Sign in to follow this  
Admiral JCJF

Assault on Imdaar Alpha - Why no New Zealand (or Australia) Events?

So yes take it as an insult complain its only fair that everyone gets a game.

Fairness has absolutely nothing to do with it. Again, it's just a pre-release. You guys are making it sound like FFG is refusing to sell any product in your country, or barring you from participating in the World Championship.

Have you actually read anything anyone has posted or even what FFG has said about this event?

This event is a pre event this means the distributor has nothing to do with stock levels at all. FFG asked stores to apply and they as a result ship out a games kit to the stores that have been awarded. FFG therefore knows exactly how many kits they need and what stores to send them to. The distributor in this case just hands them on. FFG may even find its cheaper to post them on directly.

This was always a world wide event from the time it was first published before the stores applied for the kits.

No restrictions will apply to any country if that county already sells the game So again you don't have a clue.

Lastly for this event you take wave 1-3 ships to the tournament as wave 4 wont be out and play a normal tournament. The top two players then get access to wave 4 ships to build a squad. Top 4 get to choose a ship each.

So any arguments on realise dates is irrelevant.

I really don't have the patience to re-explain my position to you, but the fact that you clearly don't understand it doesn't make it any less valid. I'm also getting the distinct impression that there's a language barrier here.

You can keep crying about it if you want, but the simple fact is they don't have enough product for you. Fair or unfair, it's just a game, and the sky isn't falling because you don't get a pre-release.

You dont have a position to be valid, you keep saying its a supply issue its not in any way a supply problem. FFG has a certin amount of kits, the knew how many kits they had before awarding stores the tournament rights.

Its simple maths you have 1000 kits you can have 1000 stores hosting a tournament.

Edited by Bazinga

In Perth, Western Australia my FLGS got in a bit late: I haven't heard of any other places that did get it here and I wouldn't expect to.

Side note on the supposedly large number of regionals in Aus compared to the US in terms of population: the population of Perth is about 2 Million and our nearest regional is Adelaide, a short 27 hour drive away...

Not complaining, just saying.

...seventeen posts with no mention of sheep, hobbits, or drop-bears*? That's practically criminal--much like the founding population of Australia! (See, that's how it's done.)

Nice work!

New Zealand and Australia are notoriously difficult countries to ship to, thanks to their "interesting" import laws (this is justified, seeing as they are islands and one accidentally imported beasty could totally frak their ecosystems). It is possible that some screwy loophole prevents them from getting advanced shipments of something (this could be because of where they ship from, the advance schedule, etc.) But it sucks that you won't get an Alpha event. Sorry to hear that bro.

Again, nope.

I've actually done a lot of international shipping to New Zealand on a commercial level and there is nothing which would prevent something like the pre-release pack getting into the country.

Meh. Was just a suggestion.

* IIRC there were rumours of NZ stores getting Kessel Run kits and selling the ships online pre-release without trying to run an event. Is it possible your LGS has been banned from running Imdaar Alpha because of this (just a theory), or because they plan to do this with the ships they are getting (also just a theory)?

I've heard this before, but nothing more than the vaguest of rumours.

It sure as hell wasn't either of the Auckland stores, which are the only ones in a population center large enough to justify a pre-release event in any case.

Unless you are the person in both stores who runs/orders these things, you can't possibly know that (they sure as hell aren't going to tell their customer base that they screwed them over for profit).

And you don't consider Wellington big enough to host an event?

Releases have, historically, been somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months behind schedule.

I call bull$#!+ on this, and I'm sick of people trying to push fumbled release dates as the "norm". Wave 2 was late because of quality control reasons which were explained as it was happening. Aces was delayed without explanation, but I strongly suspect some late playtesting issues that forced reprints. THAT'S IT. Wave 3 was actually on sale at GenCon BEFORE it was expected, and now the Transport looks to be released right on schedule (or before in some cases) and the Tantive is not far behind. So please quit trying to peddle this garbage.

Um

According to the slide at GenCon, the Rebel Transport and Tantive IV were planned for the first quarter of 2014. That would be the end of March at the latest. Instead, we're getting the Rebel Transport at the end of April, and the Tantive IV maybe in May. They're late.

Wave 4 has been slated for second quarter 2014 since it was announced. Prerelease tournaments notwithstanding, I'd be surprised if it officially went on sale by the end of June.

Oh, and the only reason Wave 3 was on sale at GenCon "earlier than expected" is because FFG airlifted it there at high cost. That's what FFG does for GenCon every year — it flies new product there and sells it for little to no profit, with the only gain being to generate buzz. Wave 3's official release was simply on time, not early, although that itself was a feat considering FFG's track record.

I might add that this isn't just an X-Wing thing. FFG has a reputation for being late with product from its other games, too. One FLGS owner once joked to me that "it's FFG — add two months to the release date and you'll get when it actually comes out." It's an adage that frequently proves to be true.

...seventeen posts with no mention of sheep, hobbits, or drop-bears*? That's practically criminal--much like the founding population of Australia! (See, that's how it's done.)

Nice work!

Thanks! The way I figure it, anyone can do boilerplate nationalism and American exceptionalism. In fact, I'm pretty sure we don't even bother to manufacture our own any more; we just import it in bulk from China.

So instead I go for more of the bespoke market. I want you to feel like I really got to know you, got a feel for your national culture and history, and picked something specific to make fun of--something that's unique to you.

To get back to the actual thread topic… I really do understand how it would feel to find out there were no Imdaar events close enough for you to attend, let alone having your whole country slighted. But again, it's not a sure thing that NZ is left out (because that would be weird), and if it is then I agree with the posters who have said that it would be constructive to write a polite e-mail to FFG customer service and/or to the regional distributor. At least that might help make sure you guys aren't left out of the next major event!

* IIRC there were rumours of NZ stores getting Kessel Run kits and selling the ships online pre-release without trying to run an event. Is it possible your LGS has been banned from running Imdaar Alpha because of this (just a theory), or because they plan to do this with the ships they are getting (also just a theory)?

It sure as hell wasn't either of the Auckland stores, which are the only ones in a population center large enough to justify a pre-release event in any case.

Unless you are the person in both stores who runs/orders these things, you can't possibly know that (they sure as hell aren't going to tell their customer base that they screwed them over for profit).

Well nothing ever appeared online and no-one ever used anything prior to release.

And, no.

Wellington actually is tiny in terms of global cities.

You do know population of a city and player base aren't really related right?

In fact in a smaller city it's more likely that all the city's players can play together creating a stronger community than in a big city where you end with isolated pockets which can independently fold due to lack of critical mass. This is really just hypothetical to illustrate a point.

Plus wellington is a way better city than Auckland.

Well nothing ever appeared online and no-one ever used anything prior to release.

And, no.

There was stuff appearing online, hence the rumours at the time. Also; Falcons were listed for sale on e-bay prior to the holding of a tournament (so before anyone could have known they'd won one) with a NZ listing. Which would be why you didn't see anyone use one.

Remember at the time Falcons were fetching US$250-$300.

And there is a difference between being smaller than Aukland and not big enough to host an event. Canberra (which is roughly the same size as Wellington) is hosting both a regionals and nationals. A large number of cities in the US at comparable size to Wellington are hosting events.

And, no.

There was stuff appearing online, hence the rumours at the time. Also; Falcons were listed for sale on e-bay prior to the holding of a tournament (so before anyone could have known they'd won one) with a NZ listing. Which would be why you didn't see anyone use one.

Remember at the time Falcons were fetching US$250-$300.

And there is a difference between being smaller than Aukland and not big enough to host an event. Canberra (which is roughly the same size as Wellington) is hosting both a regionals and nationals. A large number of cities in the US at comparable size to Wellington are hosting events.

Sure.

The fact that cities as small as Wellington elsewhere are hosting events only makes it more offensive that one the size of Auckland is missing out.

But if there WAS one in Wellington then I'd happily travel down, at least there would be some support for the Kiwi market.

As it is we are ALL getting shafted.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167862

hmmmmm, I guess the OP spoke too soon. I knew there'd be events in Australia, you just had to wait for them to be posted.

Yeah, I've been chasing up both FFG and the Australian Distributor to get that list.  Now trying to get the info from the stores.  If you know of one of the stores running the event and can flick me details for their event (what day, time, cost, etc) and I'll update the list.

Death held out a hand. I WANT, he said, A BOOK ABOUT THE DANGEROUS CREATURES OF FOURECKS-

Albert looked up and dived for cover, receiving only mild bruising because he had the foresight to curl into a ball.

After a while Death, his voice a little muffled, said: ALBERT, I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD GIVE ME A HAND HERE.

Albert scrambled up and pulled at some of the huge volumes, finally dislodging enough of them for his master to clamber free.

HMM... Death picked up a book at random and read the cover. "DANGEROUS MAMMALS, REPTILES, AMPHIBIANS, BIRDS, FISH, JELLYFISH, INSECTS, SPIDERS, CRUSTACEANS, GRASSES, TREES, MOSSES, AND LICHENS OF TERROR INCOGNITA, " he read. His gaze moved down the spine. VOLUME 29C, he added. OH. PART THREE, I SEE.

He glanced up at the listening shelves. POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

They waited.

IT WOULD APPEAR THAT-

"No, wait master. Here it comes."

Albert pointed to something white zigzagging lazily through the air. Finally Death reached up an caught the single sheet of paper.

He read it carefully and then turned it over briefly just in case anything was written on the other side.

"May I?" said Albert. Death handed him the paper.

"'Some of the sheep, '" Albert read aloud. "Oh, well. Maybe a week at the seaside'd be better, then."

WHAT AN INTRIGUING PLACE, said Death. SADDLE UP THE HORSE, ALBERT. I FEEL SURE I'M GOING TO BE NEEDED.

Your stores have to apply for it, if they don't apply, then you get no events. As far as I'm aware just about every store that applies and has room for more than 12 players gets picked.

You know, I've seen this topic crop up more than once. I wonder exactly why y'all didn't get access to them? I have to admit it is fairly confusing.

Well I'm sorry that you guys won't be able to assault the secret facility, but hopefully the prerelease will only be a week or two in advance of the regular ships release. So hopefully you won't have to wait too long while all your international friends lord it up over you with their shiny new toys. 

You know, I've seen this topic crop up more than once. I wonder exactly why y'all didn't get access to them? I have to admit it is fairly confusing.

Well I'm sorry that you guys won't be able to assault the secret facility, but hopefully the prerelease will only be a week or two in advance of the regular ships release. So hopefully you won't have to wait too long while all your international friends lord it up over you with their shiny new toys.

Good to see you read the new posts before responding.....

A bugger to here about your situation over in kiwi land, but im sure things will improve. A local(ish) club here in Queensland, Aus has announced they sre running Imdaar Alpha on the 31st, $15au entry fee. The player base around here is still fairly new and this will be my first tounament. So excited bout that! :)

A bugger to here about your situation over in kiwi land, but im sure things will improve. A local(ish) club here in Queensland, Aus has announced they sre running Imdaar Alpha on the 31st, $15au entry fee. The player base around here is still fairly new and this will be my first tounament. So excited bout that! :)

Good luck!

im in NZ, my local Game Store, The Gateway is in Tauranga. We are hosting our own events and trying to grow the player base. Right mow we have 6 regular players and the ability to call upon another 4-6 for bigger tournaments, so i cant really complain. we pretty much organize our own events - set the format, entry fee and prizes. :) would be nice to have access to the prize support thats out their but we do get the Game Night Kits so thats good enough for us.