Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
player1761766

New preview - Celebrimbor's Secret

113 posts in this topic

Can you imagine her in a dwarf deck with Dain? Or an outlands deck? Dang. 

No, I would never do such a travesty. I mean Celeborn and Galadriel, who would not have them together? The great thing about the design of the two is that you need not have them together like Elladan and Elrohir but it makes totally sense to. But who the third with the current pool? I think Haldir will easily fill the gap later if he is Lore but for now I might invest in a sort of travesty and go with Bifur since most of the Silvan are Lore and not cheap.

In other news, does anyone remember if we're still on track with the AP names for this cycle, per the list that was posted on bgg a few months back? I seem to remember Celebrimbor's Secret as being one, but can't remember what was postulated for the sixth pack. Because, y'know, I haven't had enough excitement from this preview...

Yes, we are exactly on track

She is really cool with a Doom deck…….. And thematically  also….Galadriel is not  fighter and she not running around as well. she just there give a spirit strange to everyone (if she have a ring) and also  give advice (card draw) and shelter( reduce threat).

She can be really amazing in 4 players game and also cool with some doom mechanic. you can play Saruman for 2 threat and he will take away encounter card, quest, fight or defend. not bad not bad. 

Art is something! This is Galadriel! That how i image her! much much better then in the movie……….

Glowwyrm and OnkelZorni like this

A hero that can't do **** by herself. Wow...

Wait, so drawing a card and lowering your threat by 1 is nothing? Also, being able to get double use out of allies the round they come into play seems pretty good. Just think about that with Core Set Gandalf - ridiculous!

Exactly, i mean Galadríel effectively negates the "raise your threat by 1" each turn, and then some.

We can also boost her will power….. Let say  Galadriel Eowyn Grima support deck.  Lot of cards draw, Threat reduce and Will power boost. Like Dunadain Signal and or Protector of Lorien or there is another spirit card from the core set +1 spirit attachment. 

They can easy quest round 25 every round and also give a card draw and threat reduce. sound very good in 3 or 4 players game. Same time she is not super powerful, you must to know how to use her! Good way! I like it!

So happy to get an Ent. I think we all probably imagined Ents as having tons of defense and hit points, but that wouldn't work without making them super expensive or giving them a big handicap (like only being able to ready every few turns or something like that). As it is, this Ent has the same stats as Haldir for half the cost. That's not bad, especially if you can get a few on the table at once.

AW-F*CKING-RIGHT! Now this is the preview I was epxecting for. As it has already been said, the art is amazing, the cards are amazing, everything about this pack looks amazing. I love how Galadriel works almost like a presence in the distance, she's not a hero of action, but rather a guiding force that helps the rest of the heroes. Can't wait to get her.

Catastrophic09 and Nickpes like this

Wait am I missing something. Why does everyone want to put UC on her?

She only exhausts for her ability and it's limited to once per round. So what the point of readying her?

A hero that can't do **** by herself. Wow...

Wait, so drawing a card and lowering your threat by 1 is nothing? Also, being able to get double use out of allies the round they come into play seems pretty good. Just think about that with Core Set Gandalf - ridiculous!

Spirit has not had consistent card drawing until now, so I think Galadriel is amazingly powerful. As Ian said, once you get Nenya and some readying (UC, Miruvor, etc.) she becomes a real powerhouse.  In multiplayer she is even better because she can target a Tactics player, who would ordinarily lack both card draw and threat reduction.  I just don't see how targeted card draw *and* threat reduction in the same ability counts as nothing, but I am interested to hear your take.

OK, here is my take:

Allowing allies to quest without exhausting first turn they enter is good, but not so many allies can do anything besides questing, especially Spirit allies. 

One of the main roles of the heroes is being a front line, and she can't quest, attack or defend, so if you don't draw anything for her in your opening hand - you're out of luck and two other heroes better be able to handle the questing and fighting to be done.

I think the proper response is "wow, she'd be great... in any other Sphere." She's a really good card, but boring old Eowyn is generally better in my opinion, and she can't compete with the ever-broken Glorfindel.  In any other faction, I would love her, but here it's pretty meh.

She splashes... okayish. Going off blue means that you'll likely lose a lot of the questing advantage as your allies will cost 2-3 and often have 1 or 0 willpower, which is nice but not amazing given her weaknesses. As a standalone deck, she would work best with Grima to power out worthwhile cards and manage threat. As a support deck, I could see her and 2x Tactics heroes, where they are dedicated combat and she just manages their threat and draws cards, while providing cheap Spirit cards. You'd lose out on most of the questing advantage, but it'd probably be worth it (so long as the other decks can pick up the slack).

Does anyone else feel like the elven aesthetic is awfully similar to the one in the films? That Nenya, those structures in the background... I don't know, I think it's time to give it a break.... even though it's all over the cards in the borders anyway :(

Edited by Gizlivadi

As for the other cards,

It looks like the Desecrated Ruins treachery adds damage to the active location. Could this mean a battle for locations, similar to Cair Andros?

Orophin seems to say something about returning something to our hands. Allies? from play or discard pile?

I am not contributing anything new to this discussion, but, I agree with all of you who are saying that Galadriel is amazing in both art and in abilities. Wow!!! I am so excited about this. Also, the Ent ally, omg, wow, I am so excited!

ZanzibarLand likes this

I think the direction they took with Galadriel is perfect for her character.  Providing unseen support for other people is exactly what she did in the Lord of the Rings storyline.  Her on-card ability to exhaust for card draw and threat reduction is also brilliant.  She would work great in powerful doomed decks, I'm thinking.  The synergies are certainly going to explode this cycle.  

Catastrophic09 and DurinIII like this

What I am really stoked about is Ent. Nice touch, powerful and cheap ally with a drawback, which can be mitigated by readying effects or playing him extremely early.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo
DurinIII likes this

This does make me wonder if Noldor will play with the doomed key word as one of their mechanics. (As opposed to it just being Isenguard).

I think they might be a good fit for it.

Not a lot of love circulating on here about Nenya, but what another great card! Galadriel with Nenya will be epic!