Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Herowannabe

No disintegrations! (Tips for flying Fett)

66 posts in this topic

I can occasionally make use of Fett's ability when running expert handling on him.  After a barrel roll, you need a green maneuver to clear stress.  A savvy opponent will look to block fett, removing his action.  the ability to pick a bank and switch it IF the opponent is blocking you, then barrel roll back behind them is pretty handy when it works.  If you're in the middle of a cluster of asteroids, or if there are a ton of ships left, then no, he's not going to be able to use his ability that much.  But as a dogfighter, esp. with Rebel Captive, he can be a superb and unpredictable closer. 

Ok so I have used Kath with EH and RC and love it. I am intrigued about using Fett +EH +nav. unless im missing something  It seems like if I choose a bank everytime I can do ANY manuever other than straight and still barrel roll (unless said manuever was red). He is PS 8 so he will be moving after just about every other ship and can see the playing field laid out before him before moving.How is that not kickass? in this case i think fett>Kath.

You know, after starting this thread and getting some feedback I've been playing with Kath a lot. I like her ability, but the thing is, in probably a half dozen games with her so far I have seen it kick in only one or maybe two times. Usually when I roll a crit it doesn't get cancelled (because of the regular hits getting cancelled first) so the ability doesn't get triggered. Which is fine, but...

... To all of you who argue that Kath > Fett simply because you rarely ever get to make use of Boba's ability, I say "Phooey to you."

I just saw this - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Star-Wars-LCG/news/deluxe-expansions/between-the-shadows/boba-fett.png - and wondered how it might translate into X-Wing. I'm thinking something along these lines:

Whenever this ship makes an attack that hits, remove all stress tokens from it.

Another interpretation could be if you succeed at an attack, make another primary attack, Probably give it the gunner clause of no more attacks this round, to limit it a bit. The intention of the SW:LCG version is, I assume, to be able to attack twice.

I just saw this - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Star-Wars-LCG/news/deluxe-expansions/between-the-shadows/boba-fett.png - and wondered how it might translate into X-Wing. I'm thinking something along these lines:

Another interpretation could be if you succeed at an attack, make another primary attack, Probably give it the gunner clause of no more attacks this round, to limit it a bit. The intention of the SW:LCG version is, I assume, to be able to attack twice.

That would be very broken... I like the idea that When you hit with an attack you may remove one token from your ship.  IF you remove a critical hit token flip that critical card over.  gets rid of ions, enemy Target locks, Stress, and flips crits.  Not broken, but very very good.

Edited by Aminar

That's what the LCG article says, though I don't pretend to know the first thing about the game. Well, that's not entirely true. My vague understanding was that focus tokens act similarly to tapping in Magic, meaning that a character who is already focused cannot attack. My interpretation is that the character is spent, either mentally or physically, and thus unable to perform again the same turn. That's why I translated it into stress rather than an additional attack, and I think removing stress - especially in the upcoming meta - would be far and away the more balanced alternative.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

That is true. I still think more variations on a second attack could be interesting. What about something that lets you be like a gunner? If you fail a primary, make a secondary? Or vice versa? Needing a secondary increases the points, quite dramatically if you want it to be permanent.

The stress thing could be neat too, but feels a little dry. Feels like another Fel, where you may as well just glue PTL to the card. :)

Edited by Damoel

That is true. I still think more variations on a second attack could be interesting. What about something that lets you be like a gunner? If you fail a primary, make a secondary? Or vice versa? Needing a secondary increases the points, quite dramatically if you want it to be permanent.

The stress thing could be neat too, but feels a little dry. Feels like another Fel, where you may as well just glue PTL to the card. :)

I don't know about that. Expert Handling, Flechettes, Opportunist, R3-A2 - these are all fairly common ways that stress could have an impact on the ship. Imagine if Boba had the ability I posted above, and you slapped EH and Gunner on him. How amazing would that be?

I really hope FFG is paying attention, because I would love for the Firespray to get some more attention at some point in the future. For now we have to make do with the most badass guy in the whole galaxy having a mediocre ability...

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Its true, EH could be terrifying, but I think I'd rather go with EU and PTL. Opportunist is a cute idea with that new ability though.

The best idea I've seen for making Fett better is from my buddy Rob: Fett gets an extra attack die against named pilots.

Also, I think Fettigator will see some play in the anti-Phantom meta.

Well for me I just can't see how for a single point more, can Fett be so bad compared to Kath, when I don't know how many games that I have played, that almost no critical got rolled an none were canceled and she is PS 7 instead of 8.

For me Fett is just superior in every way. The Fettnav combo can be useful once or twice a game, but when it does happened it can easily be a game changer. Was playing against an Elite Rebel list (3 fighters) the other day and it was impossible to guess where 2 of his ships that were moving before me would end up. I was suspecting that he played defensively and wanted to block me, but it was really not clear. Finally the use of the Nav and Fett ability was the turning point of the game: I was able to land a TL+Focus on Wedge with the rear firing arc, killed Wedge right there and it was the turning point of the game.

With any other Firespray I would have ended up blocked with no action, open to the fire of the 2 other ships.

Personally I am using Fettnav and even more with the Phantom coming!

The best idea I've seen for making Fett better is from my buddy Rob: Fett gets an extra attack die against named pilots.

Also, I think Fettigator will see some play in the anti-Phantom meta.

I can see this as a crew card, but it would probably be upwards of 4 points. Maybe more, if you apply it to all ships with a higher PS instead of just named ones. The generic Bounty Hunter is kind of in an awkward spot at PS3, so maybe somewhere around Luke territory would be appropriate. That's the same as an HLC, but without being restricted to the forward arc.