Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sephirex

EU being cut from the lore and rebranded as "Star Wars Legends"

31 posts in this topic

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

So it looks like they're clearly marking anything non-cinematic and pre-disney as part of this apocrypha brand.   There's good chances they'll draw and rework popular characters into the new canon, but for right now, everything's gone.

So where does this leave the LCG?   Are we going to have to rename it to Star Wars Legends the Card Game?

I think you're defining things a bit narrowly.  There's plenty of EU that isn't post RotJ.  The way I read the article is that's the only things that are definitely going to the "Legends" banner.  Pre-RotJ that still fits with Episodes 1-6 and Clone Wars, and soon Rebels might still escape the Legends banner.

Rebels was done under the supervision of Disney, so it's going to be canon.

Also, I don't see where your getting the info that only post-ROTJ will be legends.  It looks like all EU is getting the treatment.

Edited by Sephirex

Rename this game: Star Wars Legends: The Card Game. I officially don't care about anything that comes out from Disney now. Sad day......

I'm not at all versed in post-ROTJ stuff (I like the supplementary novels/stories that take place during the original trilogy), but I have to say that I kind of get where they're coming from.  EU is incredibly fertile and has a lot of great stuff...but it's just so, so much, and since they're doing a sequel trilogy, it makes sense to cut it out.

Shame, though, I agree.  The Ssi-ruu were pretty sweet.

I'm happy with the decision but I'm also thinking that FFG have options now and could go two ways. Or both.

They could stop using any or all EU from now and concentrate just on cannon.

They could just stick to legends, with the shackles off those dream cards become more viable and it could cash in on the generation the player base is it.

They could try and support both.

I think they have it within there power to be pleasing to all crowds. This could be really good news for the games.

Joker Two likes this

I do not care too much. The card game is not about replaying the movie. It is more of a "what if". Having characters in a "what if" that are not cannon ... so what?

It says right in the article Rebels and it's prequel novel are canon.

But these are both upcoming projects. So far the only thing that has been confirmed to remain as canon is Clone Wars CG.

So I guess, Ryloth has a day/night cycle from now on. Other than that, I think this change is good for the franchise and our game, especially since this doesn't necessarily mean that Thrawn, et al never happened: what can be salvaged from those books in the advent of the sequel trilogy most likely will be, as writers are still free to pull from that material. All that's different now is that they have a Story Team present to minimize canonical discrepancies, and I like that. I hated not knowing what to believe about Ryloth for the time since its appearance in CW. It's nice to have closure.

EDIT: A better example than Ryloth I just thought of, is the half-a-hundred people including Kyle Katarn who stole the Death Star plans. Leeland Chee won't have to bend the canon over backwards to make sense out of that sort of thing anymore. There'll be one "true" story of how the Rebels stole the plans, and that's it. Way less confusing.

Edited by MarthWMaster
GroggyGolem likes this

It says right in the article Rebels and it's prequel novel are canon.

But these are both upcoming projects. So far the only thing that has been confirmed to remain as canon is Clone Wars CG.

Those are the only things confirmed so far I still think some key characters like Dash and Mara may be kept around, just what happens to them post RotJ might change.

Toqtamish likes this

^^^^

Pretty much that.  Learning about Chewie's death through spoilers really turned me off from the post-RotJ stuff anyway.  And I'm going to be super mean and say that I didn't really care for the idea of Han and Leia's childred being super strong Jedi/Sith whatever.  Not that I don't trust Yoda when he says the Force is strong in Luke's family, but I've never really liked works (written or otherwise) that have super awesome heroes with super awesome kids/descendants.  I mean, what's wrong with a hero having a well-deserved retirement?  Lord knows that's what I'd want.

I would be interested in an official response to what the EU rebranding means for the game. 

I believe one of TheForce.net's podcasters ran into a FFG exec / editor after the announcement who assured him their licensing deal is intact and all products would continue to go forwards and their relationship with Lucasarts is as strong as ever.

The podcaster editorialized that all FFG games should be considered new material produced under the Legends banner even if they don't ever actually bear that brand (especially the RPG modules which extend the story; compared to the cardgame / X-Wing which just draw from Legends).

A statement is premature until Disney / Lucasarts tells them what they want done.  Until then, it should be business as usual and the main impact, if any, is if they get that banner.  In a way, it would be a good thing to get it because then they could draw from Legends unfettered and without worry about stepping on the toes of the Story Group's canon.

As far as I can tell everythying they have taken from the EU are all characters who have been active before the post RotJ. Mara Jade is the Emperor's Hand, rather than Talon Kaarde's sidekick/Luke's Wife, Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar are both characters who were both concurrent with the films, rather than just after. Nothing they have produced is as of yet incompatible with whatever Disney do with the post-RotJ canon.

Of course my personal canon now extends to the original films and the Heir to the Empire trilogy, so I couldn't give a toss, except as interesting ideas.

It's my understanding that Kyle's stint as a Jedi begins several years after RotJ.  I don't get why they're stretching a few years forward for the game when they seen usually very committed to the original trilogy for a timeline, at least at this point.

It's my understanding that Kyle's stint as a Jedi begins several years after RotJ.  I don't get why they're stretching a few years forward for the game when they seen usually very committed to the original trilogy for a timeline, at least at this point.

Well, if they stayed within the time-frame of IV-VI, there are only three* Jedi: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and Luke Skywalker.  The Jedi faction would be pretty hard to round out if they didn't stretch out to the New Jedi Order established by Luke Skywalker post-RotJ. From that perspective, I can see why Kyle gets to be a Jedi in this game.

*(At least, those are the only three that I'm aware of. I suppose we don't know what happened to Kota, but I heard that TFU was scrapped as cannon pretty soon after its release. And I have no idea what happened to any surviving Jedi from the Coruscant Nights series.)