Sign in to follow this  
Kelvan

2 Ship Rebel build vs 5 ship Rebel Build (The winning squad will shock you)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m05zaa9esn48imj/GC%20theorist%20vs%20atomicboxer.vlog

Need to have VASSAL to run. This is a match from the Galactic World Cup featuring two of the top xwing players in the World

Theorist (Top 8 or better in Vassal 2 and 3) and Atomicboxer (Gencon US Champion)

Holy cow! That's one hell of a way to start off the Galactic Cup.

Definitely one of the best games of X-Wing I've seen since the Worlds finals. Very entertaining. I think it's worth downloading Vassal just to watch it. Either player could have won this game. I'm still pretty new to X-Wing, but the trap AtomicBoxer set up for Chewbacca was very impressive to me. Theorist put on a clinic on how to use Ibtisam and Engine Upgrade. 

@Kelvan linked to the squads in the original post, but for the lazy I've written them out here:

AtomicBoxer: BXXYY

B-Wing / Blue Squadron Pilot

X-Wing / Rookie Pilot (x2)

Y-Wing / Gold Squadron Pilot (x2)

Theorist: "Pick Your Poison"

B-Wing / Ibtisam

• Heavy Laser Cannon
  • Advanced Sensors
  • Push The Limit
  • Engine Upgrade

YT-1300 / Chewbacca

• Millenium Falcon
  • Engine Upgrade
  • Nien Nunb
  • Expert Handling
  • Gunner

I can't wait to see the other games in this tournament!

Edited formatting.

Edited by bcpravel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m05zaa9esn48imj/GC%20theorist%20vs%20atomicboxer.vlog

Need to have VASSAL to run. This is a match from the Galactic World Cup featuring two of the top xwing players in the World

Theorist (Top 8 or better in Vassal 2 and 3) and Atomicboxer (Gencon US Champion)

Holy cow! That's one hell of a way to start off the Galactic Cup.

Disregard, I think I figured it out.

Edited by AlexW

Question, during setup, atomicboxer used the hard two to measure to the B-Wing for what will essentially be his first move.  Is that legal?  I would have thought it wasn't.

Edited by AlexW

Question, during setup, atomicboxer used the hard two to measure to the B-Wing for what will essentially be his first move.  Is that legal?  I would have thought it wasn't.

It is legal to use anything but pretty measured templates.

Definitely one of the best games of X-Wing I've seen since the Worlds finals. Very entertaining. I think it's worth downloading Vassal just to watch it. Either player could have won this game. I'm still pretty new to X-Wing, but the trap AtomicBoxer set up for Chewbacca was very impressive to me. Theorist put on a clinic on how to use Ibtisam and Engine Upgrade. 

@Kelvan linked to the squads in the original post, but for the lazy I've written them out here:

AtomicBoxer: BXXYY

B-Wing / Blue Squadron Pilot

X-Wing / Rookie Pilot (x2)

Y-Wing / Gold Squadron Pilot (x2)

Theorist: "Pick Your Poison"

B-Wing / Ibtisam

• Heavy Laser Cannon
  • Advanced Sensors
  • Push The Limit
  • Engine Upgrade
YT-1300 / Chewbacca

• Millenium Falcon
  • Engine Upgrade
  • Nien Nunb
  • Expert Handling
  • Gunner
I can't wait to see the other games in this tournament!

Edited formatting.

When he tackled chewing 2 rounds in a row I thought it was over.

The new tournament rules say you can use any of the official measuring tools when setting but the forbid any "outside" template from being used.

Those are two nasty rebel ships.  I love seeing the potential behind the hyper-mobile B-Wing.

Cue netdeck spam in your local meta.

"I used a pro list, how did I lose?!?"

2 ships is really Impressive. I was shocked by how good engine was.

No argument here. It will be interesting to see people try to mime the performance (because a pro did it!), and whether the victory can be reproduced on a local scale.

Not to steal Theorist thunder.   I didn't even replay the match but I can guess what all happened.  Just by looking at both teams pilot skill and all the movement add on that Theorist had.   He got to move his pilots last and with all these abilities it gives you a ton of options to get an optimal position over your opponent.    Similar things have been done with high PS interceptors builds.   Theorist build is better then Interceptor version because both ships should survive at least one round of shots.   I think its a very creative and interesting build.  As much as I play this game, I'm always impressed with new builds people come out with.   However I don't think Theorist will fair to well when he runs that build against a higher pilot skill.    And Kudos to both on always playing new builds.

Edited by De Bad Wolf

I "watched" the replay, and it was a great game. I think Jake had a really good strategy to block chewie in the beginning. However, the HLC was rolling 3 hits like crazy, and Theorist flew like a man posessed. Great game and thanks for posting!

Loaded everything up to watch this match... and I get 2 errors... I have checked and everything is where it should be, but it says it (the saved file) used Crazy_Toms_Playmats_-5.0.0(1), and the same (1) is after the Yagyu's maps file... what have I done wrong?

Loaded everything up to watch this match... and I get 2 errors... I have checked and everything is where it should be, but it says it (the saved file) used Crazy_Toms_Playmats_-5.0.0(1), and the same (1) is after the Yagyu's maps file... what have I done wrong?

This means that the person who recorded the log probably downloaded those map packs twice (due to download error?), and Windows likes to add (1) at the end of duplicates. He will still have used a .jpg map file (inside the map module) when creating the game room. Meanwhile, if you yourself have the same map pack, you have access to the same background .jpg map file. All is ok. Vassal will whine that the map module files aren't the exact same name, but since you both have access to the .jpg, you'll be able to see everything (including the background) fine.

Edited by Mu0n

Not to steal Theorist thunder.   I didn't even replay the match but I can guess what all happened.  Just by looking at both teams pilot skill and all the movement add on that Theorist had.   He got to move his pilots last and with all these abilities it gives you a ton of options to get an optimal position over your opponent.    Similar things have been done with high PS interceptors builds.   Theorist build is better then Interceptor version because both ships should survive at least one round of shots.   I think its a very creative and interesting build.  As much as I play this game, I'm always impressed with new builds people come out with.   However I don't think Theorist will fair to well when he runs that build against a higher pilot skill.    And Kudos to both on always playing new builds.

Theorist is also probably the most well known interceptor pilot out there.

Even though your analysis is correct to some extent regarding the ending, it really isn't that simple.  Theorist is probably one of the few pilots who can win that game the way he did against another very skilled opponent.    Chewie's PS and maneuverability mattered very little though as he was stuck for much of the time he was on the board, but it would be interesting to see how he faired against a higher PS build, though I think that list has other advantages.

Also, in this tournament, people are allowed to select one of two lists, so he'll have an option.

Either way, I think that it's not a list many people will fly well without a ton of practice.

Edited by AlexW