Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LukesFather

Awing repaints

13 posts in this topic

Got bored today and went on a painting spree, some touchup but the big work went into 2 awings.  One is modeled after a picture I found of a refurbed P-51 Mustang (the blue one) and the other is a Green (finally have an actual green Awing!) with a scheme I found online of different ideas for a paint job.  I like how it turned out.  though I might just repaint my last Awing with the grey I have, I liked the basic look.

b4gmet.jpg

df83s9.jpg

I don't particularly like the yellow on the yellow and blue one... maybe it's just the type of paint i dunno... but overall very nice work.

How did you get such clean lines on the Green Squad? I'm very curious. :3

Also, the yellow looks a touch bit splotchy due to the thinness of it, so I suggest maybe doing a quick brushing with just a little bit of water to even out the coat? It's worked for me.

I like them both.

One thing I would say is give them both a wash to emphasize the texture on the spots you painted, and give it the "Rebels don't have unlimited funds to keep producing a million ships" feel. 

+10 for picking paint jobs that aren't necessarily cannon, but would still easily fit in Star Wars.

Leo - lines= luck. I followed the lines on the ship, so that helped. The top little line I wanted thinner, but it grew in size as I did it. Also the line was hard to get behind the cockpit buy the tail wing. I used a little white to cover it. I also used a toothpick with paint on it for a hard edge to draw some lines. For that yellow, I may buy a new yellow, I don't know, I think I did a water wash with it but maybe not on the final.

Hoos - I have given dirty washs to others, but I may keep these cleaner, after all not a lot of people shoot at them that much, and they are so fast that they don't get dirty:)

Hoosteen and LeoHowler like this

Both are good.

Like the stripes on the green one, but my favourite is the blue and yellow. Not a fan of yellow, but you've put just the right amount there compared with the blue. Any more, or less, and it would look bad.

LukesFather likes this

If you do a search for P51 Mustang Obsession you will find the inspiration for the blue Awing.  Obsession is the name of the plane.  In the orginal thoughts for the paint job, I was going to do black and white on the panels on the sides that are currently unpainted. Still might, will have to see

TomRK likes this

I like the green one, but the green is a little matt and removes some details. Perhaps a black "wash" like GW sells applied to the cracks could bring out the details the paint removed would help? Just a friendly idea.

LukesFather likes this