and the quest sounds epic as well. God **** all these awesome spoilers with awesome player cards and awesome quests that we aren't actually gonna get our hands on for so **** long....

Narsil0420 and Catastrophic09 like this

I'm a little late to the party but how cow, i'm excited to use Galadriel.  I also love how she complements the silvan archetype without either party really needing her by necessity, really great touch.  I love the versatility and player choice they gave us with her too between the high will power and card draw/threat reduction (although UC obviously mitigates this choice).  I think I'm mostly just happy to have another universally useful spirit hero.

Exciting to see our first official Ent too, even with the thematically appropriate 1st turn exhaust is till think they are super powerful. WIll be cool to see more of their kind.

Lastly, seeing Orophin as a leadership ally just as to mean we get Haldir as a lore hero in the 3rd AP right? Would be appropriate getting all 3 of them this cycle and i dont think they'll change his sphere as he could only go in spirit without doubling up with his brothers and if he was spirit that means we'd have 3 spirit heroes this cycle which seems unlikely.

Assuming we do get a lore haldir, that likely means that that the ranger hero in the 4th AP and the hero of the 6th AP would be leadership and tactics to make it 2 heroes per sphere per cycle

Also curious to see who our last hero will be, i figured if we were gonna see Galadriel it would have been in the 6th for the grand finale, Caleb and co may have to outdue themselves on this one

Player cards are cool for this one.  That's for sure.  I just hope they don't go easy on us with the quests for this cycle.....  I really like those good, tough, hard thinking ones like Stewards Fear, Morgul Vale, HoN.......   I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with the VoI quests.  

I also want at least one quest were you have to do something different to get past a quest stage rather than just questing. Sort of like some of the locations in AoO (pay 1 resource to place 1 progress on location....exhaust hero to place 1 progress) except on the quest card.  

Maybe in the The Nin-in-Eilph you should have to discard characters (to distract a big boss swamp monster ;) ) so you can make progress.  Maybe something like "Each player must discard a character they control to be able to commit to the quest" or maybe a swamp monster enemy during one stage that reads (10 threat, cannot be engaged. Quest Phase Action: Any player may discard a character to reduce this enemy's threat by 3)  

Looking forward to these quests and cool enemies.  

Edited by Khamul The Easterling

Some random thoughts after reflection: if I were to design an attachment called "Mirror of Galadriel". It would most likely be something like, "Attach to Galadriel. Exhaust Mirror of Galadriel and Galadriel to draw a card and reduce your threat by one."

So I kinda don't think we'll be getting the mirror. Unless it's as "Galadriel does not exhaust ..."

Orophin needs to be ranged like both of his brothers. Helps with Rumil's ability.

Wandering Ent... That's some cheap power right there.

Really intrigued by the Silvan Spirit hero now. Mono-Spirit elves my precious. Three Councils, three Greetings and three Books of Earnil. Forty five points of threat reduction without an Aragorn in sight.

Some random thoughts after reflection: if I were to design an attachment called "Mirror of Galadriel". It would most likely be something like, "Attach to Galadriel. Exhaust Mirror of Galadriel and Galadriel to draw a card and reduce your threat by one."

So I kinda don't think we'll be getting the mirror. Unless it's as "Galadriel does not exhaust ..."

Orophin needs to be ranged like both of his brothers. Helps with Rumil's ability.

Really intrigued by the Silvan Spirit hero now. Mono-Spirit elves my precious. Three Councils, three Greetings and three Books of Earnil. Forty five points of threat reduction without an Aragorn in sight.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've received confirmation that we're getting a spirit silvan hero. We know that the hero in the 2nd AP will be spirit but no trait was given and we know the hero in the 3rd AP will be silvan but no sphere was given

Oh wow. I've been brewing a pair of elf decks in my head and since I pretty much only play one handed I didn't realize that Stargazer can choose a player to scry five. Master of the Forge's action only works on the controlling player though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've received confirmation that we're getting a spirit silvan hero. We know that the hero in the 2nd AP will be spirit but no trait was given and we know the hero in the 3rd AP will be silvan but no sphere was given

You're right, sorry. Getting my heroes mixed and crossed.

Try printed Galadriel and Nenya tonight.

You know what.... I think I might, I may even just make proxies for Rumil, the Ent ally and Naith Guide as well.... I REALLY really don't want to wait as long as we are going to have to just to use them

I really like the direction they took with Galadriel.

I think that everyone immediately going oh she's amazing with Unexpected Courage, rather proves the point I was making about all cards that are designed having to keep it in mind though. Which makes me pretty **** sad.

The ent has much worse stats than I was expecting. I mean he has really good stats for cost 2 (although he does come into play exhausted as many people were expecting).

I was expecting all Ents to have more defence and hitpoints than 2 and 3. I guess a wandering ent may be the youngest and therefore weakest of them.

Did anyone read the text on secrect chamber? it sounds like a pretty interesting mechanic for that adventure. You lose the game if the Orc's search finds the secret chamber it seems.

I might be a moron but I think Miravor could potentially be a better fit for her than UC if you have other card draw in the deck.  She turns Miravor into an instant power card IMHO.

I might be a moron but I think Miravor could potentially be a better fit for her than UC if you have other card draw in the deck.  She turns Miravor into an instant power card IMHO.

Hmmm...why do you think Miruvor would be better with Galadriel? For just one more resource, Unexpected Courage gives her a free ready every round. Is there a combo you have in mind?

Nenya's ability seems to synergize well with one of the core sets most under-used cards, "The Favor of the Lady". Just as this gives willpower to others, so does Nenya allow Galadriel to extend her "favor" on other characters. I like the thematic ties across these two cards.

Anyone prefer the art of Galadriel on "The Favor of the Lady" to Galadriel's Hero version? It looks less frightening/dark and more "favorable" if you ask me...

Favour of the Lady is my favourite art perhaps in the whole game, at least as a portrait. However, it is hard to justify using the card, it is expensive for what little it does.

Hmmm...why do you think Miruvor would be better with Galadriel? For just one more resource, Unexpected Courage gives her a free ready every round. Is there a combo you have in mind?

I don't know that Miruvor is better, but it certainly works well with Galadriel.  You can play it, use Nenya, ready Galadriel by discarding Miruvor and putting it on top of your deck, use Galadriel's ability to draw Miruvor and lower threat, and repeat this process every turn.  And if you have card draw, it's even more effective (so that you're seeing more cards than just Miruvor.  But,  it's not as cost effective as Unexpected Courage, and you won't gain card advantage like you would with Unexpected Courage, but for people with one Core Set (like myself), it's a good alternative.

Rapier1 likes this

Nenya's ability seems to synergize well with one of the core sets most under-used cards, "The Favor of the Lady". Just as this gives willpower to others, so does Nenya allow Galadriel to extend her "favor" on other characters. I like the thematic ties across these two cards.

Anyone prefer the art of Galadriel on "The Favor of the Lady" to Galadriel's Hero version? It looks less frightening/dark and more "favorable" if you ask me...

You can't call that a synergy, it's a common sense, like saying "The Favor of the Lady synergies well with questing characters", lol.