Sign in to follow this  
Admiral JCJF

Assault on Imdaar Alpha - Why no New Zealand (or Australia) Events?

I wonder if it could be a legal issue?

I don't know much about the laws in Aus or NZ, but I do know in the MMO world they will often run contests that involve giving stuff away and they can't run those contests in some countries due to gambling/lottery laws.

Nothing in New Zealand law to stop this kind of competition.

We have FAR more lax gambling restrictions than most US states.

New Zealand and Australia are notoriously difficult countries to ship to, thanks to their "interesting" import laws (this is justified, seeing as they are islands and one accidentally imported beasty could totally frak their ecosystems). It is possible that some screwy loophole prevents them from getting advanced shipments of something (this could be because of where they ship from, the advance schedule, etc.) But it sucks that you won't get an Alpha event. Sorry to hear that bro.

New Zealand and Australia are notoriously difficult countries to ship to, thanks to their "interesting" import laws (this is justified, seeing as they are islands and one accidentally imported beasty could totally frak their ecosystems). It is possible that some screwy loophole prevents them from getting advanced shipments of something (this could be because of where they ship from, the advance schedule, etc.) But it sucks that you won't get an Alpha event. Sorry to hear that bro.

Again, nope.

I've actually done a lot of international shipping to New Zealand on a commercial level and there is nothing which would prevent something like the pre-release pack getting into the country.

Seriously, how is this an issue? FFG is notorious for being behind schedule when it comes to releasing product, and here we're talking about a pre-release. Of course supplies are going to be finite. Time to stop taking it personally, OP.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Seriously, how is this an issue? FFG is notorious for being behind schedule when it comes to releasing product, and here we're talking about a pre-release. Of course supplies are going to be finite. Time to stop taking it personally, OP.

How is FFG's tardy release schedule relevant?

Our stories TRIED to order early and were told that because we are in the wrong part of the world that we weren't allowed a pre-release pack.

Try to imagine for a moment what kind of reaction FFG would get if they said "everyone in the US can order and pay for the pre-release packs, but not Washington State, they are not going to get any because we say so".

That's EXACTLY what they have done, just replace Washington with New Zealand (and maybe Australia).

I think you should look first at the distributors in NZ and AU. Pixelpark and Good Games respectively.

Yeah, my local games night store asked and got told straight "there are none for your country".

That's just not good enough.

Then the games stores should raise a shitstorm with the distributors and they should take it up with FFG. If Slovenia gets events and Australia doesn't, it just means that the distributor for Slovenia is better at their work.

How is FFG's tardy release schedule relevant?

Our stories TRIED to order early and were told that because we are in the wrong part of the world that we weren't allowed a pre-release pack.

Try to imagine for a moment what kind of reaction FFG would get if they said "everyone in the US can order and pay for the pre-release packs, but not Washington State, they are not going to get any because we say so".

That's EXACTLY what they have done, just replace Washington with New Zealand (and maybe Australia).

First of all, I have a hard time believing they told you that you're simply not allowed. If you can provide us with some textual evidence it might shed some more light on the subject. Second of all, the release schedule has everything to do with it. Releases have, historically, been somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months behind schedule. Now, imagine the difficulty of supplying every store with product before even the scheduled release. Supposing we could trust them to plan well enough ahead of time - which, given the novelty of a pre-release event for X-Wing, I don't think we can - I sincerely doubt there would be enough to go around. You're accusing FFG of purposely slighting your country when it's almost certainly a logistics issue.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

FFG should have anticipated the stock requirement. Which have absolutely nothing to do with when ships are realised on sale because the ships are given to the stores and the players use these ships in the final round. Its not hard to work out if you have 1000 stores you need 1000 of each ship.

No country will have had these ships realised before the event, The players who make it to the final round will be given the ships the need from the games kit.

So yes take it as an insult complain its only fair that everyone gets a game.

Especially when its a global event something the Americans have overlooked.

The UK have had there National set for this weekend for a year FFG forgot organised this wave 4 event. As a result the UK get to hold the wave 4 pre realise event up to two weeks later.

Though it may be events are planned and just not advertised as yet.

FFG should have anticipated the stock requirement. 

Which are forecasted by the distributors. I still think the fault lies primarily with them, and not FFG.

That's a possibility.

But it's not what the distributor is saying to us.

Initially we were told that the pre-release was US only, when we told them that was BS they said that there weren't any packs available for "our part of the world".

I'd like to know what Assault on Imdaar Alpha has which would trip AU import laws, seeing as everything else X-Wing related is okay.

Some kind of live animal perhaps?

That's a possibility.

But it's not what the distributor is saying to us.

Initially we were told that the pre-release was US only, when we told them that was BS they said that there weren't any packs available for "our part of the world".

Sounds like they're covering their asses.

Fairness has absolutely nothing to do with it. Again, it's just a pre-release. You guys are making it sound like FFG is refusing to sell any product in your country, or barring you from participating in the World Championship.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Releases have, historically, been somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months behind schedule.

I call bull$#!+ on this, and I'm sick of people trying to push fumbled release dates as the "norm". Wave 2 was late because of quality control reasons which were explained as it was happening. Aces was delayed without explanation, but I strongly suspect some late playtesting issues that forced reprints. THAT'S IT. Wave 3 was actually on sale at GenCon BEFORE it was expected, and now the Transport looks to be released right on schedule (or before in some cases) and the Tantive is not far behind. So please quit trying to peddle this garbage.

To the OP: I can't imagine that FFG would completely ignore your market. There were Kessel Runs in Australia that happened before those in the US, so I'm sure that FFG are not unaware of the market there. If it is truly what your distributors are saying, then I agree that something is very wrong.

Edited by ziggy2000

Releases have, historically, been somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months behind schedule.

I call bull on this, and I'm sick of people trying to push fumbled release dates as the "norm". Wave 2 was late because of quality control reasons which were explained as it was happening. Aces was delayed without explanation, but I strongly suspect some late playtesting issues that forced reprints. THAT'S IT. Wave 3 was actually on sale at GenCon BEFORE it was expected, and now the Transport looks to be released right on schedule (or before in some cases) and the Tantive is not far behind. So please quit trying to peddle this garbage.

To the OP: I can't imagine that FFG would completely ignore your market. There were Kessel Runs in Australia that happened before those in the US, so I'm sure that FFG are not unaware of the market there. If it is truly what your distributors are saying, then I agree that something is very wrong.

We have no idea what the actual schedule was supposed to look like for the the Transport or the Tantive, only that it was announced ages ago, and has been on almost permanent pre-order status ever since (with assumed release dates varying by retailer). The fact that the Transport was mysteriously on the boat for all of about a week before arrival gives testament to the unpredictability of FFG's release schedule.

Furthermore, since we're talking about release schedules within the context of logistical issues, we might as well throw in the enormous wait for wave 1 restocks. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that, at best, half of FFG's scheduled production has fallen behind at one point or another.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

One thing I would point out is that these kits are all being airshipped out of China for the Assault on Imdaar Alpha event.  It's possible that FFG couldn't justify chartering a plane specifically to Australia for the low quantity of events that would be held.  I'm not a logistics expert, but I have a feeling that FFG doesn't just call up UPS and say "I wanna ship these to this LGS in Austrailia" and then pay $25.99 or whatever postage.  There's a distribution network that FFG uses that'll likely have to be apart of any distribution of the AIA kits, potentially for union reasons.

And this isn't even getting into customs.  Perhaps FFG realizes that the Aussie customs takes 2 weeks longer, or doesn't have a priority "lane" to get stuff through.  And from the time that the ships were available, even if they airlifted them straight to Australia, they wouldn't clear customs and then be distributed in time to support the WORLD WIDE prerelease date of May 30th.  Sure, they could delay the AU dates, or they could delay all of the dates, but then you start looking at extra $$ to ship out vs. time available before the rest of everything gets there.  And at some point, it doesn't make sense.

Now, these are all potential reasons I've thought up, that have nothing to do with FFG being an evil company who's prejudice against all ya'll down under.  They may not be the real reasons, heck, they're probably not the real reasons.  But there's a lot that goes on in a business to successfully run a business.  Keep in mind that they expect to turn a profit from this prerelease.  I'm sure somewhere in their projections, they've predicted that if players see the W4 ships in action, they're going to be buying more of them, and therefore there will be a profit.  And perhaps that's WHY some of these small towns in USA got kits when other places didn't... It pretty much is a set cost to transport 100 kits vs 500 kits to the USA, so they might as well get as much coverage in a "targeted" area without saturating it (IE, if every customer was shipped his/her own kit, that would be fully saturated).  It's a big world out there with lots of obstacles!

not true, because whatever stuff going from China to the rest of the world usually goes past us, Singapore first.

apparently, the real reason is that the assault on Imdaar Alpha was originally meant to be within the USofA only, but later on they realized they have spares, so they could release to some other regions too, on a sort of 1st come 1st served basis. Because the 1st time round the FLGS were already told it was limited within USA, when FFG decided to extend it to other areas as well, these FLGS didnt get the memo until it was too late

Edited by Duraham

not true, because whatever stuff going from China to the rest of the world usually goes past us, Singapore first.

apparently, the real reason is that the assault on Imdaar Alpha was originally meant to be within the USofA only, but later on they realized they have spares, so they could release to some other regions too, on a sort of 1st come 1st served basis. Because the 1st time round the FLGS were already told it was limited within USA, when FFG decided to extend it to other areas as well, these FLGS didnt get the memo until it was too late

Sounds legit. Source?

If it is true that Australia have missed out, so be it.

At the end of the day, they are a US company, of course they are going to look after US first.

HOWEVER, I strongly doubt this. I believe that we are one of the countries that still need to be listed, with GG maybe not having finalised where, with that info coming in the next week or so. We have had every other event.... dating all the way back to the Kessel run, which was last time they did this sort of pre-release.

It is more likely that your LGS is telling you porkie-pies, either because they didn't put thier application in correctly or timely (even though they told you they did), or they haven't heard yet and think they missed out (likely), or they won't get any for another reason (*). Either way, it is easier to blame someone you don't have contact with as it stops them having to face up to an angry customer.

* IIRC there were rumours of NZ stores getting Kessel Run kits and selling the ships online pre-release without trying to run an event. Is it possible your LGS has been banned from running Imdaar Alpha because of this (just a theory), or because they plan to do this with the ships they are getting (also just a theory)?

EDIT: Another thing that has me believing that we won't miss out and this is all just rediculous impatience is that we have been VERY well looked after by FF in the past.
Do the maths on this years regionals...

US - 16 regionals for 320 million pop

AUS - 6 regionals for 23 million pop - In other words, we are getting 6x the regionals representation of the USA.

Edited by godofcheese

* IIRC there were rumours of NZ stores getting Kessel Run kits and selling the ships online pre-release without trying to run an event. Is it possible your LGS has been banned from running Imdaar Alpha because of this (just a theory), or because they plan to do this with the ships they are getting (also just a theory)?

I've heard this before, but nothing more than the vaguest of rumours.

It sure as hell wasn't either of the Auckland stores, which are the only ones in a population center large enough to justify a pre-release event in any case.

Fairness has absolutely nothing to do with it. Again, it's just a pre-release. You guys are making it sound like FFG is refusing to sell any product in your country, or barring you from participating in the World Championship.

Have you actually read anything anyone has posted or even what FFG has said about this event?

This event is a pre event this means the distributor has nothing to do with stock levels at all. FFG asked stores to apply and they as a result ship out a games kit to the stores that have been awarded. FFG therefore knows exactly how many kits they need and what stores to send them to. The distributor in this case just hands them on. FFG may even find its cheaper to post them on directly.

This was always a world wide event from the time it was first published before the stores applied for the kits.

No restrictions will apply to any country if that county already sells the game So again you don't have a clue.

Lastly for this event you take wave 1-3 ships to the tournament as wave 4 wont be out and play a normal tournament. The top two players then get access to wave 4 ships to build a squad. Top 4 get to choose a ship each.

So any arguments on realise dates is irrelevant.

Have you actually read anything anyone has posted or even what FFG has said about this event?

This event is a pre event this means the distributor has nothing to do with stock levels at all. FFG asked stores to apply and they as a result ship out a games kit to the stores that have been awarded. FFG therefore knows exactly how many kits they need and what stores to send them to. The distributor in this case just hands them on. FFG may even find its cheaper to post them on directly.

This was always a world wide event from the time it was first published before the stores applied for the kits.

No restrictions will apply to any country if that county already sells the game So again you don't have a clue.

Lastly for this event you take wave 1-3 ships to the tournament as wave 4 wont be out and play a normal tournament. The top two players then get access to wave 4 ships to build a squad. Top 4 get to choose a ship each.

So any arguments on realise dates is irrelevant.

I really don't have the patience to re-explain my position to you, but the fact that you clearly don't understand it doesn't make it any less valid. I'm also getting the distinct impression that there's a language barrier here.

You can keep crying about it if you want, but the simple fact is they don't have enough product for you. Fair or unfair, it's just a game, and the sky isn't falling because you don't get a pre-release.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Australia does have assault on imdaar. Just be patient and it will show up on the list. To my New Zealand friends I do hope you get it. Don't blame FFG If your store does not get it, blame your store. FFG made it clear that stores have to apply to get it