Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mazz0

Haven't seen a wave 5 speculation thread for a while

182 posts in this topic

This has all been done before (Canonization I mean).

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there was the Original Trilogy - Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi (I still refuse to call them Episodes IV, V, and VI)

These were like the 10 commandments - Thou shalt NOT write stories that took place before Star Wars, as George had a plan in mind to revisit a prequel saga.  Thou shalt NOT write stories after Return of the Jedi.

Then a funny thing happened.  He started making money by the boatload on licensing and toys.  He opened things up slightly..  Comics were made that took place during the movie period (Galactic Civil War) - Marvel had these rights.  Then he licensed out authors to write stories as well - Splinter of the Mind's Eye takes place between Star Wars and Empire.  There were 2 series that took place before Star Wars, and told a back story about Han Solo - Han Solo at Stars' End, Han Solo's Revenge, and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy.  There was a series about Lando as well - Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu, Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon, and Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of Thonboka (I still have my original Hardcovers of all 6 of these books..).

Everything was good for a time, but anything further back than these 'prequel' series was verboten.  Anything written that took place after ROTJ was also off limits.  Then, in the early 90's, Lucas thought to himself, maybe I'll open up things to be written that take place after ROTJ, and thus Timothy Zahn (Praise Be Unto Him) created the Thrawn Trilogy, and thus the Expanded Universe was truly born.

What came after was a deluge of comics - with licensing deals moving to Dark Horse, Books moving from Del Rey to Bantam, Video Games and the like.

NONE of these were considered canon.  Lucas had always stated that the Movies stood on their own.  Then a few years later, these rules were slackened a bit.  Certain things had varying degrees of canonicity (is that a word? Let's say it is..)

Movies have always been number 1, Books 2, Comics 3, Video games fell in last..

Now that Disney has taken the reins from LFL, they haven't discarded anything, they've just backpedalled a bit in what they consider to be canon.  Movies are considered canon only.  Anything that is EU MAY be used in future movie projects.  This was done so that JJ, and whoever comes after him isn't bound by the EU, and has some freedom.  Are Han and Leia married??  Maybe.  According to the books they are.  According to the books, they have a few kids too.  But JJ doesn't have to go by the books.  He can if he wishes, and once he does commit it to the screen, it shall be forever set in digital stone as canon.

So, after this long winded rant, does this mean that FFG can't use EU stuff?  Hell no!  They can likely do whatever they like - Disney won't care, as long as they make money from it, and it doesn't step on the toes of upcoming releases.

stegocent, Sarone, Eggs and 3 others like this

Movies are considered canon only.

That's not true.

From this point everything released by Disney/LFL story group will be considered canon. There's now only 2 levels. Canon and Legends.

Here's the quote.

On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.

This has all been done before...

...and will be done again?

Are you mixing franchises?!?

Possibly.  It's almost May 4th, and I need to get my geek on.

Sarone likes this

As a fan of the prequel trilogy, I'm fine with FFG sticking with OT ships.  The game's got a nice Rebellion vs. Empire feel, and doesn't really need the addition of two new factions.  I've never really cared about the EU, so I don't have any emotional attachment to it, but as a source of more ships, I'm all for it.  As long as the focus is small ships > large ships > huge ships, then FFG will continue to receive a portion of my disposable income.

Movies are considered canon only.

That's not true.

From this point everything released by Disney/LFL story group will be considered canon. There's now only 2 levels. Canon and Legends.

Here's the quote.

On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.

You misunderstood what I was saying.  Anything previously released (movie wise) is considered Canon only.  Anything that comes now will also be considered canon (not necessarily movies) if that makes sense.  What I meant was that the EU as it stood prior to Disney's announcement is null and void. Not canon.  The movies were.  Now whatever is published on a go forward will be the new canon..

This has all been done before...

...and will be done again?

Are you mixing franchises?!?

It's half Star Wars and half Ecclesiastes.

They wrapped it off from The Cycle of Time (The Sacrad Scrolls)

…and as noted upthread, the announcement makes the Outrider undeniable canon, since it has a cameo in Lucas' most recent pointless rejiggering of A New Hope.

Without wanting to totally derail the thread, is it actually possibly to get unedited, unrevised, original theatrical versions of the Original Trilogy any more?

Not that I know of, no. Each new pointless rejiggering is the authoritative pointless rejiggering, and Lucas would really prefer you forgot that there were earlier pointless rejiggerings.

...tongue-in-cheek, obviously, but as far as I know it really is Lucasfilm's policy.

Here is the link in case anyone wishes to read the announcement..

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

Edited by Papamambo

No citation, but I thought that FFG does not have license to prequel ships.

I keep hearing that, but have never seen anything that backs it up.

It doesn't actually make sense, why would the Star Wars license only include the OT movies? FFG said they wanted to stick to OT stuff, but the idea that the license only covers one set of movies just doesn't make sense logically.

Especially when you consider that they've included things that were see in Eps 1-3.

No, no they have not actually included one single image from the prequel trilogy, in xwing, swlcg, or to the best of my knowledge the rpg materials, and god bless them for it. They have included things from star wars old republic (sort of) but that is not even close to the same thing. They'll probably use some stuff from shadows of the empire. I don't think EU stuff being declared canon or not really matters to this game. Disney just did that so that there wouldn't be canon in the way of their timeline, and so they could sell more copies of their all new books (it's not a coincidence that they announced 4 novels the day after they denounced the old canon).

It doesn't actually make sense, why would the Star Wars license only include the OT movies? FFG said they wanted to stick to OT stuff, but the idea that the license only covers one set of movies just doesn't make sense logically.

Especially when you consider that they've included things that were see in Eps 1-3.

No, no they have not actually included one single image from the prequel trilogy, in xwing, swlcg, or to the best of my knowledge the rpg materials, and god bless them for it. They have included things from star wars old republic (sort of) but that is not even close to the same thing. They'll probably use some stuff from shadows of the empire. I don't think EU stuff being declared canon or not really matters to this game. Disney just did that so that there wouldn't be canon in the way of their timeline, and so they could sell more copies of their all new books (it's not a coincidence that they announced 4 novels the day after they denounced the old canon).

The RPG includes battle droids from the prequels (and HK47, who's waaaaaay pre-prequel!), a character that looks a lot like the guy who owned Shmii and Anakin and I think the walkers in the rule book that look like proto-ATSTs are prequel models (but I may be wrong about them).

Here's my take on what we are going to see over the year and a half:

1. Outrider

2. Assault Gunboat

3. The new Tie from Star Wars: Rebels

4. The hero transport ship from Star Wars: Rebels

5. A bunch of stuff from episode 7.

AgentShadow likes this

No, no they have not actually included one single image from the prequel trilogy, in xwing, swlcg, or to the best of my knowledge the rpg materials, and god bless them for it.

Seismic Charges are from the Prequel movies. There is to my knowledge no image of it prior to being see in Attack of the Clones.

The art may not be a screen capture, but it's clearly the same thing we saw in that movie.

I also don't know of any place the corellian star shuttle was seen prior to TPM.

sarvinator likes this

They haven't included "images" from the prequels, but they have certainly taken items from them that didn't appear in the OT. Seismic charges are one example. The senator's shuttle is another.

Edited by sarvinator

Here's my take on what we are going to see over the year and a half:

1. Outrider

2. Assault Gunboat

3. The new Tie from Star Wars: Rebels

4. The hero transport ship from Star Wars: Rebels

5. A bunch of stuff from episode 7.

How much, expressed as a %, that I want what you said:

1. Me want 100%

2. Me want 80%

3. Me no want that, but say 20% just in case I change my mind

4. Me want 95%

5. Me going to wait but I reckon 50%

But I really, really, really want the YT-2400/Outrider and will resort to Shapeways if FFG don't produce one

aadh and sarvinator like this

They haven't included "images" from the prequels, but they have certainly taken items from them that didn't appear in the OT. Seismic charges are one example. The senator's shuttle is another.

Predator's another. So what? FFG hasn't thrown out the PT as an art resource. But they won't make things that don't fit. N-1, Delta-7, Eta-2, Vulture, Tri, Nantex, V-19 Torrent, V-wing and ARC-170? They don't fit.

Edited by Lagomorphia

Tie Avenger or Assault Gunboat or Tie Aggressor

IG2000 or Mist Hunter

?-Wing (replace the ? with a letter of your choice - we have all the important already)

YT-2400

Edited by TheRealStarkiller
AgentShadow likes this

Tie Avenger or Assault Gunboat or Tie Aggressor

IG2000 or Mist Hunter

?-Wing (replace the ? with a letter of your choice - we have all the important already)

YT-2400

I'm not a fan of the IG2000, but an IG88 card would be so cool!

Predator's another. So what? FFG hasn't thrown out the PT as an art resource. But they won't make things that don't fit. N-1, Delta-7, Eta-2, Vulture, Tri, Nantex, V-19 Torrent, V-wing and ARC-170? They don't fit.

Completely I agree. I was just contesting the previous comment that nothing from the prequels had been used so far. I don't want any prequel ships and don't think FFG does either.

I was just contesting the previous comment that nothing from the prequels had been used so far. I don't want any prequel ships and don't think FFG does either.

Anybody else notice the YT-1300, possibly the Millennium Falcon, was in Revenge of the Sith. Forum won't let me post a picture but I can see about a video.

Edit: 

Yep, my point is dump since it originated from the original trilogy and therefore is an original trilogy NOT prequel ship. But is that the direction this thread is going?

I don't want prequel ships either, but would gladly take as much EU stuff as FFG is willing and able to produce.

Edit: this comment was in agreement with what sarvinator said. Didn't want to appear sarcastic.

Edited by AgentShadow