Sign in to follow this  
djext1

Our attempt a GMless Edge game

So we decided to try a themed GMless Edge game for fun, and to see how it would play out.  We decided that there needed to be at least a little bit of structure in the collaborative process, and I narrowed it down to only 3 things. 

1. Scene controller - This person sets the initial scene and setting, as well as pushing the scene along during the game.
  2. The troublemaker - The troublemaker finds spots that may need some conflict or problem to be solved or dealt with throughout the game.
  3. NPC/Combat facilitator - This person hands out the NPC roles to players as needed, as well as playing the part of the adversary during combat.

We determined this by having each player roll 3 green dice and assigning slot 1-3 from highest on down.  Now, some other mechanics might need ironed out a bit, but this seemed to cover the bases pretty well.  We decided on the theme of junkie Bith rockers who happen to be FR3 with no moral compass whatsoever.  Again, this was for fun and the intention was just to cut loose and have ridiculous things play out.  So with zero prep other than character creation and concept....we ran the first one. 

Bith Sith: Galaxy of Vengeance

We had a lot of fun playing it and really can't wait to do more episodes.  I know this isn't groundbreaking or anything, as there are a lot of GMless games out there that do this 10x better, but none of us have played any of them, and just pretty much winged it.  

Let us know what you think, or if you have any ideas or suggestions we'd love to hear them.  This is all new ground for us but we quickly latched on to the GMless thing and like it.

It has been an aim of mine for a long time to build/collaborate on a sandbox system without a GM.  More accurately, I was aiming to structure a game by dividing the GM duties to the players while setting up a self-generating plot through tables.  The aim is to not have it sound chaotic and disjointed (or down right ridiculous), but to form a solid narrative and have the players facilitate the mechanics.

I'd be interested to hear more about how this goes for you.

I think you could definitely do it!  Ours was certainly more freeform and collaborative, but using the same structure of job tasks within the game, you could have a pretty solid game in the way you describe.  We were doing it just for pure fun, but I think a group could do a more serious toned game using it.  One method you may find helpful would be the Mythic GM Emulator.  We decided not to use it as our Bith Sith game is, well..quite ridiculous and just one or two scene based.  Something else you could do, would be to world build a bit using some of the methods of a game like Microscope to set your foundation, then use mythic or your own plot tables (index cards come to mind) to facilitate a more structured random gameplay.  I've heard of methods using a deck of playing cards that are assigned certain plot hooks, encounters, problems, etc...  Maybe think about making something like that.

All in all, this is a great system to play GMless in.  It's a different kind of game to be sure, but it is a lot of fun if you have the group for it.  The biggest thing, is that players must come to the table with the understanding that everyone must contribute for it to work.  As long as you have a group like that, you're good!  I'd say take the structure I have above, make some pregens, come up with a short, basic concept or theme and just run it.  See how it goes.  See what you like or don't like, or what you want to add or take away.  Just have fun, and you'll know whether or not it's for you!