Sign in to follow this  
Slugrage

Episode VII Cast List

As has been pointed out on a few other feeds I've been reading, it's a bit... weird... that there's only one female character (again!) out of the seven new roles announced. Does the success of Star Trek, Battlestar, Firefly, etc., mean nothing? Or are JJA and Kasdan really unable to write strong female characters (or at least ones that aren't swooning over the protagonist?)

Kasdan definitely can--he wrote and directed "Silverado", among other things, which features a number of women with agency (one in particular who sort of functions in an Obi-Wan role). Not really sure about Abrams, although I will say that...

MINOR STAR TREK SPOILERS

...the relationship between Uhura and Spock strikes me as one of the more unnecessary and incongruous bits of Abrams' new ST universe, which isn't exactly lacking in unnecessary and incongruous bits to choose from.

I really hope they keep the old cast more in an introductory/advisory role and give the new guys a chance to drive the story.

unfortunately, there is currently a tendency to revive chars and actors from the last century. ;)

ok, given the prequels and the star trek revival we also have to hope they are out of kindergarten and beyond high school... <sigh>

Looking at the actors/actress I'm not sure about the choices.... except for Daisy Ridley, I saw her in 3 different movies and like her a lot...

And of course Max von Sydow. Adam Driver not like him, saw him in L % O once and a couple of movies.

Never heard of John Boyega and Domhnall Gleeson before.

Edited by Digitalkiller

MINOR STAR TREK SPOILERS

...the relationship between Uhura and Spock strikes me as one of the more unnecessary and incongruous bits of Abrams' new ST universe, which isn't exactly lacking in unnecessary and incongruous bits to choose from.

Random factoid.

That's actually a nod to the Original Series where Kirk kissed Uhura. It was the first inter-racial kiss on TV. The script originally called for it to be Spock and Uhura, but William Shatner insisted on Kirk kissing her instead.

I was thinking the next wave from x-wing would be the new movie's fighters, but 30 years have elapsed! They might have to make a different version of the game!

Also, I'm soooooo relieved they are not sticking to EU. I mean, of course JJ wouldn't. He already reset Star Trek. He's not going to worry about semi-official fiction. Sure, there were some good stories, but overall, it was a bummer how incompetent the New Republic was. Constant political infighting, no preparation for threats, etc. The heroes of the original trilogy deserved a happier ending.

MINOR STAR TREK SPOILERS

Random factoid.

That's actually a nod to the Original Series where Kirk kissed Uhura. It was the first inter-racial kiss on TV. The script originally called for it to be Spock and Uhura, but William Shatner insisted on Kirk kissing her instead.

Other random factoid: on the first aired Star Trek Episode (The Man Trap) Uhura tries—and fails miserably—to flirt with Spock.

I was thinking the next wave from x-wing would be the new movie's fighters, but 30 years have elapsed! They might have to make a different version of the game!

Also, I'm soooooo relieved they are not sticking to EU. I mean, of course JJ wouldn't. He already reset Star Trek. He's not going to worry about semi-official fiction. Sure, there were some good stories, but overall, it was a bummer how incompetent the New Republic was. Constant political infighting, no preparation for threats, etc. The heroes of the original trilogy deserved a happier ending.

The only thing I will say... ever hear of the U.N.?   The crap in Ukraine and Syria is a perfect example how a group of individual countries are more than willing to bicker and grandstand while nothing gets done and people die.   I would actually say the Republic is probably GL's version of the U.N.

Edited by dandirk

John Boyega is awesome in Attack the Block and Gleeson is Bill Weasley in Harry Potter 7&8.

I doubt you've seen Daisy in 3 movies since she's only done two and they were indie short films in the UK. Her filmography beyond that is almost all minor TV episode appearances. No offense intended, just clearing it up, might be thinking of someone else.

Watch Attack the Block, its awesome. 90% on Rotten Tomatoes if that helps. I want to photoshop lightsabers into it now, though.

Edited by Lunatic Pathos

It would be neat to see a cameo by David Prowse.

Met him at last years comic con in Ottawa. Got an autographed Darth Vader card from it. Billy Dee was there too so I got the falcon signed as well.

Just disregard the other 2 cards there.... :P

pic2006202_md.jpg

Edited by Sergovan

Remember technology in the Star Wars universe advances at the speed of a crippled snail. The ships from the new films will probably be using pretty much the same technology as their predecessors.

Edited by zathras23

Not too excited about the original cast returning. Not really interested in seeing an old grumpy Harrison Ford flying around in the Falcon... or an old Carrie Fisher doing... whatever it is they'll have her doing. I really hope they prove me wrong though. If they have minor roles and the film focuses on new characters than I'll be happy. I'll just have to wait and see. 

As far as the latest interviews with Mrs Fisher I have seen lately indicate she's old and grumpy too, so she can fly casual together with Mr Ford.