Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TUZ

Krassis Trelix - Re-paint

22 posts in this topic

These are amazing.

You are the one who did these correct?

Any tips for someone who has literally never painted a mini before? I have been really wanting to try but my wife is terrified I will muck it up and ruin a ship.

Edited by BahnCalamari

Cheers fellas  :)

@ BahnCalamari - You can find tutorials for painting Krassis, Kath Scarlet and number of other X-Wing minis over at my blog:  Hobby Before I Die!

Best starting advise I can give would be to test your painting skills on some models you don't mind making mistakes on. Maybe some old GW marines or even some old plastic toys and figures? The model itself can be anything really - what you're aiming to do is get confident laying down paints and achieving a smooth finish (use good brushes and add a smidge of water to the mix / use a wet pallet).

I'd also recommend aiming to get good at solid block coloring before worrying too much about highlighting. Use GW foundation paints (or similar) to start with as their high pigment content means they are much more forgiving to use and may help provide a better finish for the beginner. Once you've get this nailed, you can apply basic washes to add shading and depth to your minis. Black ink is the default way to go and will start getting your X-Wing repaints looking like the FFG factory finish versions.

Hope this helps. Cheers TUZ.

LordCole and BahnCalamari like this

Cheers fellas  :)

@ BahnCalamari - You can find tutorials for painting Krassis, Kath Scarlet and number of other X-Wing minis over at my blog:  Hobby Before I Die!

Best starting advise I can give would be to test your painting skills on some models you don't mind making mistakes on. Maybe some old GW marines or even some old plastic toys and figures? The model itself can be anything really - what you're aiming to do is get confident laying down paints and achieving a smooth finish (use good brushes and add a smidge of water to the mix / use a wet pallet).

I'd also recommend aiming to get good at solid block coloring before worrying too much about highlighting. Use GW foundation paints (or similar) to start with as their high pigment content means they are much more forgiving to use and may help provide a better finish for the beginner. Once you've get this nailed, you can apply basic washes to add shading and depth to your minis. Black ink is the default way to go and will start getting your X-Wing repaints looking like the FFG factory finish versions.

Hope this helps. Cheers TUZ.

Best advice right here ^.

Also, a dollar store is the best place to start, use generic transformers and little army men, they work great for learning to paint and laying wash.

TUZ likes this

I started practicing my painting with just a TIE Fighter, turning the black solar panels more black and the edges red. It will be a measure of how steady your hands are, will help with your hand/eye co-ordination, and you'll start to learn how the paints and brushes feel. I use Games Workshop paints as well, and I highly suggest you only use tiny drops of paint on a slightly wet brush. Since the paint is concentrated it will go a remarkably long way.

@ the OP: you did a nice job on Krassis! Most people are always like "he's boring. I don't want to paint that!" but you managed to make him look great, dynamic even. It's somehow both sleek and rough, if that's even possible. Kudos. :3

TUZ likes this

Cheers @ TheRealStarkiller - A green Slave I would look pretty neat. Maybe more muted olive greens / tans would work well?

I really like the colour palette on Slave IV:

Jasterslegacy_negvv.jpg

Cheers @ TheRealStarkiller - A green Slave I would look pretty neat. Maybe more muted olive greens / tans would work well?

I really like the colour palette on Slave IV:

Jasterslegacy_negvv.jpg

Thats a nice colour palette.

I wonder what colours the original Slave 1 had .... I already searched for pictures of the original model.

I had no success. 'Our' Slave 1 is grey only ... so I ask myself: Why? Shouldn't it be greenish like Fett's body armour?

Edited by TheRealStarkiller
TUZ likes this

Thanks all for the great comments fellas.

@ Goregrimm - I've thought about doing X-Wing commissions long and hard over the last year or so. I got a lot of requests in off the back of my YT-1300

20130622_185722.jpg

20130622_185459.jpg

In reality, the day job and 3 young kids make it stretch too far at the moment  :blink: . Flattering to be asked none the less, thank you. :) 

LordCole and Boomer_J like this

Thanks all for the great comments fellas.

@ Goregrimm - I've thought about doing X-Wing commissions long and hard over the last year or so. I got a lot of requests in off the back of my YT-1300

20130622_185722.jpg

20130622_185459.jpg

In reality, the day job and 3 young kids make it stretch too far at the moment  :blink: . Flattering to be asked none the less, thank you. :) 

Oh... YT-1300 repaints are the best.

TUZ likes this

...That Kath is -spot on- to the material I've seen recently that gives a... Very good look, at her ship. To say the very least.

But this Krassis is awesome. I like it.

TUZ likes this

.That Kath is -spot on- to the material I've seen recently that gives a... Very good look, at her ship. To say the very least.

Insider information? 

Eeeeeeeeeever so slightly. Don't worry I'm hardly special. A few other thousand- if not hundred thousand know as well. I'll say more when the time comes.

But seriously. Nailed it.

TUZ likes this