Sign in to follow this  
Khsofsso

Proton torpedo or homing missile

Hi everyone.

I need some help deciding between proton torp or homing missile.

I think the main question is what's the Math on using Protons compared to Homing.

Obvious protons allow to change one Focus to a Crit, but Homing still allow to use Target Lock reroll

The build is for Jonus.

I'm already fielding.

2x scimitar with proton torps

Soontir with stealth, push the limit.

Won't be changing the bombers.

I used to go Jendon with ST321. But tried Soontir, now in love.

Idea is strip shields with high PS then launch protons

I actually did some math on this. With Jonus, you are actually better off fielding Proton Torpedoes or Concussion Missiles. 

With Jonus's re-roll you can't have two re-rolls so the target lock isn't that useful. Second, when rolling 4 dice you have a total of 15 possible outcomes. "x" is a hit (or a crit), "o" is focus and "-" is blank. I'll use proton torpedoes in this example as you mentioned them, but the same math also applies to concussion missiles just with a blank instead of a focus. 

xxxx: even between protons and homing+target-lock

xxxo: Favor to PT due to the automatic change to a crit.

xxx-: Favor to PT due to a 6/8 chance on re-roll instead of 4/8

xxoo: Favor to PT as one automatically changes. You only re-roll one die instead of two.

xxo-: Favor to PT as the focus automatically changes. Only re-roll one die instead of two.

xx--: One die on the re-roll has a 6/8 chance, the other a 4/8. While TL only has 4/8 on both.

x000: For this and the next two that follow, you have essentially rolled two hits, and so only re-roll two dice. With a target lock you would be re-rolling three.

x00-

x0--

x---: Favor to the HM+TL as you average 1.5hits as opposed to just 1 with the re-rolls.

0000: Even. HM+TL re-roll gets you an average of 2 hits. PT+Jorus gets you an average of 2 hits. The one focus becomes a hit, they you re-roll two dice. That re-roll on average grants you one hit. So a total of 2. The target lock re-rolls all 4 dice, which also gives an average of 2 hits.

000-: Even. HM+TL re-roll gets you an average of 2 hits. PT+Jorus gets you an average of 2 hits.

00--: Even. HM+TL re-roll gets you an average of 2 hits. PT+Jorus gets you an average of 2 hits.

0---: Even. HM+TL re-roll gets you an average of 2 hits. PT+Jorus gets you an average of 2 hits.

----: Favor to HM+TL

So 13/15 rolls favor or are even a PT (Or CM) if you are using Jonus (but then they still favor PT because of lower point cost). However, Jonus himself should very much consider taking a homing missile.

Hope that helps!

Obvious protons allow to change one Focus to a Crit, but Homing still allow to use Target Lock reroll

You have to spend your target lock in order to fire Homing Missiles, so you cannot reroll dice.

actually homing missiles dont require you to spend the lock, you merely have to have one to fire them, all other missiles and torps require you spend it to fire them though.

Edit: Ninja'd

Edited by Mace Windu

I actually did some math on this. With Jonus, you are actually better off fielding Proton Torpedoes or Concussion Missiles.

With Jonus's re-roll you can't have two re-rolls so the target lock isn't that useful. Second, when rolling 4 dice you have a total of 15 possible outcomes. "x" is a hit (or a crit), "o" is focus and "-" is blank. For this and the next two a PT (Or CM) if you are using Jonus (but then they still favor PT because of lower point cost). However, Jonus himself should very much consider taking a homing missile. [/size][/font][/color][/background]

Thanks for all the stats. Yeah the bombers are having PT's it was just what was best for Jonus

You have to spend your target lock in order to fire Homing Missiles, so you cannot reroll dice.

As been referenced in above post. You only need a TL for Homing you don't spend it. So still have reroll choice

Edited by Khsofsso

Now this is to specifically give to Jonus correct? In that case Homing is probably better, His PS is high enough that many ships will still have shields when he shoots so homing allows him to strip shields  more effectively so the generics with their protons can lay on the crits.

Now this is to specifically give to Jonus correct? In that case Homing is probably better, His PS is high enough that many ships will still have shields when he shoots so homing allows him to strip shields  more effectively so the generics with their protons can lay on the crits.

Unless you have some other way to modify the dice for the attack (like Jonus will do for the Scimitars' Proton Torpedoes), Homing Missiles are much more effective.

When I run Jonus, he almost always gets Homing Missiles.

Thanks both.

Now I need to decide if taking the Homing missiles is worth the extra point for potential loss of initiative.