Sign in to follow this  
KommanderKeldoth

Has anyone else ever done this?

So my room mate (who is also obsessed with X-wing) just bought an X-wing expansion.  He opened it up right as we were setting up our nightly game.  He used a big knife to open the packaging and...

...Cut straight across through the cardboard, slicing his dial, ship bases and a few tokens straight in half.

It happened so fast I couldn't warn him.  It was painful to see the look on his face when he realized what he had done.

How much force did he use? Was his knife a lightsaber, to cut through layers of plastic and cardboard? He had never opened a clamshell packaging before?

Mind you, those packagings are a ***** to open and cause thousands of injuries each year, about 60.000 world wide, thanks to wrap rage. So at least he's okay which is the main thing. Contact FFG, who knows, they might replace. It's not the model that's damaged after all.

Edited by Dagonet

Always use scissors to open clamshells and blister packs. You might even try using can openers. Cutting into cardboard is bad enough, slipping and cutting into wrists and fingers is serious business.

Hopefully you've considered taking a photo and request help from FFG support, they are most helpful/kend in my experience. Bad decision and bad luck, but I hope he will recover. Otherwize he will have to play with just half the rang/options for maneuvers LOL

I work in registration at an ER so I'll be the one to say it...

Keep sharp objects away from your friend.

Seriously.

Dude obviously does not know how to safely use blades and clearly never was in shop class.

He sounds like the guys that come in to the ER with self inflicted wounds from misused tools.

Does he run with sisscors too?  ;)

Edited by catachan23

Forgive my crude attempt at the illustration here, but I wanted to provide your friend with some insight into how I've successfully retained all of my fingers after having opened more clam-shell packages than I care to count.

games_xwing_tie_bomber.jpg

For steps 2 and 3, I don't cut down the length of the edge all the way. This saves on cleanup, and you end up with a package that opens up easily and one you can put all the unnecessary package bits back into.

For gods' sake, have your buddy use scissors.

Cold steel makes a sword called a grosse mesir.

It can cut a phone book in half. Maybe he should try that next on his next purchase. Lol.

Haha, Cold Steel.

When I think of Cold Steel, I think of that fat red-headed guy swinging those swords into side of beef and get a chuckle.

iam amazed that he didnt cut trough the pakage right into his legs or fingers and such. that guy is by far the stupiest person alive and i thought that my little bro earned that title long ago and hes is really dumb !!!

serves him right just sayin >.>

Edited by SoulCrusherEx

iam amazed that he didnt cut trough the pakage right into his legs or fingers and such that guy is by far the stupiest person alive and i thought that my little bro earned that title long ago and hes is really dumb !!!

serves him right just sayin >.>

In my time working in the ER, i've seen that title changes hands regularly.

Edited by catachan23

I can't say that I have ever done that, but I have opened packages in a way that damages the contents. I can still tast the bitter disappointment that comes with that - it is a lesson that anyone only has to learn once.

He has a two options:

-Glue everything together and have a funny-ish story to tell every time he plays.

-Call customer service and beg that if he sends them the destroyed material and something to cover return postage they will send substitutes.

I always use a manual can opener.  When wave 3 was out last year, I got in with a combo of about 20 assorted X-Wing and Attack Wing packs.  Open them all in about 15 minutes which also consisted taking the time to remove the contents and sort the models and counters into separate piles (and looking at/drooling over some of the models) .  Only damage was a 1 inch crease to two of the plastic bags.