Sign in to follow this  
glewis2317

Rules you forget most often?

Biggest one I forget all the time is adding the extra difficulty die when I duel shoot my blasters....So much so that I've told everyone in the group to check me on it.  

Second biggest one? To spend an unused maneuver to aim...I can tell everyone else 5 times before they roll to aim for the boost die, and when it gets to me I just derp out and shoot.....without the extra difficulty die for duel wielding =P

The one thing I forget most regularly is that taking wounds that put you over Wound Threshold also applies a crit. Mainly b/c when my players do it to the NPCs that 95% of the time just outright removes them permanently from the conflict and I only end up wounding PCs that heavily from time to time.

I think I somehow skipped over the rules for how to assemble dice pools for minion groups. I have to ask my players every time. Often multiple times per combat. I should probably go back and read that, but I never think about it in between sessions.

Forgetting to use the Adversary talent on NPCs.

Same here. As well as Defense.

One of the issues at our table, that can exacerbate this problem, is that my eager players tend to generate their dice pools quickly and roll before I can even get a complete grasp of what they are doing and to whom. So often times, I did not have a chance to think about it long enough to remember. I'm constantly (OK, maybe not constantly - but more than once a session) have to ask the player to slow down and give me a moment to properly set the opposition dice.

Heh, never forget that one.

I don't forget particular rules, however (and this is embarrassing) at the end of a very long session a brawl started up against a nemesis.  I was tired, and I completely forgot to add Brawn to base damage.  The nemesis and PCs were flailing around getting good rolls, only to whiff against Soak.  The PCs had, however, (through advantages and triumphs) destroyed the nemesis' armour, whip, and other equipment, and had him basically pinned against a wall...he just wasn't going down.  Sudden AHA! moment, where I had to sheepishly explain.  We then picked up the fight normally from that point and it was over quickly in the PCs favour.

I don't forget particular rules, however (and this is embarrassing) at the end of a very long session a brawl started up against a nemesis.  I was tired, and I completely forgot to add Brawn to base damage.  The nemesis and PCs were flailing around getting good rolls, only to whiff against Soak.  The PCs had, however, (through advantages and triumphs) destroyed the nemesis' armour, whip, and other equipment, and had him basically pinned against a wall...he just wasn't going down.  Sudden AHA! moment, where I had to sheepishly explain.  We then picked up the fight normally from that point and it was over quickly in the PCs favour.

Ah this reminds me, I ALWAYS forget the automatic upgrade for firing into melee.

Same here. As well as Defense.

One of the issues at our table, that can exacerbate this problem, is that my eager players tend to generate their dice pools quickly and roll before I can even get a complete grasp of what they are doing and to whom. So often times, I did not have a chance to think about it long enough to remember. I'm constantly (OK, maybe not constantly - but more than once a session) have to ask the player to slow down and give me a moment to properly set the opposition dice.

My peeve is when my guys throw a handful of dice into a bunch of dice already laying on the table and having to constantly tell them to get the dice not in play out of the way.

My peeve is when my guys throw a handful of dice into a bunch of dice already laying on the table and having to constantly tell them to get the dice not in play out of the way.

I have to do this several times per session. Always results in the entire table shouting which ones are the correct ones at the same time.

Forgetting to kill my annoying players. I always forget about the Strain after an encounter thing. Most of my players do too, so they probably just think the game is harder than it is!

Typically, I forget to apply setback, and I have never remembered to do Obligation until the end of the session (And then promptly forget I rolled it at the start of the next) but I recently printed out a set of "GM Notes" sheets that I keep behind my screen, that have a small box in the upper left corner filled with things like, "Obligation. Setback. Weather. Random Encounters. That One Guy's Debt" just to jog my memory.

Edited by Kaalamity

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who forgets about Adversary (I have YET to remember it the three times it's come up), Strain Recovery (not in the best of places in the book if you ask me), and that targets get hit with a Crit whenever they go over their wounds (although it hasn't happened to the PCs. . .YET).

A lot of the stuff here (like firing into a melee) hasn't really happened yet, so it's hard to forget to use a rule that you don't need ^^;

I forget that advesary can apply to non-combat checks.

Do you mean can't? The description of Adversary on page 132 says, "Upgrade the difficulty of any combat check targeting this character once per rank of Adversary," so I've always assumed it only applies to attacks.

I forget that advesary can apply to non-combat checks.

Do you mean can't? The description of Adversary on page 132 says, "Upgrade the difficulty of any combat check targeting this character once per rank of Adversary," so I've always assumed it only applies to attacks.

My understanding is that "Combat Checks" is a defined term that refers to specific skills. (Ranged Light, Ranged Heavy, Gunnery, Melee, and Brawl.) Anything that wasn't one of the defined skills wasn't a Combat Check, even if you are attacking with it. Such as Coersion for Scathing Tirade or Force Power: Move Discipline check.

I'm trying to figure out how so many people forget about the Cool/Discipline check to recover strain after a fight. It's something we never forget, but maybe that's because our last game was D&D4E which drilled into us self healing after every fight with Healing Surges. The thing I have to keep reminding the guys at my table is that it's Cool or Discipline. For whatever reason they always think it's just Cool and will roll it even though their Discipline is better.

Adding Boost or Setback dice can be a struggle, but we try to remember by laying those dice in front of us when they are given so we have the visual reminder when building the dice pool.

The biggest things we forget are the things that don't come up every turn. Such as Destiny points are a thing and what they can be spent on. We're starting to get the hang of what to spend Advantages and Threat on, but it's an uphill struggle and we usually default to a few choices. It took us finally having a healer in the party for us to finally figure out the healing rules without having to look them up. I'm sure the same would happen if we ever have a black market trader. I don't think we forget a rule exists so much as forget exactly what it does but will spend 30 seconds looking in the rule book quick to try to remember.

Space combat is the biggest thing we don't know. Again, it's because we never do it and have only glanced over the rules, but we just don't know those rules and since we don't have a dedicated pilot, I think that's fine. The GM just don't have epic space battles for us. Heck, our ignorance of space combat rules is so bad that we were shooting the guns on our YT-1300 at medium and long range at Tie fighters that were returning fire at that range. Who would've thought we should've looked up the stat block of the ship and weapons we were using. Who has time to read all of that. :)

This is a great thread guys. Keep it up. It's good to see what others miss so I can try to remember that stuff too.

I've run several vehicular combat encounters and I still struggle on when attacks are directed at a particular defense zone or when the player gets to decide.

Based on my understanding it's determined by the narrative, except when opposed piloting checks and Gain the Advantage is used.

Edited by kaosoe

I'm wanting to strike a nice balance between narrative and mechanical space combat. As the GM, I get confused about where the shields are facing, where the ships are in relation to one another (particularly when there are more than two) and who's gained the advantage on who. 

I think we're going to start using tokens way more in my group when it comes to space combat, mostly to highlight range bands and ship orientation. 

Also, just to update my earlier post, I completely understand minion rules now. Who knew that reading the rule book would prove so effective?!

I've run several vehicular combat encounters and I still struggle on attacks are directed at a particular defense zone or when the player gets to decide.

Based on my understanding it's determined by the narrative, except when opposed piloting checks and Gain the Advantage is used.

Space Combat is not my strong suit in this game.  I love the narrative style, but sometimes concise specificity is a good thing also.