Sign in to follow this  
VGADisciple

Historically Accurate Full Obsidian Squadron Ship Build - 150 Points

My friend and I play a lot of X-Wing together.  He's my next door neighbor, and we game a lot at the same gaming store.

I'm really big into Star Wars historically accurate ship builds.

I built a 150 Obsidian Squadron TIE Fighter team.  It contains the 10 Obsidian Squadron pilots from the movie.

My friend is building a Rebel Alliance team to take it on.

My team is as follows:

Obsidian 1: "Howlrunner"

with Swarm Tactics

Obsidian 2: "Night Beast"

Obsidian 3: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 4: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 5: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 6: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 7: Winged Gundark

Obsidian 8: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 9: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 10: Obsidian Pilot

I welcome any comments or criticism in regard to this team.

After surfing Wookiepedia for endless amount of time, I wish they would make versions of all named squadrons and pilots.

Plus different ship cards for pilots known to have flown different ships.  Like Farlander in a Y-wing for Battle of Yavin.

Edited by TheBlueMax

After surfing Wookiepedia for endless amount of time, I wish they would make versions of all named squadrons and pilots.

Though the prospects of new pilots for ships is always exciting, I'm sure that a lot of thought and planning goes into the few named pilots is already somewhat grueling due to the amount of playtesting and scenario building that goes into what we get released already. Would I like more pilots? Sure, so would most everyone, but we should be honest that we already have tons to work with. Heck, I think unless you were playing every day that you'd probably never get a chance to play everything in every variation, even if you only stuck with 100 point lists.

TL;DR, it's a nice idea, but there are limitations on this game.

Plus different ship cards for pilots known to have flown different ships.  Like Farlander in a Y-wing for Battle of Yavin.

This would be awesome.  It would be nice to see two different pilot cards for the same pilot, but for two different ships, or for whatever ships he flown.

Though the prospects of new pilots for ships is always exciting, I'm sure that a lot of thought and planning goes into the few named pilots is already somewhat grueling due to the amount of playtesting and scenario building that goes into what we get released already. Would I like more pilots? Sure, so would most everyone, but we should be honest that we already have tons to work with. Heck, I think unless you were playing every day that you'd probably never get a chance to play everything in every variation, even if you only stuck with 100 point lists.

TL;DR, it's a nice idea, but there are limitations on this game.

And your post explains the reason I'm not playing Heroclix much at all, but have moved to Star Wars X-Wing... grueling beta testing and game balance, and very high quality control and amazing sculpts and paint jobs.

Anyone who plays HeroClix, and isn't a blind fanboy of WizKids, will tell you that WizKids neither beta tests, nor proof-reads anything they release, and the models are pretty much crap.

That is why we only have 3 waves of Star Wars in three years, but by October 2014, there will be 9, yes 9, waves of Star Trek Attack Wing.  WizKids cares less about beta testing.... they only want to flood the market with as much garbage as they can to line their pockets as fast as possible... to hell with quality control, beta testing, etc.

I've been playing HeroClix for 11 years straight, so I speak from from many years of grizzled experience.

I think Farlander's ability would have been much cooler on a Y-wing personally.

My friend and I play a lot of X-Wing together.  He's my next door neighbor, and we game a lot at the same gaming store.

I'm really big into Star Wars historically accurate ship builds.

I built a 150 Obsidian Squadron TIE Fighter team.  It contains the 10 Obsidian Squadron pilots from the movie.

My friend is building a Rebel Alliance team to take it on.

My team is as follows:

Obsidian 1: "Howlrunner"

with Swarm Tactics

Obsidian 2: "Night Beast"

Obsidian 3: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 4: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 5: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 6: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 7: Winged Gundark

Obsidian 8: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 9: Obsidian Pilot

Obsidian 10: Obsidian Pilot

I welcome any comments or criticism in regard to this team.

With your build coming in at 141 points you could throw Hull upgrade on each of the named pilots.

With your build coming in at 141 points you could throw Hull upgrade on each of the named pilots.

That would rock.  That would make them harder to kill. But unfortunately, I just started playing the game, and I don't have any Hull Upgrade cards yet.

But in the future, when I run this squadron again, the Hull Upgrade is a definite must!  Thank you very much for the help.

Looking through what I have, I have come up with a couple of builds for this event. I don't have much hope for the first one as I would be severely outnumbered (but hey, that is what rebels are known for).

Red Squadron

Red Leader - Garven Dreis

Proton Torpedoes

Shield Upgrade

Red Two - Wedge Antilles

R2-F2

Proton Torpedoes

Push the Limit

Shield Upgrade

Red Three - Biggs Darklighter

R2-D2

Shield Upgrade

Red Five - Luke Skywalker

R5 Astromech

Proton Torpedoes

Push the Limit

Shield Upgrade

Or

Red Squadron Pilot x 4

Tycho Celchu

Push the Limit

Arvel Crynyd

Shield Upgrade

Since VGADisciple is borrowing two of my tie fighters for this battle, I might be able to borrow two of his X-Wings to help out. If so, I might be doing something different:

Maybe

6 Red Squadron Pilots with three of them with shield upgrades.

Dunno. Got lots of time to plan out a list with what I have as getting him to play during the week other than Friday is...difficult ;)

That would rock.  That would make them harder to kill. But unfortunately, I just started playing the game, and I don't have any Hull Upgrade cards yet.

But in the future, when I run this squadron again, the Hull Upgrade is a definite must!  Thank you very much for the help.

Could do the same with stealth device. Depends on how lucky you feel. I would at least consider it on night beast since he can have focus and evade. Another option would be targeting computer on night beast, and use him as a loner/flanker away from howlrunner's reroll, and he can potentially focus + target lock. Then you could play hull/stealth on gundark and a shield upgrade on howl.

Full squadrons are 12 fighters y'know. Three flight groups of four craft each. My guess would be Howlrunner, Gundark, and Night Beast are all flight leaders.

This would be nice for the epic battles.

Obsidian Squadron with 12 fighters = 167 (including howl + swarm tactics, WG, NB)

leaving 133 points for a decent bomber detachment + Soontir Fel (for example)

Could do the same with stealth device. Depends on how lucky you feel. I would at least consider it on night beast since he can have focus and evade. Another option would be targeting computer on night beast, and use him as a loner/flanker away from howlrunner's reroll, and he can potentially focus + target lock. Then you could play hull/stealth on gundark and a shield upgrade on howl.

Thanks!  That info is helpful and gives me some more options.

Full squadrons are 12 fighters y'know. Three flight groups of four craft each. My guess would be Howlrunner, Gundark, and Night Beast are all flight leaders.

In most cases, yes, squadrons are 12 fighters with 3 flights, but not all of the time.  There are actually 2-ship squadrons in the Star Wars universe.

In the case of Obsidian Squadron, it only had 10 ships, and they were all TIE/LN's.

Here is the rundown on what a squadron is:

A squadron was any group of coordinated aerial or space warships. They could be made up of Starfighters, Bombers, Gunships, and Capital ships. Squadrons could be permanent or temporary and were used for a variety of missions. The most common make up for starfighter squadrons was 12 ships.

Edited by VGADisciple

During the attack on the first Death Star, the Red and Gold Squadron fighters formed up in groups of three.

VGA, It doesn't matter really if you have the Hull upgrade card. IF your not playing in a tournny, and your playing your friend, I'm sure he wouldn't mind all that much if you proxy hull upgrade.

Edited by Moore1980