Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mazz0

Haven't seen a wave 5 speculation thread for a while

182 posts in this topic

Prequel ain't happening.

It makes no sense with Disney's current "don't touch the prequels with at ten foot pole" approach, and it doesn't make sense with X-wing.

FFG are not WotC. They are not going to introduce two new factions when they're only going to be releasing them for a year and when they'll be very limited in the meta. This is a Rebels Versus Empire game and while they're willing to stretch that (E-wing) if it doesn't fit under either faction, it ain't happenin'.

Not to mention CW ships are outclassed by GCW ships.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Ugh I Quoted the Wrong Guy!  Sorry!

Edited by JCDisaray

Again, really wish they would install an unlike button.

Since I'm already posting: Give me 2 waves of prequel ships before the new movies give us new ships: Droid star-fighters (re-establish the empire's swarm; not that they really need it but at least we'd have variety), fanblades (crazy agility and maneuvers), Kwings (on a 2 wide base!), Arc-170, Jedi Starfighter...

Now this really made me throw up in my mouth!

Here's the problem with prequel ships. They would have to be worse than rebellion era ships. The tech was worse, the ships were worse. You'll just end up with a bunch of cheap paper ships (think Z95 stats....but worse), we have enough swarmy ships.

You can look me in the eyes and tell me that the Naboo Starfighter would have a snowball's chance in hell of competing against an Xwing.

I think divergence from the EU will mainly be around what the characters/new governments do, but 'background' details like ships from the EU will be around.  Need Luke to go test-pilot the new starfighter for a plot hook? Rather than reinvent the wheel just grab the E-wing off the EU shelf.

The FFG guys talk about this game being a labor of love and them being immersed in the star wars universe like most geeks in the 25-45 age range.  I expect that most of them spent a lot of time playing Starwars: X-wing alliance (and probably the precursors).  My understanding is that the ships from this game had to be given the Lucas stamp of approval (and some had to be redesigned to get it) so they seem to me to be a bit more 'blessed' than most EU stuff.

Problem is, a lot of rebel vessels like the IRD Starfighter, R-41 Starchaser, Razor Fighter, Planetary Defense Fighter, etc are stated to be very similar to the Headhunter in performance.  You end up with minor variants of the Headhunter (PDF gets an R2, R-41 gets the cannon icon, IRD I think almost a total copy)

Pinook fighter is one of the few standouts, but because it is crappy!  It is described as "underpowered, undergunned, poorly shielded, and inadequately armored" which makes me think at BEST it's stats would be would be equal to the headhunter but lacking missiles, and honestly should lack some hull and the dial be more like Y wing than X wing.  One interesting thing is that it is mentioned as having flares/chaff for anti-missile.  I could see it being included in the same wave as the Imperials get a ship with a lot of missiles/torpedos as a cheap and weak fighter that has a feature or upgrade card that allows it to lead the rest of the team and neutralize a missile alpha strike.

Cloak shape fighter seems to be pretty much on par with the Headhunter, but it is also described as very customizable. Some sources don't even list shields for the 'base' model.  It would have a very interesting appearance on the peg.  Maybe it could be the one ship that takes multiple modification cards, each card at a slight discount.

Tuscan Q-8 has a mix of stats, some claim it has quad lasers plus ion cannons while others claim just a pair of lasers.  But basically it is the Y-wing creators offering a fighter model.   This all ads up to some potential.  X wing firepower and a bit more durability, a dial that is between X and Y, and the ability to equip cannon cards.One interesting thing is that it has two missile/torpedo bays, one fore and one aft.   But here's the twist, give it the ability to fire missiles/torpedos in the rear ark (also? only?)  It isn't really stated that the aft missile launcher fires backwards (and that's not how it played in XWing alliance) but that seems enough of a twist to make it an interesting addition to the tabletop.    OOPS.  Got my two most interesting X-Wing:Alliance ships blended together into one.  It's they PREYBIRD that has both a fore and aft missile bay.

Preybird. Another ship with performance that is similar to the Headhunter.  It actually is noted as being a little less maneuverable and exceptionally large for a starfighter of it's class, but this at least gives it durable hull.  With guns that would give it the attack value of 2, plus missiles, a stronger hull just doesn't give enough differentiation between it and the Headhunter, even if the model would be physically larger.  One interesting thing is that it has two missile/torpedo bays, one fore and one aft.   But here's the twist, give it the ability to fire missiles/torpedos in the rear ark (also? only?)  It isn't really stated that the aft missile launcher fires backwards (and that's not how it played in XWing alliance) but that seems enough of a twist to make it an interesting addition to the tabletop.  

Twing = Awing but crappier.  Less manuverable, plus weaker shield and hull.  Maybe take A wing stats and knock off the evade icon and reduce the hull by a point, and make it dirt cheap.  Just like the Z is a cheap version of the Xwing, the T wing could be the economy version of the A wing.

My predictions for Rebels are:

T wing  (most likely but least hoped for)

Cloakshape (highly likely but not very hoped for)

Pinook (unlikely, but I'd really like to see a cheap anti missile ship)

Tuscan (unlikely, but I'd really like to see an X-wing/Y-wing mashup)

Empire

Skipray Blastboat

Tie Aggressor (unshielded tie...but with a turret on the tail!)

Edited by akodo1

Actually the tech was probably about the same. Bear in mind the technology hadn't really changed in 4000 years. When you have a huge galactic republic/empire you would never get massive leaps in technology, because a lot of the species are already advanced enough to have discovered every technology of use. For any given race there is always an older more advanced race.

The ships from the clone wars era are only outdated because they are no longer in production and parts are scarce. Much like cars from the 80's and before. Look after them well and they would still be servicable.

And frankly the Naboo star fighter wouldn't be much different than an A-wing. Highly mobile, lightly armed, but also limited production based on Naboo for the Naboo PDF. Also lacking a hyperdrive not all that useful.

Honestly I'd wouldn't mind seeing Jedi starfighters and Jedi interceptors, but I don't think it is likely. I am in favour of a neutral faction though.

aadh likes this

Actually the tech was probably about the same. Bear in mind the technology hadn't really changed in 4000 years. When you have a huge galactic republic/empire you would never get massive leaps in technology, because a lot of the species are already advanced enough to have discovered every technology of use. For any given race there is always an older more advanced race.

The ships from the clone wars era are only outdated because they are no longer in production and parts are scarce. Much like cars from the 80's and before. Look after them well and they would still be servicable.

And frankly the Naboo star fighter wouldn't be much different than an A-wing. Highly mobile, lightly armed, but also limited production based on Naboo for the Naboo PDF. Also lacking a hyperdrive not all that useful.

Honestly I'd wouldn't mind seeing Jedi starfighters and Jedi interceptors, but I don't think it is likely. I am in favour of a neutral faction though.

The Naboo Star fighter was outdated and considered antique by the time of the rebellion era.  So it isn't a suitable candidate.  Nor is the Jedi Starfighter or Interceptor since Jedi are all but extinct during the rebellion era.

Suitable CW era ships that we could see are those ships that were still in service by the Empire but being phased out.  The ARC-170 is an example of this and both sides used them (The Empire because they had plenty of them.  The Rebels because they could be purchased cheaply as the Empire got rid of its stocks.).

I think that fighters have been 'done'...we may see more "ace" packs but I think the meta is shifting towards larger ships.

How can you say that when the TIE Avenger and Assault Gunboat haven't been created yet! Both of those ships can be segways to a mechanic for Beam weapons right there!

I think that fighters have been 'done'...we may see more "ace" packs but I think the meta is shifting towards larger ships.

How can you say that when the TIE Avenger and Assault Gunboat haven't been created yet! Both of those ships can be segways to a mechanic for Beam weapons right there!

Ladies and gentlemen, the first wave 5 ship:

segway-x2-turf.jpg

It has sort of an Imperial look to it, wouldn't you say?

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Ladies and gentlemen, the first wave 5 ship:

segway-x2-turf.jpg

It has sort of an Imperial look to it, wouldn't you say?

That's the TIE Security, right?

The Naboo Star fighter was outdated and considered antique by the time of the rebellion era.  So it isn't a suitable candidate.  Nor is the Jedi Starfighter or Interceptor since Jedi are all but extinct during the rebellion era.

Suitable CW era ships that we could see are those ships that were still in service by the Empire but being phased out.  The ARC-170 is an example of this and both sides used them (The Empire because they had plenty of them.  The Rebels because they could be purchased cheaply as the Empire got rid of its stocks.).

Yes but he's right isn't he that the technology in the Star Wars universe was pretty much unchanged since at least the Knights of the Old Republic era, so even a ship considered antique would be pretty much modern.

As for Jedi Starfighters not being viable - just cos the Jedi are gone doesn't mean the model of ship they used would be a problem. Pilot cards could be an issue though.

Personally I'd have a new core set - basically introducing new factions that would be equivalent to the current ones, so you could play them thematically on their own, or if you wanted you could mix them up, with Republic ships being allowable in Rebel lists and Seperatist ships allowable in Imperial lists.

Rebels

T-Wing

Outrider

Imperials

TIE Avenger

Assault Gunboat

That's what I'd like to see. The T-Wing, TIE Avenger and Assault Gunboat because I spent hours flying these ships (except the T-Wing, which I was blowing up!) on X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. The Outrider, just seems to be an obvious choice based on it's relative prominence compared to some of the other potentials. Plus, Imps currently have two large ships and Rebels only one.

Again, really wish they would install an unlike button.

Check out the link in my signature. I've posted in the general discussion forum about a dislike button because it is something I'd like to see.

/\  good call.  

It has been mentioned that apparently there will only be another 16 ships released. That would make four more waves but I highly doubt that FFG would stop there. This game has also been described as one of their biggest money makers. So here is as thorough prediction as I can think of, with eight rebel and eight empire ships. Perhaps Pirates, Planetary Defense, Sequel and Prequel ships will get future releases after the "16" are out.

Hey, I can dream. Even if it is an insane thought to many.

So here are my choice of 16, in order of "I want them":

REBELS

YT-2400/Outrider

VCX-100/Ghost

Cloakshape Fighter

M-Wing

Rebel Aces

?

?

EMPIRE

Aggressor Assault Fighter/IG-2000

YV-666/Hounds Tooth

StarViper

V-Wing

Tie Avenger

Skipray Blastboat

Imperial Aces

Of the options above, the YT-2400 and Aggressor Assault Fighter are the two large ships I most want. Cloakshape Fighter and StarViper are the two ships I want most.

Hopefully there will be two Empire Huge ships and a Rebel and Empire Huge ship release mixed in.

You think there'll be four more waves of increasingly obscure EU ships before they produce more ships from the canon source?  I'd be surprised if that's true.

I'm thinking the tie scout might be a viable soon to be released ship. They already have a ton of sensor-ish upgrades and co pilots out there to make it a cheap fighter with lots of support options.

Yeah, that quote is over a year old. I highly doubt they stopped work on more ships once they hit the 40 ship mark.

Honestly, I think they'll keep making ships until they run out of original trilogy, prequel trilogy, sequel trilogy and extended universe ships.

Might have caused a misunderstanding with my post (I talk too much). It was the 16 ships I'd most like to see IF there were only 16. But I could only think of 6 Rebels, and even then I cheated by putting "Aces" for them and Empire.

As long as there's no objections (looking at you Disney) I hope FFG will be releasing new waves until I'm old, dead and buried.

The tech may have been the same, but there may have been cases where just more refined versions using the same tech came about.  Also there were new developments just not always groundbreaking.

There might be some clone war era or even pre clone war era starships that were equal to or superior to the Xwing.  I think the Jedi Starfighter and ARC-170 may fall into those categories.  We also can concoct a good reason for them not being found in the Rebellion era--Jedi Starfighters were probably expensive with very limited production, and ARC-170s may have had their shipyards retooled to maker other ships (maybe capitol or maybe TIEs) once clone troopers were abandoned.

The fluff is pretty clear that 'in it's day' the Z95 headhunter was a good and highly regarded ship, but the Xwing is better.

If a bunch of other old ships were equal to or better than the Xwing, then those companies would have kept on making and selling them.  If a bunch of other older ships were equal or better than the Z95, then the Z95 wouldn't have been held in high regard.

Making many ships of the Z95 era equal to or superior to the X wing is counter to cannon.

Also, for many of the unaligned fighters from Xwing Alliance video game, the fluff states they were on par with Z95s 

Tie Avenger or Assault Gunboat or Tie Aggressor

IG2000 or Mist Hunter

?-Wing (replace the ? with a letter of your choice - we have all the important already)

YT-2400

This is really quite naughty:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIE-Aggressor-TIE-Variant-Star-Wars-X-Wing-Miniatures-Custom-Model-/181395572507?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item2a3c04c71b

a pretty bad dial having a slot for a 2nd member is good but no barrel roll there is no tie that cant do a barrel roll !! i do not like dat !!! and 23 points ouch.... for ps4 sounds like advance ps4 without shielding

Edited by SoulCrusherEx

now to my wishlist

first of all Tie aggressor and the Tie Vanguard

for the rebels T-wing and the K-wing

and please Disney/FFG-TV pimp my X wing game with a third faction called the outlaws where we finnaly can play pirate/bountyhunter and smugglers in one unified faction !! maybe aa forth faction as planetary civil defense forces too ;P ? now iam asking to much i asume

GrandAdmiralCrunch likes this

I know it and you are all wrong. You wouldn't believe it, if I would spoil it, so I shut up and enjoy reading. :)