Sign in to follow this  
Kelvan

2 Ship Rebel build vs 5 ship Rebel Build (The winning squad will shock you)

Alex brings up a good point. Theoretically Jake did exactly what he was supposed to: tackle the hell out Chewie and light him up. I think he got 3 good rounds of a locked down ship. Either way it's one hell of a good first game to the Cup. It's like when the NFL starts the regular season off with 2 very good teams from the year before.

Alex brings up a good point. Theoretically Jake did exactly what he was supposed to: tackle the hell out Chewie and light him up. I think he got 3 good rounds of a locked down ship. Either way it's one hell of a good first game to the Cup. It's like when the NFL starts the regular season off with 2 very good teams from the year before.

Except this year, when the first Monday Night Football of the Season is the Lions vs. Giants....  :(

Am i doing this correctly? i have all the modules loaded, then when i launch the game file i pick observer right?

Then i push the map button and the map with chewie and the bwing opens, but it just sits there.

figured it out, gotta push the little button once for each move

Edited by comawhite

Except this year, when the first Monday Night Football of the Season is the Lions vs. Giants....   :(

What about the standard Thursday Night Game between the reigning superbowl champion and someone else hand picked to be an awesome game?  This year being Seahawks vs. Packers... Seems like a good game to me.

Not to steal Theorist thunder.   I didn't even replay the match but I can guess what all happened.  Just by looking at both teams pilot skill and all the movement add on that Theorist had.   He got to move his pilots last and with all these abilities it gives you a ton of options to get an optimal position over your opponent.    Similar things have been done with high PS interceptors builds.   Theorist build is better then Interceptor version because both ships should survive at least one round of shots.   I think its a very creative and interesting build.  As much as I play this game, I'm always impressed with new builds people come out with.   However I don't think Theorist will fair to well when he runs that build against a higher pilot skill.    And Kudos to both on always playing new builds.

Personally I think Theorist is really good at maneuvering with boost, and has parlayed it into a lot of success. But it creates a lot of constraints from a list-building standpoint: he likes to have high PS, boost and barrel roll, and if possible PTL, and the large investment in Engine Upgrades will be inefficient for most players.

So I don't think it's a particularly good build for anyone who isn't him, and I don't think even he would try to run it if he thought there was a substantial risk of running up against higher PS than his 6/5.

Am i doing this correctly? i have all the modules loaded, then when i launch the game file i pick observer right?

Then i push the map button and the map with chewie and the bwing opens, but it just sits there.

figured it out, gotta push the little button once for each move

page down actually is the shortcut key for this... makes it take 1/3 of the time.

Except this year, when the first Monday Night Football of the Season is the Lions vs. Giants....   :(

What about the standard Thursday Night Game between the reigning superbowl champion and someone else hand picked to be an awesome game?  This year being Seahawks vs. Packers... Seems like a good game to me.

I always forget about the Thursday games...that's X-Wing night!

Vorpal my guess is that it only works for a tournament that you can pick two squads for.

That's something I love about this tournament format. I think the ability to choose between two squads may give us the opportunity to see a few lists that are more "risky" than you would see in a traditional tournament format. Plus, since people choose their lists in secret, it's going to be a lot of fun to watch how players handle the "Princess Bride" style mind-games. How risky are people willing to be?  :ph34r:

I didn't watch the game log, but I will admit at initial glance I'd be surprised.  Mainly due to the hit point difference, let alone attack dice.

The 2 ship squad has 23 hit points which is decent, but all are 1 agility which is bad.

The 5 ship squad has a whopping 34 hit points which is strong, plus 10 of them are 2 agility.

From what people are saying the falcon was trapped for several turns, so I would think that means lots of close range shots coming in that should take it down pretty quick.  But his 2 ships must have been really dealing out the damage.

I think a dual falcon, or 4 RGP with ptl would be some of the bigger challenges for that squad.

Vorpal my guess is that it only works for a tournament that you can pick two squads for.

That's something I love about this tournament format. I think the ability to choose between two squads may give us the opportunity to see a few lists that are more "risky" than you would see in a traditional tournament format. Plus, since people choose their lists in secret, it's going to be a lot of fun to watch how players handle the "Princess Bride" style mind-games. How risky are people willing to be?  :ph34r:

When people have called for "sideboards" this idea of bringing a pair of lists the choosing which to play after seeing your opponent's pair is really an interesting option.  Someone post a thread where you bring two lists but your opponent gets to pick which just tells me to make two identical, or nearly identical, lists.  Bring two lists then pick one certainly would make for a wider number of lists as you could chance running "solution" type lists which may not run into what they are designed to solve.

When people have called for "sideboards" this idea of bringing a pair of lists the choosing which to play after seeing your opponent's pair is really an interesting option.

Not sure if you meant this tournament or a different format entirely, but in this Vassal Tournament, both players reveal their squad simultaneously. Note: I'm not in the tournament, not enough time.

Squad Building

For this event you will need to build 2 standard 100 point squads.  Squads will be limited to Wave 1 - 3 and Imperial Aces.  The new X-Wing pilots in the Transport are not legal nor are any of the extra's ships and cards from wave 4.  You may play either faction or 1 of each.  For example you could run an Elite swarm and Biggs walks the Dogs.  You could build to counter the Meta, or try something crazy to surprise people.  If one of your lists just isn't working for you, you now have something to fall back on.  A second list opens up some options for you, and can keep your opponents guessing on what you might pick.

Interesting concept. Have you thought about how to make the squad reveal "fair", so one player doesn't know the other's squad first, and choose the counter-squad appropriately?

Either way, could make for some interesting squad combinations. For example you could have one squad of elite interceptors, and then something like Biggs walks the Dogs, or a swarm in case your opponent has a turret list.

JFunk came up with a great way to do the reveal.  Each player will choose a maneuver on the dial.  1 straight = Squad 1, 2 straight = squad 2.  Both players reveal.  If a player try's to change while the dial is on the board an *** Illegal Move *** show's up.  Simple and straight forward.

When people have called for "sideboards" this idea of bringing a pair of lists the choosing which to play after seeing your opponent's pair is really an interesting option.

Not sure if you meant this tournament or a different format entirely, but in this Vassal Tournament, both players reveal their squad simultaneously. Note: I'm not in the tournament, not enough time.

I believe his point was that you get to know what your opponent's lists are before you pick your own.  You both choose and reveal at the same time, but you know what you're potentially flying against before you do.

I believe his point was that you get to know what your opponent's lists are before you pick your own.  You both choose and reveal at the same time, but you know what you're potentially flying against before you do.

I couldn't/wouldn't watch this so I don't know how it worked there.

IF you do get to bring two squadrons to a tournament and can use either one that could introduce some variety but unless you know what your opponent could be playing it really doesn't help anymore than just bringing a single squadron.  The idea is that you both "reveal" the squadron that will be used at the same time but you do get a little bit of "advanced recon" to know what you might be facing which is seeing the opponent's lists before choosing which of yours to lose.

I'd hate to see a "bring two squadrons then just pick which one to use at the start of each game" because it would really penalize someone who can't be watching multiple games and doesn't have the network of contact the other player may have.  I mean if you and I sit down after getting matched up we exchange lists for a brief review, then pick which of our lists we want to use based on what we saw is a LOT fairer to me than when you and I get matched up, you go talk with any of your friends who may have seen what I've been playing, then we sit down and I blindly pick which one to use while you get to choose based on what you know I have.

I couldn't/wouldn't watch this so I don't know how it worked there.

IF you do get to bring two squadrons to a tournament and can use either one that could introduce some variety but unless you know what your opponent could be playing it really doesn't help anymore than just bringing a single squadron.  The idea is that you both "reveal" the squadron that will be used at the same time but you do get a little bit of "advanced recon" to know what you might be facing which is seeing the opponent's lists before choosing which of yours to lose.

I'd hate to see a "bring two squadrons then just pick which one to use at the start of each game" because it would really penalize someone who can't be watching multiple games and doesn't have the network of contact the other player may have.  I mean if you and I sit down after getting matched up we exchange lists for a brief review, then pick which of our lists we want to use based on what we saw is a LOT fairer to me than when you and I get matched up, you go talk with any of your friends who may have seen what I've been playing, then we sit down and I blindly pick which one to use while you get to choose based on what you know I have.

You know both lists beforehand.  All have been published and can be found here:  http://teamcovenant.com/mrfroggies/2014/04/28/x-wing-galactic-cup-player-list-update/

Thanks for posting this match. Really good battle and really good piloting from both. Chewie was very lucky to survive the early onslaught.

Fantastic stuff from both players