Sign in to follow this  
Panacco

Any ETA on a release?

There are also some standard changeovers in the background when translating.

Eldar Dire Avengers, for example, are called "Hunters of Asuryan" rather than a direct translation. I don't know how much of their background, if any, varies from the english version.

Equally, certain other things change on the grounds of taste/legal restrictions. Grey Knight Paladins have a psychic power called "firestorm" because the other thing is not a word you use in a German language publication if you can avoid it.

There's usually a taster mission released for Free RPG day, so we can hope that'll be the same again - the follow-on download, Edge of Darkness, still stands as one of the best adventures FFG/BL have published.

I'm Curious; Why wouldn't you use that word in a German language publication? (Pardon my Ignorance!)

Edit: Sorry! Just figured out which power you were referring to! I thought you were talking about the term "Paladin".

Edited by Radwraith

Hehe. ^^

Yes, there were speculations in German forums, after the first rumours of this power appeared, how GW would be going to rename it.

But this:

Eldar Dire Avengers, for example, are called "Hunters of Asuryan" rather than a direct translation. I don't know how much of their background, if any, varies from the english version.

is at least in the TT not true any more since the current codex. Because the new flying unit is called something with “Hunter” they actually renamed the DA to “Avengers of Asuryan”.The old names have their origin in the early 90s, when the national studios had more independance and some guys came up with – to their opinion – better names, involving the Eldar gods instead of just some sounding cool. Which is a nice idea but somehow problematic if all aspect warriors are supposed to be aspects of only one single god, Khaine. ^^

Well, whatever.

Edited by Kuanor

Why, there is nothing exciting in there? ^^

Another news might be even more “awesome”: Since the new Guard codex they even stopped translating names at all. People guess it’s to ©-protect the names or something. In any case, it reads absolutely awful. You can get an impression on GWs website if you change the language.

Edited by Kuanor

Why, there is nothing exciting in there? ^^

A couple of the people I play with are significantly better at German than English, and for myself it'd be much-needed practice.

Another news might be even more “awesome”: Since the new Guard codex they even stopped translating names at all. People guess it’s to ©-protect the names or something. In any case, it reads absolutely awful. You can get an impression on GWs website if you change the language.

Trademark, more likely. Anyway, you're describing the experience of minor language gamers everywhere, and I'm honestly not sure it isn't an advantage. When all game mechanic terms are in a different language than the one you're using around the table, there's little possibility of miscommunication.

Well, it must have at least some advantage, I guess. ;)

Even so the different names are printed on the boxes anyway, and that your codices read hilarious if you let half of the terms in English. Of course, in an international community you would use them anyway, even with less embarrassing text in your books. And there are many more appropriate words for how these texts look like. :P

I think the funniest part about Eldar units in the German version is that they made up Eldar words for things that wouldn't have worked well in German. Hagun Zar for example is the German-version term for Witchblade.

On the topic of German language 40k, the German version of the 40k lore wiki Lexicanum often has more content than the English version. With Chrome's built-in auto-translate it's pretty easy to read. Great site if you need lore for your 40k games.

Has there been any information how long the digital version will lag behind the printed one ?

Tbh, I never really liked/understood a lag here at all. If anything, it should be available faster as a pdf than printed - something that already can be seen at other publishers (e.g. Shadowrun is very fast).

I wish I had a RPG group... dammit...

I'll still buy the book cause it's freaking looking amazing and everything 40K is always a great read.

Nad did I mentionned that the book is looking as good as an angel of doom sipping coffee?

(WTF does that mean lol)

I wish I had a RPG group... dammit...

I'll still buy the book cause it's freaking looking amazing and everything 40K is always a great read.

Nad did I mentionned that the book is looking as good as an angel of doom sipping coffee?

(WTF does that mean lol)

Come to http://roll20.net/ you'll find some groups. Every time I look there is some kind of 40k group looking for players.

Thats really a joke. Why does that take so long ? I could type it by hand in half the time.

The pdf should be released in the same time or even before the printed one (especially as I already paid half before when buying the beta)... *grml*