Sign in to follow this  
mrfroggies

X-Wing Galactic Cup Registration

Welcome to the X-Wing Galactic Cup.  I'm hoping to make this an annual event and to bring players from all over the world together to play this great game that we all love.  This event will run differently then the standard FFG rules, and will instead be run more like the World Cup.  Players will be sorted into Divisions based on their Time Zones to make scheduling games easier.  I will try to limit players being matched up against other players who they normally play against at their LGS.  This will be best effort on my part, and I will try to accommodate this as best I can.  Divisions will play Round Robin and the top 2 players from each division will move on.  I may have to adjust this based on player turn out.  I will go into this more after registration ends.   I plan on playing in this event so I have a CO Tournament Organizer, Robert McCowen aka VorbalSword, and Serkan AKA Iceface who runs a league over at Mos Eisley.  I will post the complete division schedule once registration is completed.  Registration ends April 27th at Midnight Pacific time.

Vassal Version:

The tournament will be run using Vassal version 3.2.11 with the X-Wing module 5.0.5.  If you are familiar with vassal and have this installed you can skip down to the next part.  For those of you who are new to this, here's a basic walk through on how to get started.

1) Make a folder called Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game-5.0.5_ext  (Put this in a easy location for you to remember.)
2) Down load these files into the folder you just made.  Go here for the files and Down load the files listed below into the folder you just made.

• Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game-5.0.5.vmod
  • Gabriel's_Map_Pack_-5.0.0.vmdx
  • Crazy_Toms_Playmats_-5.0.0.vmdx
  • Yagyu's_Map_Pack_-5.0.0.vmdx

3) Down load the main Vassal client 3.2.11 from here.
4) Launch the Vassal Client
5) On the client goto File -> Open Module...
6) Navigate to the folder you created and select Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game-5.0.5.vmod

This will get you through the first part.

Here's a youtube video that will walk you through the UI for vassal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6-fSDxzG4 It's a little out of date, but close enough.  If you need any help please let me know and I would be happy to assist in any way I can.

New Tournament Rules and FAQ

On 4/15 FFG posted new Tournament and FAQ rules.  I will be using the new rules for this event.  I thought I would explain the details of how this might change things for you.  The big change for this tournament is listed in the Squad Deployment Procedure #4.  The simple version is this, the player who wins initiative gets to choose who has initiative.  This might change how you build your squads.  Sense this is an alternate formate much of the other rules won't apply here.  Games will be played until completion so there will be no modified wins.  The division play is round robin so there won't be seeding like swiss.  I will also be using the new rules in the FAQ.  If you have already sent me your squads and you want to change things, feel free to send me your new squad(s).

Squad Building

For this event you will need to build 2 standard 100 point squads.  Squads will be limited to Wave 1 - 3 and Imperial Aces.  The new X-Wing pilots in the Transport are not legal nor are any of the extra's ships and cards from wave 4.  You may play either faction or 1 of each.  For example you could run an Elite swarm and Biggs walks the Dogs.  You could build to counter the Meta, or try something crazy to surprise people.  If one of your lists just isn't working for you, you now have something to fall back on.  A second list opens up some options for you, and can keep your opponents guessing on what you might pick.

Registration Process

1. Register an account at Team Covenant
  2. Create 2 Squads Void State Squad builder or any other squad building tools as long as you can save them and link back to them.
  3. Email me (mrfroggies@gmail.com) the following information: ( Your Name, Country, City,  Time Zone, your Teamcovenant user name, and links to both your squads.)
  4. Down load vassal version (3.2.11) and the x-wing module 5.0.5 ( links are above )
  5. Optional - You can also let me know of other players in the tournament who you play locally. If you could give me either their name or their TC account name that would be great.
  6. Optional - Please let me know if your new to Vassal and you need any help.  I've taught lots of players, and I know a lot of other people in the community who can help out.

Prize Support

There will be prize support for this event but it will be based on a stretch goal system.  The more players that register, play and finish the division play, the larger the prize pool will be.  For those players who don't make the top cut but play all their games, I will start a spin off tournament called the Redemption league.  This will give you a second chance to keep playing and win prizes as well.

• 10-20 competitors - $15 store credit + custom profile badge for winner
  • 21-40 competitors - $30 store credit + custom profile badge for winner
  • 41-80 competitors - $60 store credit + custom profile badge for winner
  • 81-120 competitors - $120 store credit + custom profile badge for winner
  • 120+ competitors - $150 store credit + custom templates + custom profile badge for winner

Let the Registration begin!

I hope all of you who signed up for the last event join in once again, and for those of you who found out just a little bit to late, I look forward to seeing you play this time around.  If you know people who are interested, I encourage you to invite them.  Just to remind you, Registration ends April 27th at Midnight Pacific time.  Good luck and Fly Casual.

Edited by mrfroggies

So... besides "vassal" and "Divisions" how will the games be setup?

Do we have to play one game a week, one game a day?  Multiple games within the division?  

You will play against everyone in your division, and 1 game a week.  The division size will be based on player turn out, but I expect to see over 120 players for this event.  This should be one of the largest x-wing tournaments this year.

I'm gonna try to do it, it'll be my first tourny and my work schedule might screw it up, but i'm hoping it'll work haha

haven't even gotten my mini's in the mail yet though haha

so this will be a good bit of practice in haha

Edited by muirman

I would like to ask for some assistance from the experienced vassal players here. I’ve received several emails from new players who want to be part of this but don’t know vassal. I’m helping a few but I know I won’t be able to help all of them. If you can post something here that your available to help new players out that would be fantastic. 

I'm interested but I'm working on learning vassal before i register. That and squad building.

I'm in the same boat.  Any tips for a Mac user?  This sounds fantastic.  

Thought...isn't there something surreal about playing a board game on the computer.  I quit playing video games to play board games only to realize I need to play them on a computer.  Oh my...

Edited by Nickotine42

I'm interested but I'm working on learning vassal before i register. That and squad building.

There's some tutorials out there that will help.  I'm also available to help teach players.  I've been trying to gather some experienced vassal players to help new players get started.  The X-wing Vassal game has come a long way sense the beginning which will help a lot with the learning curve.

Squad Building

For this event you will need to build 2 standard 100 point squads.  Squads will be limited to Wave 1 - 3 and Imperial Aces.  The new X-Wing pilots in the Transport are not legal nor are any of the extra's ships and cards from wave 4.  You may play either faction or 1 of each.  For example you could run an Elite swarm and Biggs walks the Dogs.  You could build to counter the Meta, or try something crazy to surprise people.  If one of your lists just isn't working for you, you now have something to fall back on.  A second list opens up some options for you, and can keep your opponents guessing on what you might pick.

Interesting concept. Have you thought about how to make the squad reveal "fair", so one player doesn't know the other's squad first, and choose the counter-squad appropriately?

Either way, could make for some interesting squad combinations. For example you could have one squad of elite interceptors, and then something like Biggs walks the Dogs, or a swarm in case your opponent has a turret list.