Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mazz0

Haven't seen a wave 5 speculation thread for a while

182 posts in this topic

Oh, I see. Your point was purely hypothetical.

Except for the first 1/2:

"FFG is obligated to do whatever Disney tells them they can do with the X-Wing product line. If FFG did something that upset Disney, you can kiss this game goodbye."

That's a fact. Disney pulls the license, this game is done. FFG has to play nice-nice with Disney.

While Disney may own LFL now, it really doesn't matter. What you are talking about is pretty standard operating procedure for LFL in the past. LFL has had the collectible games tie in to the new releases before. Hell, they forced Episode I into the Decipher card game. WOTC was supposed to be part of the TFU marketing blitz. But the mini set was allowed to release a year early. FFG is still a licensor from LFL. I would be shocked if LFL did not have a good bit of control. The only licensors who are more controlling is Toho over Godzilla.

That said, why would FFG have issues with using the new stuff from Rebels and/or Episode VII. Neither really break the time period. And unlike the prequels, there is not nearly as much baggage. It really is win win for FFG to go along with being a cog in the great Star Wars marketing blitz.

DR4CO likes this

Wave 5

IG-88 / Punishing One / Mist Hunter (2 of these Empire)

Outrider / K-wing (Rebel)

The K-Wing is too far in the future. It's outside the Rebellion Era.

Not entirely true: Eating A'Boat is shooting at Yevethan D-types (Black Fleet Crisis and the debut of the K-wing).

That's still wtihin the confines of the Galactic Civil War. Wookiepedia claims this lasted between 2BBY and 19ABY, with the Black Fleet Crisis happening in 16-17.

If I were to guess, I'd say FFG's X-Wing target lies within the Rebellion and New Republic publishing eras, so between 0-25 ABY. This covers all the stuff we knew in the classic era plus some extra cool ships people knew and loved from the tie-in novels that happened afterward. People love Z-95s, some people like K-Wings, Uglies, and all the stuff from the flight simulators which happen around that time.

X-Wing will take material from other eras to support their focus on this period, but none of it will be on the stage as it were. N1 fighters are too outside the scope, as are ARC-170s. It's not their era, not for X-Wing. But clone-wars era weapons might appear to shore up "modern" fighters.

George Lucas sold the MOVIE rights for more Star Wars episodes. Did he sell the Licensing too? It was the ONE thing that let him finance all his movies after Star Wars. I dont know the answer to that, and doubt anyone else here really knows either. Maybe Disney owns the licensing for the movies it produces and George Lucas owns all the rest? The licensing rights for movies were no big deal UNTIL Star Wars. If I were George Id take the licensing rights for episodes 1-6 to the grave, and let Mr. Mouse have the rest.

Lucas sold EVERYTHING. Lucasfilm, Lucasarts, Skywalker Sound, ILM, and probably a few more minor subsidiaries. And Disney bought it for dirt cheap.

George Lucas sold the MOVIE rights for more Star Wars episodes.

He sold the whole IP along with LFL to Disney. They wouldn't of paid that much money for just the movies...

Lucas sold EVERYTHING. Lucasfilm, Lucasarts, Skywalker Sound, ILM, and probably a few more minor subsidiaries. And Disney bought it for dirt cheap.

The copyrights on xwing are Fantasy Flight/LFL(lucas film licensing) WHY not DISNEY? It raises doubts as to what was and wasnt sold.

The copyrights on xwing are Fantasy Flight/LFL(lucas film licensing) WHY not DISNEY?

Because LFL still owns the copyright to X-Wings, Tie Fighters, Falcon, ect... LFL owns the IP and Disney ownes LFL. It's just as simple as that.

Plus that it costs money to transfer IP ownership, money that Disney would of spent for nothing, since as long as they own LFL they own all IP's held under LFL.

The copyrights on xwing are Fantasy Flight/LFL(lucas film licensing) WHY not DISNEY? It raises doubts as to what was and wasnt sold.

Because Disney is the parent corporation doesn't mean that the subsidiary companies don't function under their own names.

The deal was for 4 BILLION DOLLARS!!! Not dirt cheap. I got this blurb from the Disney site itself.

Founded by George Lucas in 1971, Lucasfilm is a privately held, fully-integrated entertainment company. In addition to its motion-picture and television production operations, the company's global activities include Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, serving the digital needs of the entertainment industry for visual-effects and audio post-production; LucasArts, a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software worldwide; Lucas Licensing, which manages the global merchandising activities for Lucasfilm's entertainment properties; Lucasfilm Animation; and Lucas Online creates Internet-based content for Lucasfilm's entertainment properties and businesses. Additionally, Lucasfilm Singapore, produces digital animated content for film and television, as well as visual effects for feature films and multi-platform games. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in San Francisco, California.

Yup it looks like he sold the whole kit and kaboodle. So we ARE are playing a Disney themed game now. They control all.

ALL HAIL MISTER MOUSE!

I gotta jump in here.

I think that fighters have been 'done'...we may see more "ace" packs but I think the meta is shifting towards larger ships.

for wave 5, I predict:

Rebel

YT-2400

Nebulon-B Frigate

Empire

Pursuer Class Enforcement Ship  (Slave II)

Corellian Gunship

AgentShadow likes this

I gotta jump in here.

I think that fighters have been 'done'...we may see more "ace" packs but I think the meta is shifting towards larger ships.

for wave 5, I predict:

Rebel

YT-2400

Nebulon-B Frigate

Empire

Corellian Gunship

I'd love a Nebulon-B Frigate, but I don't see it happening - I think the Corvette is about as big as they can reasonably go, and the Frigate isn't just a little bit bigger.

Forget all this discussion, Remember that Rebels in in the FAll, so if Disney follow the tradition of SW that have a multiplatafdorm launch of a product, remember Shadows of the Empire, Force Unleashed, etc, the next wave will be with the ships of Rebels, so the Outrider and the Bounty Hunters' ships wiil need to wait to other wave, greettings. 

I agree with this.  I bet we will at least see the Ghost for Rebels and the inquisitor TIE for empire. 

i know i remember an interveiw with FFG and the guy said only rebel era ships and they had 32 planned. that was last year when i saw the video.

that being said and with the Ewing, i think it is safe to assume we could see any ship from A New Hope through the dark horse comics and novels that came during the same time period.

ships that come to mind:

cloak shape fighter

prey bird

gun boat

missile boat

hounds tooth

virago

IG-2000

skipray blast boat

epic:

corellian gunship (about the same size as CR-90 but built with a bunch of anti-fighter turrets)

now, with 16 ships released we are only half way to where they planned on going. so i cannot think of 16 more ships, i beleive we will be seeing ships from the new movies in the future.

I gotta jump in here.

for wave 5, I predict:

Rebel

YT-2400

Nebulon-B Frigate

Empire

Corellian Gunship

I'd love a Nebulon-B Frigate, but I don't see it happening - I think the Corvette is about as big as they can reasonably go, and the Frigate isn't just a little bit bigger.

Agreed.  Also the Nebulon B was built to engage snub fighters which would possibly make it a little too powerful for this game setting.