Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mndela

Epic Moments

85 posts in this topic

Uf, my english is limited but i think this is a good idea to post, and i hope i can explain it here: post epic moments.

This post is open for players that can display moments in his game that they could play good combos, good lucky, etc.

The only limitation i would add is games about minimum 3 players (becasue if not, you can repeat games easily until to reach the epic play you are thinking about to want to play).

Mmmmh, better one example. The example that it moves me finallly to open this post:

In 4 players, i was playing a caldara deck. In Fords of Isern, when we pass to 3a, and we added 4 more dunlendan enemies to staging. In that moment there was 10 enemies in staging, i had Damrod... :) and i used. -10 threat i got. But i used Caldara to return Damrod to play and i returned to use.

This is a epic moment: -20 threat by Damrod in only one round.

Edited by Mndela

Well i dont remember what guest i played with my friend, but situation was this: My friend had Aragorn with sword that was broken and myself had Faramir in play and when we guested i used Faramirs ability to give all my friends charecters 1wp and with that sword, only my friends will power was over 40! It was pretty cool XD

Oh and other was when i played into the pit: My starting hand had 1 gandalf and 2 sneak attacks, then when i guested i tougth that i dont need to use my gandalf sneak attack combo (i know i was so stupid) and then i got that sudden pitfall trachery card and my hero died! O_O

Pretty nice...then try again XD

I remember one game (believe it was Carrock) when I had the last troll and all of my hereos were either dead or exhausted and as the troll was going to attack and kill the last one a sneak attack gandalf did him in :) Gandalf saves the day just like the scene in the Hobbits!

Last games i have played a Gloin deck. 50 cards around to get tones of resources using Gloin's hability.

Well, one of the allies is Longbear Map-Maker. It is thought when i can't spend more resources, i have empty hand, etc.

M1179.png

And it is true, he is very powerful ally! I have won the 2 last games thanks to his hability. For example Foundations of Stone. First comment the cards that are good for him: Bifur (lore and can get one more resource for his hability); stewards on Bifur; 2 errand riders to change resources from Gloin to Bifur. Total 6 resources each round for increase the wp of Longbeard Map-Maker. And remember his first 1wp impressed, and +1 bonus by my 3rd hero: Dain.

1. I had tones of resources on Bifur first time i used, in 2b. We quested a lot and we needed 7 wp points to pass to 3a. No problem, i could spend them thanks to Map-Maker.

2. Alone in 3b, i could pass in the first round without problems thanks to him (i got a 11quest poinst card).

3. And finally when all friends return to join in 4a. Just was revealed a good location (and this is the better epic moment between so many here, lol): Mithril Lode

M1483.png

We win at the same round, we traveled here and i could use Longbeard Map-Maker in refresh phase (before was exhausted). I got thanks to Bifur, Stewards, etc., the enough willpower to trigger the text of the location and place 11 progress tokens on 4b, just to win the game. Lol, without arriving quest phase! Very very good because i never thought it. :)

Edited by Mndela

Had a pretty epic moment this morning... I was playing Redhorn Gate with the Hobbits With Attitude deck and ready to move to stage 3B.  Pippen already had a copy of Freezing Cold attached (-2 WP, hero can't quest, if a hero ever has two copies of freezing cold attached discard from play).  So I'm on stage 2B and I quest like heck with everyone, including a hard cast Gandalf.  I exhaust Faramir to give everyone a +1 WP boost (knowing that Caradharas is going to give a -1 WP, if a character ever has 0 WP discard from play).  I figure Pippen is a goner...

Reveal a second copy of Freezing Cold!  Attach to Pippen, discard from play.  But wait!  Return Landroval to my hand and put Pippen back in play with no Freezing Cold attached and 1 wound.  Games ends two turns later and Pippen shaken but not stirred.

Congratulations, i like to play Caldara here and i attach to her the Freezing Cold ^^.

PD: how did Pippin die?

AAAArrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

The first time I ever try to Landroval's ability and I eff it up.  So Pippen dies, but Arwen still makes it.

Mndela - Card 3b says to discard any character with WP of 0 or less.

Had a great morgul vale today. One deck threats out, 2 wounds on the nazgul and only tactics deck with 47threat and legolas and beorn and beregond. Hard cast gandlaf with my last 5. 3 wounds on nazgul. Figure with no questers have to go for broke here. He quests for 4(no questers otherwise) and I reveal Orc vanguard. Defend the nazgul with beregond and SOC and he goes to 4 wounds but kills beregond. Defend vanguard with chump but get shadow that raises threat by 2 to 49. Legolas kills the vanguard with a black arrow and beorn kills the nazgul just before refreshing to 50 threat.

So epic! Last possible play and beregond falls killing nazgul and legolas and beorn kill the board with gandalf arriving to save day.

ZanzibarLand likes this

Today me and one friend have played 2 nightmare quests: Anduin and Hunt for Gollum. We won both, even making higscore.

I played a Gondor leadership deck. Good deck: a lot of allies, cheap gondor allies (playing Imrahil), and a lot of quest points (playing Aragorn + Sword broken, visionary leadership)....

But the another player played a monosphere lore deck. Almost no allies, and the heroes were Pippin, Bifur and Mirlonde. But power control about the encounter deck....

The epic moment was:

Hunter of Gollum, in 2b, 4 tokens to explore the quest card. Agh! We placed 6 tokens... we need 4 more! Omg... we can't delay more time, nightmare cards are coming....lol.

Solution: the lore guy played Ravens of the mountain.

M1634.png

It was revealed the eagle, but this event doesnt 'look', so it was not engaged. Yeah! Oh, but.... we need 2 more progress tokens, ****! We must wait one more round in adittion.

But... no problem! Scroll of Isildur.... Ravens was recycled and... lets go! The next card (the deck is reshuffled) was a 2 threat card. We pass!

Really lore cards make the life in the middle-earth more more easy. :)

PD: the hero exhausted by Ravens was Pippin with 2 Fast Hitch

Edited by Mndela

Actually Ravens of the Mountain does instruct you to "look" at the card -- they errata'd the card a couple of FAQ versions below.  Doesn't look like this would affect your win though.

Old:

ravens-of-the-mountain.png

New:

M1634.png

I had an epic all-heroes-and-allies-dead-moment when I played against Assault on Osgiliath earlier today. I was stomped to death by 5 enemies: Uruk Soldier, Orc Arbalesters, two Southron Commanders and...wait for it...a Mumak! I got slaughtered during this combat phase. I usually fare very well against this quest as it can end rather quickly when you don't reveal too many Osgiliath locations. This time however, the enemies flooded out early and stomped me dead! 

I have had so many cool epic moments in my favor that I can't even remember a good one right now! :P

player1761766 likes this

I knew Ravens was errated, but i didnt know there was the 'look' word. But, as you say, it doesnt affect the win. Thanks anyway.

PD: Dunhill --> it is an epic fail ^^

Epic moments = my first real multiplayer game after around 1.5 years solo play. I know its not 'In game epic' but its still epic :D

In momet epicness... the first and only time I flew through return to mirkwood solo when it was still seen as near impossible... only time I ever bothered it solo :)

DurinIII likes this

Finally just beat The Watcher in the Water without killing the Watcher and by escaping through the doors of durin, heres what I put in my notes for the quest log:

Used the doors of durin successfully for the first time ever! A tentacle killed Elladan shortly after the watcher came out as I arrived at the second stage. This weakened Elrohir and put me in a bad position (still had a mountain warg harrasing me and very low resources on Elrohir to defend with as well as no steward on him..) so I tried the doors just for fun discarding 3 cards total one of which was Gildor Inglorion, the revealed encouter card? GRASPING TENTACLE! G and G! the doors of durin opened and the next turn I quested with everyone for a total of 15 willpower against 9 threat getting 6 progress and finishing the stage with the victory points from the doors and 6 progress tokens. Every other time I've beaten this quest I've killed the watcher, actually looked a bit grim and like it would possibly be a loss until the luck of the doors came through for once, awesome game!!!

chuckles and danpoage like this

Finally just beat The Watcher in the Water without killing the Watcher and by escaping through the doors of durin, heres what I put in my notes for the quest log:

Used the doors of durin successfully for the first time ever! A tentacle killed Elladan shortly after the watcher came out as I arrived at the second stage. This weakened Elrohir and put me in a bad position (still had a mountain warg harrasing me and very low resources on Elrohir to defend with as well as no steward on him..) so I tried the doors just for fun discarding 3 cards total one of which was Gildor Inglorion, the revealed encouter card? GRASPING TENTACLE! G and G! the doors of durin opened and the next turn I quested with everyone for a total of 15 willpower against 9 threat getting 6 progress and finishing the stage with the victory points from the doors and 6 progress tokens. Every other time I've beaten this quest I've killed the watcher, actually looked a bit grim and like it would possibly be a loss until the luck of the doors came through for once, awesome game!!!

I usually try to get past Doors Of Durin, but now i could try to beat watcher. It´s going to be epic :D

PsychoRocka likes this

Uah..., we have just won Dunland Trap in 4 players. Always someone does it, it is an epic moment. Ufff. We suffered a lot all the time. Boern first round defending gave us time to increase our power, Ravenhill Tracker + Northern Tracker (in 3b) explored some critical locations, Eleanor (no comments), Sneak-Gandalf-Book, Thor's Key, Elrohir + Parting Gifs + Miruvor..., Good Meal + Sam + Down Take you all discarding shadows the first round, Strengh of Arm ready all allies (Gandalf included ^^), Emery played for free, she defended a hard attack, she was recycled by dwarven tomb and returned to put in play attacking when heroes just needed only +1 attack to kill the enemy, Campfire tales in the correct moment without triggering bad forceds, wow... tones of epic plays.

Edited by Mndela
-nebur-, gandalfDK and danpoage like this

4-players
Encounter at Amon Din
Yesterday afternoon

After about 5 turns, I had some very bad luck and was out of the game. The other three players continued to struggle a bit, having way more dead villagers than rescued villagers for virtually the entire game. The three of them start to get close to winning, but then reveal that treachery card that adds +1 threat to each player for each dead villager...and there were 14 dead villagers...this would have sent two of the remaining three players out of the game. Luckily, one player has A Test of Will, and cancels that treachery...only to have the next card be the same thing! So, that put two players out of the game, and the remaining player dangerously close to being gone (48 threat). The next round ends up where there are 16 dead villagers and 16 rescued villagers, an active location with 1 villager that could be saved, and the only remaining player in the game at 49 threat. She sent every single bit of willpower in and we all crossed our fingers and it was EXACTLY enough, saving one villager and ending the game. 

That was one of the best games I have ever played. Three of the four players gone, only one villager that could be saved, with currently an equal amount of rescued and dead villagers, the only remaining player at 49 threat, and she quested with exactly enough willpower to finish off the active location and save that last villager. So epic.  

Edited by divinityofnumber

Some of my most epic games are ones that I have lost...

Escape from Dol Guldur, straight solo using 50-card decks built from Core set cards only

Heroes: Aragorn, Eowyn, Legolas

In this game, I went 28 rounds in Escape from Dol Guldur, waiting for the Shadow Key which got shuffled into the encounter deck by the Dungeon Jailor to reappear (and it did… when my threat was at 49 and claiming it would have put me over 50… reached 50 during the refresh phase anyway  :( ).

Legolas randomly selected as prisoner. Stage 2 reached by round 5. Legolas rescued by round 6. Ungoliant’s Spawn dead round 8. Shadow Key in discard pile (drawn as Shadow effect after shuffled into encounter deck by Dungeon Jailer). Legolas killed by hummerhorn round 16. Nazgul dead round 17. Game ended round 28, when threat reached 50 (engaged with Chieftain Ufthak, attacking at +13!). Shadow Key emerged from encounter deck on round 28, when threat at 49. 35+ tokens on stage 2, but could not proceed to stage 3 without Shadow Key. Killed Nazgul, Ungoliant’s Spawn, Dungeon Jailer x2, hummerhorn.

Escape from Dol Guldur, two-handed using 50-card decks from single Core set only

Heroes hand 1: Eowyn, Legolas, Denethor

Heroes hand 2: Aragorn, Theodred, Eleanor

The beginning and end of this quest felt like it came out of a fantasy horror movie… I could totally picture it in my mind, especially the final scene.

Eleanor randomly selected as prisoner (and Caught in a Web). Chieftain Ufthak in play round 1. Stage 2 and Eleanor rescued (by Legolas attack) round 5. Engaged with Nazgul, Ungoliant’s Spawn, and Dol Guldur Beastmaster round 6. Nazgul dead round 7. Ungoliant’s Spawn dead round 7. Encounter deck reshuffled round 8. Round 8: 6 heroes vs. Dungeon Jailor x2, Dol Guldur Beastmaster x2 and Cavern Guardian. Stage 3 round 10 (Planning phase). Ungoliant’s Spawn and King Spider revealed by encounter deck, Hummerhorns already in staging area (threat 40 both hands); all characters save Aragorn committed to quest/exhausted and quest fails by 1 due to Ungoliant’s Spawn’s “when revealed” power; Eowyn, Legolas, Denethor and Theodred die from undefended damage (enemies now also included Orc Guards vs. each side). End of same round (10), Aragorn dies from Shadow Key damage at end of round. Eleanor left with Citadel Guards x2, but threat exceeds 50 round 11 (and she is Caught in a Web and Iron Shackles is revealed by encounter deck and slapped on her (on first player deck).  So the prisoner was given false hope of rescue. As Eleanor and her rescuers made their final rush to escape the dungeons in stage 3, all of her hero-friends, allies and rescuers were killed (save for 2 Citadel Guards) at the last second, she got caught in a web and then was slapped into iron shackles then dragged back into the dungeons as her threat reached 50… it's as if the enemies had been playing with her mind all along… Sick, and memorable... 

Escape from Dol Guldur, straight solo using 50-card decks built from Core set cards only

Heroes: Aragorn, Eowyn, Denethor

Denethor randomly selected as prisoner. Threat down to 22 during round 3. Stage 2 round 6. Denethor rescued round 7. Eowyn and Nazgul dead round 9. Stage 3 round 15. Denethor killed by Hummerhorns round 16. Threat reached 50 end of round 16 (because of Under the Shadow treachery that raised my threat by 3!)… 6 progress tokens on stage 3, would have won next round!!! Felt victorious and totally crushed at the same time… epic game. 

PsychoRocka likes this

And now for a truly epic victory...

Escape from Dol Guldur, two-handed using 50-card decks built from single Core set only

Heroes hand 1: Eowyn, Legolas, Denethor

Heroes hand 2: Aragorn, Theodred, Eleanor

Eleanor randomly selected as prisoner. Legolas = Steward of Gondor on round 1. Beorn in play round 2, Celebrian’s Stone on Aragorn round 2. Stage 2 end of round 2. Eleanor rescued round 3, optionally engaged Nazgul. Beorn goes berserk, and he, Legolas, and Miner of the Iron Hills kill Nazgul in round 3. Cycled through encounter deck end of round 6. Beorn back in play round 7. Beorn goes berserk again and kills Ungoliant's Spawn in round 8. Nazgul returns round 11, preventing heroes from claiming 2 objectives and going to stage 3 for fear of damage/threat gain). Cycled through entire encounter deck a second time by round 11. Nazgul destroyed for second time in round 12. Stage 3 round 13 (Planning phase) - Galadhrim's Greetings had reduced each side's threat by 2 or would have exceeded 50 when claiming Shadow Key and Dungeon Torch; quested successfully to escape dungeons/win game. Legolas was Steward of Gondor this game. Last round, Denethor, Eowyn and Legolas engaged with/fled from Dungeon Jailor, Dol Guldur Beastmaster, Orc Guard; Aragorn, Theodred and Eleanor engaged with/fled from Dol Guldur Orcs, Cavern Guardian, Orc Guard). Took a lot of hits throughout game that were absorbed by Citadel Plate on Denethor and Aragorn; Denethor also had Dark Knowledge and Self-Preservation, Aragorn Unexpected Courage. Eowyn claimed Gandalf's Map and Dungeon Torch, Theodred claimed Shadow Key. One more round and would have lost game… totally epic victory! VP = Hummerhorns.  

Edited by TwiceBornh

not necessarily an epic moment as much as a really proud moment in my last game against To Catch An Orc.

I used to have a lot of trouble against this quest but in this game I had an awesome start with O Lorien and a few other awesome early cards (first time using O Lorien) and got a very good early footing against the encounter deck. Loaded up Haldir BIG TIME so that he could take out most enemies in staging and Legolas and various allies would clean up others. Loaded up Elrohir to be a super defender as well. Then I slightly broke the quest... for about 6 or so turns I was able to clear most of or all of the staging area and kill all enemies but couldn't trigger enough search effects to reveal Mugash... I had already taken out his guard coming out of the lore/spirit's out of play deck fairly early on the turn it was revealed after feinting it. I was able to get phenomal draws from the search keyword most turns and had two feints and two feigned voices throughout the game and two galadhon archers to bounce with them (one of the times I took out a tough enemy on one hitpoint left using this combo) as well as amazing cards with the spirit/lore deck such as two Galadriel's Handmaidens, two Northern Trackers, Gildors Counsel and others. I just could not get Mugash out but was easily able to place 6 to 10+ progress tokens on the quest stage each turn putting a new time counter on it bouncing it back and forth between 1 and 2 over these several turns.

Eventually by keeping a Mugash's Lair in play and exploring a last seventh copy of Mehadras in the game I was able to Search the last three cards in the tactics/leadership out of play deck and reveal Mugash at last!

I was able to smash his ugly orc face in immediately (with a point or two of damage to spare to boot!) and two of his orc cronies as well! I even had the time counters run out ONCE on stage 2 the turn before Mugash appeared but I regained control fairly easily (with help of Gandalf, Orophin and the ally he returned to my hand) when a copy of Take Cover! that I couldn't counter appeared and cleared many of my 1 hitpoint allies whilst several surges triggerred and I was unable to put progress tokens on the quest stage after losing alot of questing power from dead allies. I was able to clear enough locations with Asfaloth and kill all enemies that appeared on stage 3 that on the second turn and with only one time counter left I was able to risk a massive questing push of 32 and managed to put 15 counters straight on quest stage 3 (which already had one progress token) and quest to victory right before Mugash became unattached.

Felt pretty good (albeit slighty boring and frustrating) being able to easily crush the encounter deck and consistently place a time counter and clear the staging area over many turns before Mugash appeared buidling a massive army and many attachents in the process. I then crushed Mugash instantly and crushed stage 3 over two turns even after having stage two's nasty time effect trigger thanks to a badly timed Take Cover!. I did have luck on my side but my decks absolutely shined and by saving Orophin for a board wipe I knew would come at some point and various other combos/strategies I pulled off it was as much me as it was luck.

Definitely a very courage boosting game, back to trying to get a second win against Nin-In-Eilph (which I've been unable to do and found the quest much harder now since my first win) with my new changes to my decks.

May (fairly likely) just get smashed but at least this game was great! :P

I had a strange one, a few days ago. I was playing a solo game of "Khaz 3/3 - Flight from Moria".

Turn 0

• 27 Start Threat

• Draw 6
• Reveal 1st encounter card (1b)

• Chance Encounter (nothing in discard, gains surge)

• New Delivery (On stage 1, gains surge)

• Massing in the Deep (+1 Threat, Surge 1)

• 28 Threat

• A Foe from Beyond

Now this was hilarious. Stage 1b says..

"When Revealed: Reveal 1 encounter card per player, and add it to the staging area. THEN, add A Presence in the Dark to your victory display."

So, as this is all in the "reveal" step at the start of those instructions before the then, there was no victory points in my display so the Nameless Fear was still 0,0,0. So no damage.

• Add Presence in the Dark to Victory Pile

• Nameless Fear is now 2,2,2

• Quest for 4.

• Reveal 2b of quest card

• Narrow Paths, now I am questing for 2.

• Reveal Encounter Card

• Undisturbed Bones - No Allies no damage.

• 2 threat, 2 quest, no threat gain.

• Refresh (29 Threat)

Turn 1

• Quest for 4

• Flip to side 2b (Narrow Paths)

• Reveal Mountain Roots

• 3 threat, 4 Quest

• Place 1 Token on Quest card

• Fetch Abandoned tools and ADD it to the staging area (so guarded dose not trigger)

• Travel to Mountain Roots

• Tap Boromir to claim Abandoned Tools

• Bypass Quest

• Refresh (30 Threat)

Turn 2

• Cast The Galadhrim's Greeting -6 Threat. (Frodo 3-3=0)

• 24 Threat

• Cast Narvi's Belt (Gimli (3-2=1)

• Quest for 4

• Reveal 2b (Escape from Darkness)

• Reveal Stray Golbin (1,1,1)

• 3 Threat, 1 Travel, Questing for 4

• Tap Belt and pick Spirit

• Cast Bofur for 1 spirit and add 2 Quest power (Gloin 1-1=0)

• 4 Threat, 1 Travel, Questing for 6

• No threat gain

• Complete Mountain Road

• Engage Stray Goblin

• Deal Shadow Card

• Defend with Boromir

• Cast Swift Strike (Boromir 3-2=1)

• Stray Goblin Dies.

• Refresh Phase, Untap Boromir 4 times, +4 Threat, +4 tokens on quest card

• 28 Threat

• Escape From Darkness has 4 tokens...

• Game Over.

Turn 2, No Damage, No Dead Heroes, 28 Threat. == 48points.

WTF.

Strangest game ever. The real funny thing was drawing all those surges at the start and then the big evil Foe from Beyond one.. and it having no effect as the Nameless Fear at this time was 0,0,0. I have never once seen that before ever.

Maybe not epic.. but this was a quest to remember, a unique version of Escape From Moria I felt!

hehe

(Hope I got that down all correctly)

Edited by TragicTheBlathering