Sign in to follow this  
PatientWolf

McGuffin Ideas

I'm working on an EotE campaign for my players in which they are hired by a crime boss to steal the McGuffin before a rival can get it. The informant that was to help them steals it for himself and sets it up so it looks like the PCs ripped off their employer and took it for themselves. So the PCs end up being chased by the minions of both crime bosses as they chase after this object that is constantly changing hands as people lie, steal and kill to get it leading them on a merry little romp through the galaxy.  Trouble is, I'm drawing a blank for what to use as the McGuffin here. I've thought about something like a valuable jewel, piece of art or something like that but it feels to cliche. I'd rather have something unique that powerful people throughout the galaxy would want. So I though I would solict some suggestions from the kind folks here on the forums.

A probe droid with the location of "rich stuff" in it's databanks

The plans to a new Imperial superweapon

Moff Tarkin's secret bastard daughter (in stasis, and she's a baby so the case is a little smaller then a footlocker.)

The secret formula for TaggeCoLa

Marcellus Wallace Soul

A holo of some old, dead Nabooian Senator looking very pregnant and with some whiny blonde in dark brown robes.

A case... you're being paid enough to not care what's in it, or do I need to find someone else?

A long lost (and largely unremarkable) Holofeature that contains an opening animated short featuring the first appearance of Rodney the Rocketpack Rodent. (this is my favorite as the Adventure ends with an elite security team killing everyone except the players, and a kindly old man in an expensive suit enters, reviews the footage, cries a little, thanks the PCs, and walks out. As the security teams leaves, the team leader hands the PCs a case containing a large amount of credits and free lifetime VIP passes to all Rodneyworld theme parks)

Edited by Ghostofman

An Alderaanian Cryodex, you just need two to be able to use it properly...

Of course as long as this one is out in the open everyone will be coming after it as the Empire makes use of this (and the Rebel Alliance did too until one went missing...) of course it will need to be verified which is why it was stolen since the thief can sell it countless times as its just the blueprint for making one something only a few people on Alderaan would know and since they're all dead it will take someone with access to an actual existing model to be able to realise the truth... that it actually works.

Did I mention Black Sun has one...?

Now who exactly was this rival you were stealing this from?

An ore, mineral, or crystal found way out in deep space that has revolutionary scientific repercussions. I'm using this one in my present campaign. The PCs have to go rescue a bunch of explorers on a Lorenar E-9 from a bunch of privateers hosted by Black Sun.

Seeing as people are generally awesome at coming up with ideas for the MacGuffin, I'm also having problems figuring out exacly what my McGuffin is.

An Imperial bureaucrat has stolen som important imperial documents (this is the McGuffin), and is trying to sell it to the Rebellion. However as he doesn't have direct link with the rebellion he tries to sell it to some Hutts, these hutts hire the crew to steal the documents instead of buying them off the Imperial.

What I haven't decided is exactly what these documents contain. All I want of them is for them to be worth millions to the Rebellion, and also being important enough to the Emperor that soon he will send an Emperors Hand after whoever have the documents (he hasn't dispatched a Hand yet as the theft hasn't been discovered). Any good ideas as to what might be so important?

The Jewel of Yavin itself is a wonderful McGuffin.

Part of the backstory of the Jewel is that it was recovered from a Massassi Temple 4,000 years ago, which would have been at the end of Naga Sadow was brought down.

Being that the Jewel of Yavin is huge Corsica Gem, which can be used as a Lightsaber Crystal among other things, it's possible that Naga Sadow could have had some plans in mind for the Jewel before his downfall. 

Various intelligence reports including one involving Cad Bane's theft of a Jedi Holocron from the Jedi Temple on Coruscant that contained the identities of force sensitive children the Jedi were interested in...

The location of the Maw and why its important...

Palpatine's interest in various Force related artefacts and events such as a "Wound in the Force" ala Darth Sion and the Exile... the fact that there's a world run by machines that may have slumbering force users in stasis...

The location of a Rakata artefact linked to the creation of the twi'lek race reputed to be able to modify people so they can better handle the force... let alone wield it...

A hidden star system being religiously blockaded by the Chiss because its home to an extremely nasty Sith Lord whose seeking a new body so he can return to the Galaxy

Could use this to explain why Palpatine is so powerful, Plagueis didn't die he simply possessed his killer and is the same entity and wants any information on his true past completely obliterated... this Imperial however is unaware of the true importance of that information

Seeing as people are generally awesome at coming up with ideas for the MacGuffin, I'm also having problems figuring out exacly what my McGuffin is.

An Imperial bureaucrat has stolen som important imperial documents (this is the McGuffin), and is trying to sell it to the Rebellion. However as he doesn't have direct link with the rebellion he tries to sell it to some Hutts, these hutts hire the crew to steal the documents instead of buying them off the Imperial.

What I haven't decided is exactly what these documents contain. All I want of them is for them to be worth millions to the Rebellion, and also being important enough to the Emperor that soon he will send an Emperors Hand after whoever have the documents (he hasn't dispatched a Hand yet as the theft hasn't been discovered). Any good ideas as to what might be so important?

The location of the second Death Star.  The plans for it were supplied by the many dead Bothans but the location. Endor, is supplied by your players.

I got inspiration for my MacGuffin from an early chapter in Sons of Fortune- the tiny little blurb about Corellian "Soul Gems"- I think it's on the last page of the chapter about Corellia, for those following along at home. Basically, some Corellians have a tradition where they not only cremate their dead, but compress the ashes into a diamond-y thing called a soul gem. The formula goes- [bad guy] needs the remains of Corellian Jedi [Corellian name] for his [bad guy thing- like a ritual, or whatever]. The group won't realize until later on that the lightsaber they looted from an early adventure is actually his remains- they were made into a soul gem, and the soul gem is the focusing crystal of the lightsaber. The group doesn't understand why the various agents of the bad guy are convinced that the group has the remains until you're ready for a big reveal. Boom.

1) the chemical composition ie. the recipe for the virus in Death Troopers

2) the Locations of the Cloning/Storeage facilities where the Emporer is keeping the Clones of himself

3) a list of all the Imperial spies intergrated withen the Rebel's Infrastructure.

I personally like the McGuffin no suspects is a McGuffin.  Have them hired to transport something small, potentially important. Like a datapad, small crate, or a couple of passengers.  Everyone comes after them, and just as you intend, they assume their cargo is hotter than expected.  In reality, their cargo isn't what they are after.  The engine upgrade they just installed was stolen from a crime boss.  Or they have a stowaway in their maintenance ducts.  Or even had a passerby etch a map into the hull of their ship.  Then you get the fun of them still being chased, even once the cargo is unloaded.

I personally like the McGuffin no suspects is a McGuffin.  Have them hired to transport something small, potentially important. Like a datapad, small crate, or a couple of passengers.  Everyone comes after them, and just as you intend, they assume their cargo is hotter than expected.  In reality, their cargo isn't what they are after.  The engine upgrade they just installed was stolen from a crime boss.  Or they have a stowaway in their maintenance ducts.  Or even had a passerby etch a map into the hull of their ship.  Then you get the fun of them still being chased, even once the cargo is unloaded.

One I pulled back in the day was a shipment of plain boring datapads....in crates made of compressed painted spice. Ran the players nuts.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyle_Katarn

This could be useful to you guys.  Kyle Katarn is probably one of the most forgotten and underrated heroes of this era.  Which is unfortunate.  He's basically Han Solo, but is trained as a Jedi, which makes him the only candidate in all the lore of Star War even remotely possible to be at least as cool as Han Solo himself.

Also, the fact that he is so involved during this era, and the NJO makes his story and adventures prime candidates for give players a lot of content that is important to the original trilogy.

I know this isn't very specific to the questions asked, but I think this will at least help you get your creative juices flowing :)

The Experiment.

What is The Experiment, you ask? It is a large, snake-like substance created by a covert team of expert Imperial scientists. They received countless credits as a grant to create this super weapon that could cripple ships in instants. The Experiment is made up of a very thick, nearly gelatinous neon-blue substance that appears as if a form of plasma. The Experiment, when made, was impossible to move, merely sitting in place. In order to try and move it, the scientist placed a brain-like organ within The Experiment, believing that by making it alive, they could control The Experiment.

However, they did not realize that The Experiment could not understand them, and due to the self preservation cortex placed within the mind, when they tried to zap the experiment in order to get it to not to do something (common scientific procedures), it reacted violently.

The Experiment has since been contianed within a large, rubber container. Due to its lack of ability to follow orders, and it's lack of ability to plain old DIE, the Empire left The Experiment in an isolated base. It's the job of the players to steal this, although there are other rivals out there, trying to steal it as well...

The Experiment is safely contained in a large metal crate a bit larger than a nerf, which is insealed with rubber. The Experiment, if released from captivity, will be very confused and curious. It will cause lights around itself to intensify, and electronics to run aster and more efficiently. If threatened in the slightest way, The Experiment will throw a 'tantrum,' making a loud screeching noise and causing nearby electronics (but luckily not blasters, but still vibro weapon batteries and other obviously electric gear) to explode, as its self preservation activates. If threatened greatly, it will begin to attack everything around itself, even innocent bystanders, if present.

As previously stated, The Experiment cannot die. Energy will hurt it, but will not damage it (if anything it actually empowers The Experiment, although painfully). Physical substances will bounce off of The Experiment if striking it, and if substances try to force themselves to crush it, these substances will never be able to do so (they will either break or be melted). The Experiment's attack is the similar to a Lightsaber. Its stats are:

Brawn: 2

Agility: 4

Intellect: 1

Cunning: 1

Willpower: 2

Presence: 1

Abilities: Electric (The Experiment does not need to make a check to control electronics, except for blasters), Indestructable (The Experiment cannot die).

Equipment: Plasma Strike (Melee; Damage 10; Critical Rating 1; Breach 1)

In case you were wondering, I've spent a long time thinking about his creation.

I have double or possible triple McGuffin I'm hitting my party with. The opening session began with them be attacked by pirates with an old Gand NPC sneaking a crystal into a party member's bag gmcguffin the first). Turns out the crystal is actually a Shard scientist (only one member of the party knows this) so they now need to find a droid body they can implant the Shard into so they can find out what the pirates wanted (mcguffin B).Finally once they find a translator body the Shard is going to reveal the location of a secret Imperial lab that is making a super weapon knows only as "The Catalyst" .

I have double or possible triple McGuffin I'm hitting my party with. The opening session began with them be attacked by pirates with an old Gand NPC sneaking a crystal into a party member's bag gmcguffin the first). Turns out the crystal is actually a Shard scientist (only one member of the party knows this) so they now need to find a droid body they can implant the Shard into so they can find out what the pirates wanted (mcguffin B).Finally once they find a translator body the Shard is going to reveal the location of a secret Imperial lab that is making a super weapon knows only as "The Catalyst" .

Super weapon known only as "The Catalyst..."

Or The Experiment!

Although admitibly, The Catalyst is much more interesting than The Experiement. But that doesnt mean you can't mix and match it up!

As a side note, I'm liking all of these McGuffins going on here. Good for if you ever need one on the spot.