Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Imagined Realms

Best Product to Remove Existing Paint Jobs?

10 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Am thinking of repainting some of my models - just wondering if anyone has any advice re what to use for removing the existing paint jobs (if possible).

I'm in Australia, so any brands available here would be the preference - though I'll take whatever advice I can get!

Thanks in advance.

Brake fluid. Leave soaking for a few hours.

Doesn't damage the plastic, though I'd suggest covering the transparent socket with blu-tac to prevent it clouding over.

I've done this to a firespray, shuttle, interceptors and bombers, it works fine.

Simple green has no effect.

The trick to a repaint is to make sure your paint isn't so thick that it looks like it was applied with a spatula. I've seen some of these great models butchered by a lousy paint job.

And I use brake fluid and an old toothbrush on acrylic paints. It makes the paint just fall off. Doesn't work on enamel paint tho'.

Just paint over the original, can even spray a thin primer over the factory paint if you want a new base coat to work from, works fine. Don't melt your ships.

oneway likes this

I have used brake fluid and it works well on X wings.  That said... A fine airbrush cover of white/gray/whatever is your best bet.  

Purple Power from walmart it's like 3 for a gallon it's not toxic and it does not damage pastic. I was able to strip a ton old paint and for the most part the glue even stayed on.

You let the models soak over night and use a tooth brush. Good to go

Too much mess stripping these.. just over paint, you will be fine.. many of us have done the same and we have great looking models. Check out the various paint threads. 

Simple Green removes the wash and some of the red or blue.  Hit the models afterwards with a light coat of Krylon (or similar) brand of primer and you can paint just fine.  

I'm working on a Falcon and Firespray at the moment.