Sign in to follow this  
CooMasterCoo

Star Wars: TCG ---- Spoilers!

box-sw-lcg-right-copy.jpg

It might also be an acronym for Trading Card Game. But, it seems appropriately used in this case; the game is called "Star Wars: The Card Game."

No, because as I said earlier, this is a thing that exists:

44261.JPG

Edited by The Gas

Well, we thought long and hard about it when we started the podcast. But since the 'Trading Card Game' was discontinued back in 2005, we figured it was okay to call the show, Star Wars TCG. Everyone's talking about this game now and we believe this card game will last a long, long time in a galaxy far....oh sorry got carried away. Hope you all keep enjoying it! Thanks for listening!

Listen and subscribe at starwarstcg.com.

Edited by dcottingham21

The crux of your argument is that the acronym should not be used, because it has already been used for something else. What do you make of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APD

Typically, if an acronym is appropriate, it gets used. In some rare instances (remember the WWF change to WWE) some company or organization may take issue with one thing or another. But, in general, acronyms do not "belong" to the first thing to ever have said letters. 

I'll admit that when I first heard of this podcast, I thought it had something to do with the old Decipher game, but then I thought, "Why would anyone bother making a new podcast about a dead card game?  Maybe it means The Card Game instead of Trading Card Game..."  and I so I checked it out.

I'm sure FFG abbreviates their game as SW LCG for legal as well as practical reasons, since they're trying to make a profit with this game and don't want anybody to be confused when they try to order product.  And while the letters TCG do seem more synonymous with "Trading Card Game" in many players' minds, it wasn't a huge leap in mental fortitude to realize that in this particular case, they meant "The Card Game."

I'll admit that when I first heard of this podcast, I thought it had something to do with the old Decipher game, but then I thought, "Why would anyone bother making a new podcast about a dead card game?  Maybe it means The Card Game instead of Trading Card Game..."  and I so I checked it out.

The old Decipher game was actually the Star Wars CCG.  The TCG was the WotC one which came after Decipher lost the license.

Regardless, this "You can't use the acronym!" is a rather silly, pedantic little argument.  It's his podcast, he can call it the Wars of Star GPWCOATPWSSOT (Game Played With Cards On A Table Preferably With Some Sort Of Tokens) if he wants.  People will figure it out or they won't, and his audience size will be affected, and that's on him.  He doesn't actually need The Gas' - or anyone's - approval to call it what he wants.

I'd imagine in the (admittedly unlikely) event WotC decided it was worth their time to pursue the matter, he'd find out rather quickly he does need THEIR permission. :P

But anyway, am I misinterpreting something, or does the technician get to come into play for free, during any action window, AND heal one of your objectives?  Because that seems a little ridiculous.

I'd imagine in the (admittedly unlikely) event WotC decided it was worth their time to pursue the matter, he'd find out rather quickly he does need THEIR permission. :P

No, actually he doesn't need their permission. Given that the acronym is used by a number of other large, successful games as well as several other businesses that have nothing to do with gaming, I think we can safely assume that WotC doesn't have any sort of unique rights to the acronym, much less any that would override reasonable fair use.  At the absolute worst they could challenge trademark dilution (if it's even trademarked, which I doubt), but TCG is nowhere near unique enough to trigger that.

Star Wars Trading Card Game probably is, but they can't wall off an entire block of potential terms just because they happen to have the same acronym.

I'm guessing this has more to do with loyalty to the old WotC game than anything to do with actual legal understanding?

Can't look at spoilers, too busy watching someone be stupid.

That objective is going in my speeder deck when it finally comes out. They were given edge, now they are given balance

Rieekan is really, really good. Shielding combined with tactics makes for the perfect attacker to lure your opponent's best defenders. He can absorb both of Jabba's tactics icons and most of Palpatine's. His 3 health makes him safe from the damage of most dark side units in the game for at least one stike. The rest of the pod is perfect for sewing together the preexisting Hoth objectives into a whole new deck. I'm gonna try this...

2x The Hoth Gambit

2x Hoth Operations

2x Preparation For Battle

2x Sensors Are Placed

1x Echo Base Defense

1x Frozen Refuge

There are still plenty of speeders to make Hoth Operations worth it. The combination of that objective and Sensors Are Placed means this deck should have a much better chance in edge battles than the average Rebel deck. I expect Hoth Survival Gear to end up being one of my favourite cards in the build!

Edited by GongShowHost