Nickotine42

Would you buy card packs only?

So having just recently gotten into the game and trying to amass a fleet with ships all the way up to wave 3.5 available, I had a thought.  Would FFG ever release card packs for the various mods, EPT, etc?  They could be split into the Wave 1 EPT. Wave 1 mod, Wave 2 EPT, Wave 2 mod, etc.  Obviously the pilots wouldn't be of much use without the ships.  It would allow a new player like me who is trying to catch up to everyone the ability to legally play the cards without buying ships I have no intention of flying at the moment.  Yes, I'd like to fly a Lambda at some point, but I'm still working on tie formations and interceptors.  I think they could price them to be competitive with the current model/card format.  Also the production cost for card only packs would be very low in comparison of the current model/card format.  And perhaps it's limited to past expansions.  So when wave 5 comes out, the card packs for wave 4 are released.  I'm all for a great company making a great product to make as much money as they can.  And I really do feel like there is tremendous value in what the core and each expansion offers. I'll eventually buy an A-wing to give it a whirl, but don't want to buy 4 for PTLs. Thoughts?

Edited by Nickotine42

Well, I'd like ALL the upgrades, crew etc without needing to get the expansion that they came with.

Oh go on I'll throw in a big fat "Like This" because I like your idea. But I'm yet to start down the path of the X-Wing player so my opinion may not count here. As Manuel would say: "I know nothing"

It would be nice....but I doubt it will ever happen.  I have noticed that wave 4 has FCS on the Phantom so all the new Imperial players will not have to buy B-Wings to build their Buzzsaws.  It comes down to money.  FFG has made a good effort to spead the cards out the way they thought they should be, but have gone back and done the fore mentioned FCS coming with a Imp ship soon and all Imperial players were happy to see 2 copies of PtL in the Imperial Aces set...so no more A-Wings are needed!

I expect more "aces" packs when FFG wants to release new pilots and such. Imperial Aces, the Huge ships, and Rebel Aces all seem to point at that way being the go-to model.

I don't think I'd buy card packs, honestly. I'd just proxy for home games, though I'd have to buy the cards to use them in a tournament. The repaints are what draw me to purchase the aforementioned sets; I don't have the skill (or more importantly, the supplies) to paint like that myself.

I expect more "aces" packs when FFG wants to release new pilots and such. Imperial Aces, the Huge ships, and Rebel Aces all seem to point at that way being the go-to model.

I don't think I'd buy card packs, honestly. I'd just proxy for home games, though I'd have to buy the cards to use them in a tournament. The repaints are what draw me to purchase the aforementioned sets; I don't have the skill (or more importantly, the supplies) to paint like that myself.

Exactly!  The Aces sets are a very good deal....just didn't want to have to buy 6 Rebel Aces.....dang Chardaan Refit!

No, because as a compulsive collector of things I don't need, I just can't have too many ships. The more in my X-Wing collection the happier I am. I only started at Christmas and I'm addicted already and if I have an excuse to add more miniatures just to get a certain card......here take my money :D

No, because as a compulsive collector of things I don't need, I just can't have too many ships. The more in my X-Wing collection the happier I am. I only started at Christmas and I'm addicted already and if I have an excuse to add more miniatures just to get a certain card......here take my money :D

Again exactly.  I am the same way, see signature, if I am going to get cards I want a pretty ship with them!

I only started at Christmas and I'm addicted already and if I have an excuse to add more miniatures just to get a certain card......here take my money :D

I could say that I was addicted a few weeks before Christmas but my wife wouldnt let me get the core set before so I had to wait, and now I have at least one of every ship except the Shuttle(which is next on the list)....

But, I think FFG would make card packs, it would be kind of hard to do in my mind. Just trying to figure out which cards to put in a package... Some cards are much more popular than others, some more/less useful, how would they package them? TCG style where its all random, then you dont know what you'd get at all.... Any way you do it people are going to  end up with lots of cards they dont need/want... 

I'd much rather have ships to go along with all the cards I have. I dont have a problem getting both sides either.

This idea has been around since at least Wave 2. I support it, but I don't believe it will happen, because if they wanted to do it, I think they already would have. Don't get your hopes up.

Exactly!  The Aces sets are a very good deal....just didn't want to have to buy 6 Rebel Aces.....dang Chardaan Refit!

It does appear to come with 3 refits per ace pack, so that's actually a pretty good deal if you already have 5 A wings

Providing they're reasonably priced, I'd certainly consider card only packs.

As well as the option of getting upgrade cards more cheaply than buying ships, I also think that this could be a good method to bring in extra pilot cards for already released ships.

Nope, don't want to see it.  Their current sales method ensures that stock gets turned over more readily.  Good stock turnover ensures good profits and further cash to develop the game.  And at the end of the day, I have no problem with eventually buying at least three of every ship in the long run.

Edited by Eltnot

If they ever did they would make them part of their "Print to Order" stuff.....which takes along time to get and has to be special ordered.  For what people pay on eBay for cards they could go here http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ or here http://www.coolstuffinc.com/ and get a whole ship, small ships $10 or large ships $20, that if somewhere down the road they want to try playing it they can...instead of just getting cards.

I mean look at eBay prices on just cards......pilots go for around $2 to $5 each which a ship comes with a minimum of 4-5 and upgrades go for $5-$10 each depending on which ones....if you paid $10 for an upgrade card to avoid buying a $10 ship from one of the places above I don't see why!

I would buy those. And it is a great oportunity to release empty ships and pilots like attack wing, so I could make Biggs fly the Millenium Falcon, or even a Luke Single Card with the pilot and crew texts so you could use him either as a pilot or as part of a crew... I would buy boosters just for colection purposes... :P  

Nope, don't want to see it.  Their current sales method ensures that stock gets turned over more readily.  Good stock turnover ensures good profits and further cash to develop the game.  And at the end of the day, I have no problem with eventually buying at least three of every ship in the long run.

I don't buy this at all. Given that the ships are £12 and they could easily sell a pack of cards for £10 (1 of each from the wave for example) the profit margins must be higher.

People are buying the ships en-mass and selling the individual bits on e-bay and making a profit from it, which is stopping consumers who just want to buy an expansion from getting hold of one.  

How many sales of the A-Wing and Shuttle do you think FFG would make then?  I'd wager it wouldn't be many, which would lead to reprint runs of these ships being few and far between.  And after that occurs it becomes a downward spiral where new players entering the game are struggling to get the physical ships to play with because the reprint runs have become so stretched out.  This leads to fewer players joining the game because it becomes hard to buy the models and therefore it begins its slow decline in popularity.

Still want those booster card packs?

Edited by Eltnot

Yes i would buy packs. Simply put cards have a way of getting damaged or misplaced. I would very much like to have a couple extra of each one without having to buy a new ship or buying off ebay.

Shoot if they even did a magic style 2.50 for 5 cards with alt art work I would buy some.

Edited by Cubanboy

They will never release empty ships...I love how STAW, which is about to break it's Camel, Wizkids, back because it is declining in sales and failing, game mechanics keep being brought up as ideas fo X-Wing.  They fact that in STAW you can have Kirk on the 1701D is so....so....stupid!

I would definitely buy card packs.  IMO it would be an especially good way to get more pilots for some of the ships that only have the 2-3 uniques that came with their expansion.

Perhaps even a card pack + advanced rule book combo if they ever decide to release a revised rulebook/FAQ

Card expansions are a nice idea. Not likely to happen. Patience on certain upgrades will pay off. Do you know how many Imperial players lost out when they went after the A-wing for Push the Limit. Or how many people who bought Lambdas are now banging their head? I don't mind how they do the current releases. And I do actually really love the repaints we are getting, so I hope they continue that (waiting patiently for a green X-wing).