Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MajorJuggler

2014 Regionals results

903 posts in this topic

• Attendance: 6 (the smallest Regional in the world?)

Wow, that's disappointing. I would have thought that more people would have made the trip there.

How many were from interstate/Melbourne and how many locals?

The TO was apparently expecting about 15. 2 travelled from Melb and 1 from Sydney as far as I know. Edited by McBain

The TO was apparently expecting about 15. 2 travelled from Melb and 1 from Sydney as far as I know.

So only THREE Tassie locals showed up to play?  I knew about a couple of Melbourne boys who were planning to head down there.  It's good to see that they did, otherwise it would have been pure misery.

Amazing...  That really sucks for the local scene.  How many players does Area 52 normally pull for casual games?

Oh ohhhh, I'm starting to see more Echo :P

Still, at medium/borderline smaller size events, so they may have gotten away with one. Echo is obivously better than whisper if you never need that 9PS (well sometimes the extra defense focus is nice of course, but often echo might've jsut had you in a better spot anyway). If there are not too many Han builds at an event, echo will do alot better. These are the kind of situations where it is nice to see a large chunk of the field, so you can read between the lines a bit. Whisper is still the safe bet if you want to play a phantom in a meta that is shaped by the phantom. Echo would be even better if the meta ever somehow shifted back to the wave 3 type meta of medium PS, less turrets etc and you brought it as a blast from the past.

I do have alot more fun with echo than whisper though.

Edited by bobbywhiskey

At the airport headed back from DFW Regional at Madness Games and Comics. 72 players in attendance. Super well run event. 7 seeding rounds. At 5-2, I finished 10th, so no top 8 cut for me. So **** close.

Top list was Whisper w/ Vet Instincts, ACD and ???, Howlrunner and 3 Academy Pilots.

2nd place was 2Ys and 2Bs, I know there were Ion turrets, and the stress droid and advanced sensors. Not sure if the last two points were in use.

I was flying Han w/ Recon Spec, Merc Co-Pilot, Determination & 4x Bandit Z95s.

Top guy's phantom was Whisper with ACD, sensor jammer, recon spec and VI. Great player and great guy, I ended up beating him in round 6 of Swiss by one hull point remaining. Crazy day at the DFW regionals Edited by ArmaggedonPSA

Plano, TX held their regional yesterday. There were nearly 70 people. I am still gathering the data and will post it hopefully soon.

Specifically, I don't have the finishing order, but I do have the top 8 builds (it was a cut to top 8). I'm waiting for the TO to get back with me and I'll post it.

Interesting point, only 2 of the top builds did not include a Phantom or a Falcon and every build included something from wave 4. Out of the whole field for the day, I believe there was only 1 TIE swarm player. Given how much effort FFG has put into neutering the swarm, it would seem they just managed to replace it with the Falcon Super Tank.

The second place list did not include anything from Wave 4.

Blue//Advanced Sensors x2

Gold//Ion Cannon Turret/R3-A2

Gold //Ion Cannon Turret/Flechette Torpedoes

Interestingly, while Falcon builds seemed to saturate all levels of the tournament, Phantom lists tended to be at the lower tables.

Check again, Flechette Torpedoes came in after wave 3.

At the airport headed back from DFW Regional at Madness Games and Comics. 72 players in attendance. Super well run event. 7 seeding rounds. At 5-2, I finished 10th, so no top 8 cut for me. So **** close.

Top list was Whisper w/ Vet Instincts, ACD and ???, Howlrunner and 3 Academy Pilots.

2nd place was 2Ys and 2Bs, I know there were Ion turrets, and the stress droid and advanced sensors. Not sure if the last two points were in use.

I was flying Han w/ Recon Spec, Merc Co-Pilot, Determination & 4x Bandit Z95s.

Top guy's phantom was Whisper with ACD, sensor jammer, recon spec and VI. Great player and great guy, I ended up beating him in round 6 of Swiss by one hull point remaining. Crazy day at the DFW regionals
I believe that was Daniel's build who I played in the Top 8. I had Advanced Sensors which put me at 97 points vs 98 and allowed me to take initiative. We ended up with one Academy each and ended up "drawing" with a mutual simultaneous kill. The initiative win allowed me to advance into the Top 4. This is what I could remember from the Top 4. I know Matt is trying to compile the data right now.

Winner: Whisper+ACD+Adv Sensors+Rec Spec+VI, Howlrunner, 3 x Academies

2nd: 2 x Blues+Adv Sensors, Gold+Ion+Flechette, Gold+Ion+R3A2

Top 4: Han+Predator+EU+MF+Luke+C3PO, 3 x Bandits

Top 4: Han+Marksmanship+Gunner+C3PO, Chewy+DTF

Awesome turnout and Matt did an awesome job with the event.

Fly Casual!

Edited by ltcwinger
Sideslip, MajorJuggler and Hexis like this

Plano, TX held their regional yesterday. There were nearly 70 people. I am still gathering the data and will post it hopefully soon.

Specifically, I don't have the finishing order, but I do have the top 8 builds (it was a cut to top 8). I'm waiting for the TO to get back with me and I'll post it.

Interesting point, only 2 of the top builds did not include a Phantom or a Falcon and every build included something from wave 4. Out of the whole field for the day, I believe there was only 1 TIE swarm player. Given how much effort FFG has put into neutering the swarm, it would seem they just managed to replace it with the Falcon Super Tank.

Interestingly, while Falcon builds seemed to saturate all levels of the tournament, Phantom lists tended to be at the lower tables.

Yep, in the rebel transport, so they were around for about 2 months before wave 4 (somewhat spillting hairs at this point, but that's the same pack r3-a2 is from anyway).

Very surprised this list did as well as it did. Maybe some phantoms just wandered too close to the y-wings. Maybe played alot of falcons and controlled them with 2 ion shots and then pounded with bwings? strange

Yep, in the rebel transport, so they were around for about 2 months before wave 4 (somewhat spillting hairs at this point, but that's the same pack r3-a2 is from anyway).

Very surprised this list did as well as it did. Maybe some phantoms just wandered too close to the y-wings. Maybe played alot of falcons and controlled them with 2 ion shots and then pounded with bwings? strange

It was more how he played the build. He ended up parking the Ys and Bs facing each other and not move and forced you to come up and try to break your formation. Team Covenant has his Top 4 and Final games recorded.

I have been emailing the TO from Uncles Games, I should have the exact elimination brackets soon.

First round of top 8 was

the top 4 echo swarm vs. the 3 Lambda shuttles/2 black squadron

the 2nd place player vs. the Bounty Hunter/Turr/Echo list

the winner vs. the Luke/Airen/Tarn/Rookie

the top 4 Falcon vs, 5 ship rebels

Second round of top 8 was

the 2nd place player vs. the top 4 Echo Swarm

the winner vs the top 4 falcon

If it is of further help, the breakdown after the swiss was:

#1 seed - Top 4 Echo Swarm - 5-0

#2 seed - Bounty Hunter/Turr/Echo - 5-0

#3 seed - Winning Echo Swarm - 4-1

unsure of who was 4 and 5

#6 seed - Luke/Airen/Tarn/Rookie 4-1

#7 seed - 6 ship rebel swarm 4-1

#8 seed - 3 Lambda/2 Black Squadron 4-1 (1 modified win)

All the 4-1+ players made it in to the top 8, no 3-2 players did.

I am proud to say I accomplished my goal of reaching top 8 today with a TIE Advanced! :)  My squad was Darth Vader w/VI and Homing Missiles, Howlrunner w/VI, Mauler w/VI, Backstabber, and an Academy Pilot.

Falcons as far as the eye could see in the top eight.

Glad to see that it worked out! I kept your secret. :-)

Did you face many Phantom Squads?

Top guy's phantom was Whisper with ACD, sensor jammer, recon spec and VI. Great player and great guy, I ended up beating him in round 6 of Swiss by one hull point remaining. Crazy day at the DFW regionals

I believe that was Daniel's build who I played in the Top 8. I had Advanced Sensors which put me at 97 points vs 98 and allowed me to take initiative. We ended up with one Academy each and ended up "drawing" with a mutual simultaneous kill. The initiative win allowed me to advance into the Top 4. This is what I could remember from the Top 4. I know Matt is trying to compile the data right now.

Winner: Whisper+ACD+Adv Sensors+Rec Spec+VI, Howlrunner, 3 x Academies

2nd: 2 x Blues+Adv Sensors, Gold+Ion+Flechette, Gold+Ion+R3A2

Top 4: Han+Predator+EU+MF+Luke, 3 x Bandits

Top 4: Han+Marksmanship+Gunner+C3PO, Chewy+DTF

Awesome turnout and Matt did an awesome job with the event.

Fly Casual!

I was your quarterfinals opponent. Daniel faced you in the finals. That was an excellent game. ltcwinger stressed his Whisper to kill mine, which allowed my TIEs to finish his. We traded kills until our last Academy Pilots finished each other off.

As I mentioned before, there were  very few Phantoms at the top tables, but Falcons were everywhere. Daniel beat me in one of the late Swiss rounds and then lost to ltcwinger in the final, but I think he reports playing against 11 Falcons among the rest of his games (7 Swiss and 3 after the cut). My Whisper build encountered 5 Falcons in 4 rounds including all named pilots, several gunners, and several 3P0s. I only lost to ltcwinger and Daniel, and none of the Falcon lists shot Whisper down. I don't know what ltcwinger's preliminary rounds looked like, but just having a falcon with a gunner is far from an auto-win against a high-PS ACD phantom, and the abundance of high-PS ACD phantoms that did not finish well likewise indicates that this ship is not an auto-win against much else either.

I've gotten a little wordy, but I just wanted to point out that this is still a game about maneuvering and tactical thinking, you can compete without using the latest-and-greatest, and no list is good enough to win the game for you.

It was more how he played the build. He ended up parking the Ys and Bs facing each other and not move and forced you to come up and try to break your formation. Team Covenant has his Top 4 and Final games recorded.

He doesn't do that often, but sometimes it's best to do something unconventional (like take PS2 Y-wings to a post-wave 4 tournament and prove that the old ships aren't obsolete).

rym, ltcwinger and Forensicus like this

The event at Uncle's Games in Spokane was pretty well run, and everyone there was really nice.  The only flaw I ran into was a really short lunch break (and the fact that there were at least 16 people who flew better and had better dice than me).  One thing that impressed me was the variety of lists. 35 people and almost every list was different.  I expected to see way more Phantoms and Falcons.

Madness Comics and Games hosted the DFW Regional and did a great job.  It's just too bad the commute is so long for me.  Google maps says 925 miles by car, 14.25 hours.

Hida77 likes this

Okay, I have confirmation of the official Dallas (Plano) TX Regionals results:

Attendance: 72

Rounds: 7 swiss rounds, cut to top 8

Wave 4 Legal

1. Whisper + VI + Adv Sensors + Recon Spec + ACD, Howlrunner, Academy Pilot x3
  2. Blue Sq. + Adv Sensor x2, Gold Sq + Ion Canon + Flechette Torps, Gold Sq. + Ion Canon + R3-A2
  3. Han Solo + Gunner + C3PO + Marksmanship, Chewbacca + DtF
  4. Han Solo + Predator + Luke Skywalker + Title + C3PO + EU, Bandit Sq. x3
  5. Soontir Fel + PtL + Hull, Brath + Predator + Ion Canon, OGP + Vader
  6. Whisper + VI + Recon Spec + Sensor Jammer + ACD, Howlrunner, Academy Pilot x3
  7. Whisper + VI + ACD, Echo + VI + ACD + Recon Spec, OMG + Vader
  8. Han Solo + Luke Skywalker + ST + Title, Biggs + R1, Prototype Pilot A-Wing

I don't know if the TO kept the standings of the 5-8 rankings, but there you go. That's 3 Phantom builds, 3 Falcon builds (2 Super Tanks), a mixed Defender build, and a mostly wave 3 build. I think the games went late. Registration started at 9:00am and I left at 9:30PM while the top 8 games were being played, so it likely went until midnight (that's 14 hours of X-Wing).

I don't think that was the largest regional, but it has to rank pretty high I'm sure.

I hope everyone had fun. I hate all of you who beat me. I will secretly swap my dice with yours the next time we meet.  :)

The event at Uncle's Games in Spokane was pretty well run, and everyone there was really nice.  The only flaw I ran into was a really short lunch break (and the fact that there were at least 16 people who flew better and had better dice than me).  One thing that impressed me was the variety of lists. 35 people and almost every list was different.  I expected to see way more Phantoms and Falcons.

Agreed. Kyle, the TO, ran an outstanding event and everyone was awesome. I did feel like I ran into every single Phantom in the tournament though =p.

executor likes this

I am proud to say I accomplished my goal of reaching top 8 today with a TIE Advanced! :)  My squad was Darth Vader w/VI and Homing Missiles, Howlrunner w/VI, Mauler w/VI, Backstabber, and an Academy Pilot.

Unless I am mistaken, there were zero Phantom squads and an abundance of YT + Z's squads. I think I would have fared better if Whisper and Echo had made an appearance as my squad was designed pretty specifically with killing them in mind. Oh well - very happy regardless and got to play and meet some awesome X-Wingers (and reconnect with a few I haven't seen since World's). And Total Eclipse Games was a good venue with superb staff.

Torresse and KineticOperator like this

Unless I am mistaken, there were zero Phantom squads and an abundance of YT + Z's squads. I think I would have fared better if Whisper and Echo had made an appearance as my squad was designed pretty specifically with killing them in mind. Oh well - very happy regardless and got to play and meet some awesome X-Wingers (and reconnect with a few I haven't seen since World's). And Total Eclipse Games was a good venue with superb staff.

Thats actually very close to a list Ive been kicking around for Nationals, good to see it can make top 8

Jon brought a phantom list, but it didn't seem to do very well; he was on the last table all day. Loved your Tie list btw. Great to see Vader in a tourney!

RoosterOnAWire likes this

Jon brought a phantom list, but it didn't seem to do very well; he was on the last table all day. Loved your Tie list btw. Great to see Vader in a tourney!

Yeah, it was a little lopsided: one Phantom list and twenty-five people with lists designed to kill Phantoms.

And ditto the note on the venue.  Nice space, lots of tables, a TO who was always on the ball, and friendly staff. Now if only I'd brought home a winning record (and a new set of dice) to go with the rest of the experience...  :rolleyes:

I had a similar experience with a list that I'd beat phantoms with several times, but never ran into one, instead playing against two falcon lists, then a double firespray list. Just didn't bring enough firepower for large ships. Had fun for the remaining 4 rounds, though.