Sign in to follow this  
Revanchist

A new rubric to go through before posting

After seeing a good chunk of the recent threads, I think this decision-helping program should be run before anyone decides to make a new topic:

Dim title As String

title = Console.Readline()

If title = "Will a Star Destroyer be put Ingame" Or "Imperials/Rebels are over/underpowered" Then

Console.Writeline("DO NOT POST THIS TOPIC")

Elseif title = "Wave 5 Speculation

Console.Writeline("Find the 10 million other threads that deal with this.")

Else

Console.Writeline("Cool, post this topic!")

End If

Console.ReadKey()

In python?

def write_post():
	current_wave = 4
	title = raw_input("Enter your title: ").lower()

if ("rebel" in title or "imperial" in title or "empire" in title) and ("overpower" in title or "underpower" in title):
		raise Exception("Title error. They are not. Do not post this.")
	elif "star destroyer" in title or "isd" in title:
		raise Exception("Title error. Please see other threads. Do not post this.")
	elif "wave %s" % (current_wave+1) in title:
		raise Exception("Title error. Find the 10 million other threads that deal with this.")

body = ""
	new_line = raw_input("""Enter your post content:
->""")
	while new_line:
		body += newline + "\n"
		new_line = raw_input("->")

return {"title": title, "body": body}

In python?

def write_post():
	current_wave = 4
	title = raw_input("Enter your title: ").lower()

if ("rebel" in title or "imperial" in title or "empire" in title) and ("overpower" in title or "underpower" in title):
		raise Exception("Title error. They are not. Do not post this.")
	elif "star destroyer" in title or "isd" in title:
		raise Exception("Title error. Please see other threads. Do not post this.")
	elif "wave %s" % (current_wave+1) in title:
		raise Exception("Title error. Find the 10 million other threads that deal with this.")

body = ""
	new_line = raw_input("""Enter your post content:
->""")
	while new_line:
		body += newline + "\n"
		new_line = raw_input("->")

return {"title": title, "body": body}

This will post the title in lower case.

Also, it looks like an OverusedTitleException class is warranted:

class OverusedTitleException(Exception):
    def __init__(self, msg):
        Exception.__init__(self, u'Title error: {}'.format(msg))

...Look, I'm just trying to avoid a monster code review at work.

Personally, I enjoy those discussions. They lead to interesting ideas and thought processes, and often dig pretty deep into people's understandings of the game. Sure, they become 10 page arguments. But without ten page arguments what are internet forums. They don't really devolve into flamefests or anything.

Python.  Ick.  Better, but not by much.

C++, now there's a language I can get behind.  Back in my day, we used parantheses for everything!

C++? A compiled language? Get with the times :P

You should write some CoffeeScript, which you can then compile (with a compiler itself written in CoffeeScript) into JavaScript, which will then be interpreted by the browser's JS engine. You can then have your program communicate with a server-side application also written in CoffeeScript, compiled to JavaScript and interpreted by Node.js.

If it's any consolation, Google's V8 JavaScript Engine, which Node.js uses, is written in C++!

:D

Edit: OOooh, for even more interpreted fun-stuff, you could compile your client-side CoffeeScript into JavaScript on request, using the CoffeeScript-PHP compiler (which is interpreted by the server's PHP processor)!

Edited by Klutz

Ironically the OP is from a country where freedom of speech is part of the constitution.

Freedom of speech only means freedom from government suppression of speech. So, the government can't tell someone to STFU, but literally everyone else can and should, when appropriate.

Here was me making a humorous observation and you come back with a sensible reply...

...and there are times when people should just shut up. How many times I've heard "I have a right to speak" from someone making an ass out of themselves.

I'm going to shut up now.

Actually, I find the terrible non-descriptive thread titles to be far more annoying than the threads that continue to beat the proverbial dead horse.  Sure, there are three new threads started every week about adding star destroyers to the game.  I could go into the thread and read the same handful of arguments for and against the idea re-posted by dozens of people.  Far more likely though, I will read the title of the thread and decide that I have better things to do with my time.

The far more annoying beasts are the threads started by people who don't understand the concept of giving threads descriptive titles.  Instead we get threads titled things on the order of "I have a question," "What do you think about this," and "Guess what?" to dig through.

Ironically the OP is from a country where freedom of speech is part of the constitution.

Freedom of speech only means freedom from government suppression of speech. So, the government can't tell someone to STFU, but literally everyone else can and should, when appropriate.

Just cause every thread could use more xkcd:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png

Linked instead because I wasn't sure the rules on posting a pic with the word bulls**t.

Edited by Souladin

Just cause every thread could use more xkcd:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png

Linked instead because I wasn't sure the rules on posting a pic with the word bulls**t.

:lol: It's funny because it's true

Actually, I find the terrible non-descriptive thread titles to be far more annoying than the threads that continue to beat the proverbial dead horse.  Sure, there are three new threads started every week about adding star destroyers to the game.  I could go into the thread and read the same handful of arguments for and against the idea re-posted by dozens of people.  Far more likely though, I will read the title of the thread and decide that I have better things to do with my time.

The far more annoying beasts are the threads started by people who don't understand the concept of giving threads descriptive titles.  Instead we get threads titled things on the order of "I have a question," "What do you think about this," and "Guess what?" to dig through.

Thoughts on, "So this is a thing..." I was worried about vagueness. But at the same time it just fit my thoughts so well.