Sign in to follow this  
Naboooki

Dealing with Addiction.

From an Obligation standpoint, what have you found to work well for a spice addicted PC?

I want the value to fluctuate, depending on access to his drug of choice and his health.

Any ideas?

I assume that a player with an addiction has access to whatever drug it is he's addicted to, unless I roll his obligation. At that point, he's gotta go get his fix and right away.

As far as price goes, that depends on where the player may be. If he's on his "base" world, I give him a contact and all he really has to do is go pick up his stash. If he's off world, it's an underworld roll and I'll jack the price a bit. Now if my player wants to kick his habit to deal with his obligation... well I haven't dealt with that yet, so who knows how I'll handle it.

Unless triggered, Obligation costs are background costs. The addict pays for his fix, the family man sends credits back to his family, the indebted guy makes the minimum payments, the guy with a bounty on his head bribes people to forget they saw him, etc.

Be like any chemical dependancy I suppose, though I'm not certain on the potentacy of spice. Perusing wookieepedia I'd classify it as a hallucinogen drug, possibly of the psychedlic drug sub-catagory. Look up those for descripiton of effects and any dependacy issues. Game mechanics I'd go from adding a setback die to all skill checks to a straight up mental break down during an important moment (fire fight, break in, etc.) if he has been without a fix in a long time.

Mix things up with what an Obligation trigger means.

One time, it might mean that the character has an okay supply, but discovers it's impure or diluted and won't provide a high, and he must find a new source.

One time, his dealer might have gotten pinched and he needs to buy, so he must either bust out his dealer or find a new source.

One time, he might be pinched while trying to buy!

One time, it might manifest as continued drug use damaging his relationship with one of his connections, whether personal or professional - possibly irreparably. 

Whatever fits the plot, I say. It doesn't always have to be "Obligation triggers = jittery because he needs a fix." In fact I'd think that would get old for everyone fast. And Obligation can be so varied across the board, not just with Addiction.

The important thing is that an Addiction Obligation is no worse than any other Obligation. IRL taking drugs may be worse for you than dealing with debt or family issues (although if you're Honey Boo-Boo or a Kardashian...), it isn't in the game.

Mix things up with what an Obligation trigger means.

One time, it might mean that the character has an okay supply, but discovers it's impure or diluted and won't provide a high, and he must find a new source.

One time, his dealer might have gotten pinched and he needs to buy, so he must either bust out his dealer or find a new source.

One time, he might be pinched while trying to buy!

One time, it might manifest as continued drug use damaging his relationship with one of his connections, whether personal or professional - possibly irreparably. 

Whatever fits the plot, I say. It doesn't always have to be "Obligation triggers = jittery because he needs a fix." In fact I'd think that would get old for everyone fast. And Obligation can be so varied across the board, not just with Addiction.

This

If the PC doesn't explicitly state they're taking a hit in the course of 2-3 sessions, I'll have them suffer a setback from "withdrawl" symptoms. That usually refreshes their memory a bit, and could lead to an interesting side encounter if they don't have any readily available.

If the PC doesn't explicitly state they're taking a hit in the course of 2-3 sessions, I'll have them suffer a setback from "withdrawl" symptoms. That usually refreshes their memory a bit, and could lead to an interesting side encounter if they don't have any readily available.

I was thinking of something like that, yet I was wondering if I should add obligation at the end of each session without a fix. But there definitely needs to be more in game setbacks, you are right.

I was thinking of something like that, yet I was wondering if I should add obligation at the end of each session without a fix. But there definitely needs to be more in game setbacks, you are right.

Sure, you could absolutely add a few points to their Addiction Obligation if they don't get a fix during a session. A point or two would probably do. And the Core Rulebook actually mentions the setback dice in the Obligation grid on page 39, so there is some coverage in the rules for that approach.

I was thinking of something like that, yet I was wondering if I should add obligation at the end of each session without a fix.

To me, this doesn't hold up well compared to other Obligations. Addiction is the only Obligation where I frequently see suggestions for a (mostly arbitrary) slow increase.

I have a character that chose addiction, alcoholism, major problem for her character, her motivation, one of them anyway, is to travel space drinking every kind of alcohol out there. It's going to be fun to play with, any time it gets rolled up I'll just make sure her character gets the sudden urge to visit the local cantina and let the fun start from there. Poisoned, drugged, bar fights, I can imagine the fun that will ensue. 

I was thinking of something like that, yet I was wondering if I should add obligation at the end of each session without a fix.

To me, this doesn't hold up well compared to other Obligations. Addiction is the only Obligation where I frequently see suggestions for a (mostly arbitrary) slow increase.

Agreed, and it bears saying again that Addiction is not supposed to be more punishing than any other Obligation the character may have chosen.

Well, yes and no. Yes, it's the only Obligation where the rulebook says, "Hey, hit the player with some Setback dice if they don't address it regularly." But I think other Obligations lend themselves to slow increases as well... Longer outstanding Bounty? Tougher and more bounty hunters come a-callin'. Criminal on the run with a higher profile and/or more "crimes" being added to their resume? It gets harder to avoid the authorities (or even civilians turning them in).

For a different perspective, I've got a Droid PC who uses Addiction to represent being an obscure model and having to constantly scrounge for parts that match as his systems break down.  When his Obligation is triggered, Setback dice start piling up (representing programming glitches and random mechanical failures) until he finds some suitable replacements.  His emergency stash is a stockpile of potentially compatible parts, just in case.

Well, yes and no. Yes, it's the only Obligation where the rulebook says, "Hey, hit the player with some Setback dice if they don't address it regularly." But I think other Obligations lend themselves to slow increases as well... Longer outstanding Bounty? Tougher and more bounty hunters come a-callin'. 

This has actually been disputed. If you wreck face on some bounty hunters, whoever called a bounty is not necessarily going to suddenly offer more money for your head. Pro bounty hunters are all about the creds; if the money isn't good enough for the risk, they're not going to come for you, and if you send enough hunters home in body bags, others will have little incentive to risk their lives unless the payoff goes up/