Sign in to follow this  
The_Brown_Bomber

Rise of the bombers

It seems like more and more bombers are making it into squads, at least in my area. Is this a trend u r seeing i ur area?

Here are a few bomber squads im tinkering with. Feel free to post ur own squads and critique mine.

Scarlet Witch (100pts)

Kath Scarlet + Expert Handling + Shield Upgrade + Gunner + Proton Bombs

Gamma Squadron Pilot + Proton Bombs

Night Witch (99pts)

Howlrunner 

Academy Pilot

Night Watch (100pts)

Bounty Hunter + Gunner + Seismic Charges

Gamma Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charges

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber

Eye of the Swarm (99pts)

Kath Scarlet + Gunner + Expert Handling+ Assault Missiles + Proton Bombs (55)

Gamma Squadron Pilot + Proton Bombs + Assault Missiles (28)

Backstabber (16)

This squad is really designed to have early game punch against squads like swarms that rely on formation flying.

Missiles backed up with proton bombs should weaken multiple ships and backstabber and kath r ur finishers.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber

I ran 4x scimitar squadron each with engine upgrade and proton bombs.   Strange build, and I basically missed my main payload... but I think a squad like that could be really fun to use alot and try to get better with.   

Just curious, why not:

Howlrunner + EPT 2pts or under of your choice

Scimitar Squadron Pilot x 5

High survivability in terms of HP, but Howlrunner may not make it past the first pass... But if she does, oh boy.

I faced a squad similar to your Night Watch build on vassal the other day.  Only difference was the gammas were scimitars, and the firespray was Krassis with HLC.  The three seismics did a combined 6 damage on me which really hurt, but that was the worst attack he gave me all game as I defeated him pretty soundly.

Just curious, why not:

High survivability in terms of HP, but Howlrunner may not make it past the first pass... But if she does, oh boy.

This list just won a local tourny, i played it and it really packs a punch. (He used Elusiveness on Howlrunner)

I only have two bombers currently, but I run them almost every time I fly Imp.  Cluster missiles are just sooo good against B-Wings, and my local competition loves them some B-Wings. 

I plan on trying this one this weekend once I get my 2 Transports.

Jonus + Determination + Flechette Torpedo (25 points)

3 x Gamma + Flechette Torpedo + Proton Bomb (25 points each)

100 total

Decent PS and the ability to re-roll 2 of the dice after using a TL to fire. Once hit they will be stressed so they will be very limited to what maneuvers they can do to get rid of it. Then drop the proton bombs in your wake and watch then fly right into them.

Looks good on paper....probably will play like crap lol.

Whenever my buddy and I play a "bomber" list it has come to mean any list that includes:

Rhymer + PTL + APT x 2

Everything else has gotten scrapped with regard to bombers currently. Maybe once munitions failsafe comes out.

Just curious, why not:

I used this exact list (w/ Swarm Tactics) to win my last tournament.  You're exactly right- if Howlrunner can survive a little while, this list will do very well (especially against most rebels).

Just curious, why not:

This is what I fly when I need survivability against 4 B-Wings or the Falcon. Initially I was trying to protect Howlrunner but the defense is pretty good with an added evade. I prefer my opponents go after Howlrunner first and leave the bombers alone especially if I can trade Howlrunner for one of their ships. Then it's 5 bombers vs 2-3 rebels and one or two of those could be down a few shields/hull.

If you get to the point where you need to split up the bombers then Howlrunner becomes just another Tie. For the EPT I think Elusiveness is a pretty good way to go.

Just curious, why not:

This is what I fly when I need survivability against 4 B-Wings or the Falcon. Initially I was trying to protect Howlrunner but the defense is pretty good with an added evade. I prefer my opponents go after Howlrunner first and leave the bombers alone especially if I can trade Howlrunner for one of their ships. Then it's 5 bombers vs 2-3 rebels and one or two of those could be down a few shields/hull.

If you get to the point where you need to split up the bombers then Howlrunner becomes just another Tie. For the EPT I think Elusiveness is a pretty good way to go.

Generally, when I fly the list I've used Swarm Tactics to help advance the offense on the first run, but no protection for Howlrunner equals a dead Howlrunner. I'll have to give Elusiveness a try. Edited by sirhc

Just curious, why not:

This is what I fly when I need survivability against 4 B-Wings or the Falcon. Initially I was trying to protect Howlrunner but the defense is pretty good with an added evade. I prefer my opponents go after Howlrunner first and leave the bombers alone especially if I can trade Howlrunner for one of their ships. Then it's 5 bombers vs 2-3 rebels and one or two of those could be down a few shields/hull.

Generally, when I fly the list I've used Swarm Tactics to help advance the offense on the first run, but no protection for Howlrunner equals a dead Howlrunner. I'll have to give Elusiveness a try.

That is exactly what I did at first, and still do depending on the list I am flying against (assuming I have advanced knowledge). What I've discovered is that the rebels hate Howlrunner and will go after that ship first, the most nimble of the group at 3 agility, and leave the 2 agility bombers alone. Howlrunner's pilot ability is great for this list but when shot down there are still five bombers left who will scatter and have most of their 6 hull remaining. I have yet to see a bomber one-shotted :D

Im gonna give this squad a run today:

Gamma Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charges (20)

i also like the look of this version:

Bounty Hunter + Gunner + Seismic Charges (40)

both squads have high durability and the option to drop multiple charges

Gamma Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charges (20).....

This was my very first squad list until I figured I could add Howlrunner based on ideas from the forum. My buddy added Elusiveness to Howlrunner and won a store championship last Saturday. The Seismics hit a lot more ships that I expected but the overall impact was quite a bit less than I expected. In the end, another ship really makes the difference.

I've been thinking about running this one as well. It seems super strong passing on initiative to squads like bloody daggers or other PS4 lists. The prospect of 5 points of uncancelled damage is bonkers.

I've been thinking about running this one as well. It seems super strong passing on initiative to squads like bloody daggers or other PS4 lists. The prospect of 5 points of uncancelled damage is bonkers.

It's only 5 points of uncancelled damage if you only hit one ship per bomb.

Remember: they hit EVERY ship at Range 1 when they detonate. 

Potentially, it's 65 points of guaranteed damage (assuming every bomb hits every ship upon detonation, including your own, against an 8 tie swarm. Without hitting your own, we're looking at 40 points of damage as the maximum).

And THAT'S bonkers!