Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZombieHedgehog

Recon X-Wing, another, slightly different thread!

23 posts in this topic

Finally found some time to post some photos.

I received an enquiry about a custom miniature very different from what I normally build. I was sent this image if the recon variant of the X-Wing:

photo_zps569ccaa6.jpg

I really liked the look of the ship so was really happy to take on this commission. I was also sent more images of different variants and we discussed trying to mix these ideas together to create something unique.

I had the idea of closing the wings and changing the engines as well as the nose. I thought that a recon x would be more about flying than fighting so better engines would be helpful. I also thought the closed wings would makeover it noticeably different straight away when looking at it on a gaming table.

So I cut off the wings and stuck them together. I decided to work on them desperately until I got the main structure of the engines finished then I would stick them on the the ship to finish the detailing.

When I took on the commission I seemed to manage to forget how small the fighter ships are so when I first started work on the ship it wasn't the easiest to works on but over time the work gas gotten a lot easier and faster.

photo1_zps797973be.jpg

I filed away two small sections of the existing nose sensor array and started adding small pieces of Plasticard rod, this was very fiddly work, especially when I glue a slightly wider piece of rod the the end of the piece connected to the body. The dish on top is a piece of Plasticard rod filed off at one end then cut to length. I superglued a Plasticard bracket to the ship then was able to use plastic glue to fix the dish,this allowed for slight repos pit ionic while I was happy.

I began o build on the engines, I thought chunkier engines would look cool so I removed this exhaust off the back on the engines and added a piece of Plasticard which tubing would fit over.

photo2_zpsc9aa650c.jpg

I've been building up the engines with more tubing. I just need to fill gaps with putty then add some small panels for detail. I have made more progress but by phone ran out of battery late last night when I was about to take photos. I should be able to posts some more photos later on today.

photo4_zps43054669.jpg

LeoHowler, Dagonet, TomRK and 1 other like this

Woah, what a weird X-Wing! It's a cool variant though, so good luck to you. :3

I'm pretty impressed... wish I could work to such a degree of efficiency. I sure could use your skills on some of my current models. Actually, I have a question for you: what's the best way to bend these models into ideal shapes? Some of the guns on my ships are a bit wonky (I'm looking at you, 3rd X-Wing I purchased!)

On my miniatures I have gently bent x-wing lasers back in to shape but I would say that's a bit risky. Probably the best method to bend something back in to shape would be to heat the section you would like to reshape, dipping the part in warm water, gradually heating it up, just checking the movement within the piece then hold it in the new position until the piece cools.

I believe old water would help with the cooling process but I'm not 100% on how this would affect the miniature over it cool naturally.

Looks great!

Are you planning to add those sensor bulbs on the end of the rods as well?

I've no modelling skills whatsoever so I have no idea how finnicky that would be.

Quick update:

photo_zpsdf4d9746.jpg

Looks great!

Are you planning to add those sensor bulbs on the end of the rods as well?

I've no modelling skills whatsoever so I have no idea how finnicky that would be.

Trying work out exactly how to do it. I've added slightly thicker rod to the ends. Hoping to build on these slightly, just need to be careful so not to break the rods.

I've added a little detail with Plasticard and will be sculpting the rest. I've cut of the ends off of the x-wing engines and added them to the ends of the modded engines

Going to put on the trailing antenae behind the wings of the snoopscoot as well?

http://rebelscale.com/customs/empire_era/xwing_recon.html

Something else I need to think about as they are really thin, I don't want to use thicker plastic rod and it look out of place.

I like this ship, it is pretty cool.

So what would be the stat line? I would say 2-2-3-2 with an astro and system upgrade, F/E/Boost/Self-destruct actions?

I guess just fielded as an Xwing, but astro and system does sound good.

According to Wookieepedia, the sensors were put in the torpedo tube slots and the cannons had reduced power, which is why I said as I did above (and why there is no TL). It was also pretty fast, which is my rationale for Boost/Evade. All of them were equipped with self-destruct devices too, which would make an interesting new action.

All good ideas,but not everyone wants to play custom rules.

What do you reckon for self destruct? A range 1 instant damage at the cost of removing the ship?

That's what I would say for a Self-Destruct; maybe instant damage and a red dice roll, on a hit the damage bypasses shields, otherwise it also receives a stress token.

And yes, I know that not everyone would want to play custom rules; however, I don't think this ship would be tourney legal, so it would just be for friendly games. It is just that when I looked at it I said: "oh this ship would be awesome for my campaign."

LeoHowler likes this

An easy way to add the bulbs at the tips of the nose sensors is to just dip them in superglue. Wait till dry and maybe do again.

For the antennae guitar wire could work and be suitably thin, also durable.

I like the engines now that you've put the regular exhausts at the ends.

ZombieHedgehog likes this

I have to confess, I wasn't sold on this one when I saw your first post on it.  Boy was I wrong!  This came out fantastic.

Are you going to make a unique Recon X-wing card for it?

An X-Wing with a systems upgrade and boost could be fun. Maybe remove the Torp upgrade.

Are you going to make a unique Recon X-wing card for it?

An X-Wing with a systems upgrade and boost could be fun. Maybe remove the Torp upgrade.

Yeah, my idea was as follows:

2-2-3-2 with Focus/Evade/Boost/Self-destruct (turns you into a bomb), with an Astromech and Systems Upgrade slot.

I wouldn't change its stats from the standard X-wing. All I would do is take the Torp slot away and replace it with system upgrade and give it a boost action. Self-destruct doesn't make too much sense to me. What would it do damage wise?

If you were to give it a specific action I would give it something like: Communication Relay

Action: Increase the range by 1 of any a single friendly pilot ability or upgrade ability to a maximum of three until the end phase.

As an example it would boosts Swarm Tactics range to 2. Point wise, I dunno maybe 25 points for a PS 2 pilot?

Edited by Jo Jo