Sign in to follow this  
akenatum

Draw their fire and ion weapons... Single crit roll

Its true you can choose in what order to do multiple events that trigger at the same time.

If you have FCS and Vader, after an attack you can choose either Vader or FCS it doesn't matter in what order you go.

However, there are no instances in the rules where you can save things for later.

So if you are attacking and you finish your attack chose not to use Vader, instead use gunner the FAQ is clear you can only activate Vader once after gunner not twice.

Q: If a ship attacks twice through some effect, such as the Gunner upgrade, can the ship use the ability of Darth Vader (the Upgrade card) twice? A: Yes, once after each attack

So this gives a precedent that, WHEN multiple events trigger and they resolve they alter the gamestate they find at the moment they resolve, not what the gamestate was when they "went off"

So if DTF triggers first by the time it gets resolved the Ion Cannon has changed the gamestate. There is no critical hit to resolve.

If Ion triggers first then there is no trigger to activate DTF.

As per when you would resolve DTF if their was a critical hit, my personal opinion would be please let it be after I have cancelled all the hits and crits on the defender so I can be sure I want to/need to use DTF.

So if DTF triggers first ...

It does not. Ion and DTF trigger at the same time. And they are resolved in order of initiative.

... by the time it gets resolved the Ion Cannon has changed the gamestate. There is no critical hit to resolve.

If Ion triggers first then there is no trigger to activate DTF.

If ion resolves first (attacker has initative) there is nothing for DTF to do. It did trigger, though.

Nobody is suggesting the effect of DTF is "saved for later".  The question is whether it causes the result to resolve immediately, or merely changes the target of that result when it resolves naturally.  Either are reasonable readings.

DTF says you may suffer one of the un cancelled critical hit results.

Step seven is the ony step that deals with un cancelled results.

During this step, hit ships suffer damage based upon uncanceled and results

Ships can suffer damage from different sources, such as being hit during combat or by an effect or card ability. Damage cards track how much damage each ship has suffered and are used to determine if the ship has been destroyed (see “Destroying Ships”). When a ship suffers damage or critical damage, it suffers them one at a time following these steps. The ship must suffer all normal damage before suffering any critical damage.

Edited by Bazinga

What does that even mean??

There's no ordering on who does what when you resolve damage.  It's just damage.  There aren't any effects inherent to it that require order, so I have no idea why you're quoting damage and destruction.

The order to resolve Ion Cannon and DTF is clear - they have the same trigger (being hit) which occurs during Compare Results.  They'll go off depending on initiative order.  Each does its thing when it resolves.

I honestly have no idea what you're even trying to say.

What does that even mean??

There's no ordering on who does what when you resolve damage. It's just damage. There aren't any effects inherent to it that require order, so I have no idea why you're quoting damage and destruction.

The order to resolve Ion Cannon and DTF is clear - they have the same trigger (being hit) which occurs during Compare Results. They'll go off depending on initiative order. Each does its thing when it resolves.

I honestly have no idea what you're even trying to say.

I don't know what your trying to say

Didn't you spend nine pages in an argument about vader (the up grade card) saying

"Here's what we know about how damage is resolved:- Damage is dealt one at a time- When damage meets or exceeds the hull value, the ship is removed immediately- Abilities and rule checks can and do activate between each damage card being dealt"

And haven't you since claimed FFG got vader wrong and it should be played your way?

which given your quote above I can only take it as your decided vader works FFG's way.

All im saying is as hits have to be cancelled before critical hits and im allowed to resolve damage any way I want to, id resolve the ship that was attacked first except for last critica hit then resolve the damage on the ship using DTF

Edited by Bazinga

"Here's what we know about how damage is resolved:- Damage is dealt one at a time- When damage meets or exceeds the hull value, the ship is removed immediately- Abilities and rule checks can and do activate between each damage card being dealt"

And haven't you since claimed FFG got vader wrong and it should be played your way?

which given your quote above I can only take it as your decided vader works FFG's way.

All im saying is as hits have to be cancelled before critical hits and im allowed to resolve damage any way I want to, id resolve the ship that was attacked first except for last critica hit then resolve the damage on the ship using DTF

Yeah.  Okay, fine - all true (except the stupid little quip about changing my mind on Vader, which is even more off-topic than the rest of this).

Yes, damage is resolved individually.  How is that even the slightest bit relevant to this discussion?  You don't decide to use DTF during damage resolution, you have to activate it when the ship is hit.  It doesn't move damage over, or damage cards, it moves die results.

I expect you can resolve the actual damage to the two ships in whatever order you want, but what does it matter?  You don't have any choices to make by that point, except maybe whether to use the Chewbacca crew on the crit you drew, but that seems like a rather extreme corner case since it's highly unlikely to be affected by whether the other ship survives.

Now if you're suggesting that you are (for example) taking two {Critical Hit} results on a TIE that already has one damage, and waiting to see if the first is a Direct Hit before using Draw Their Fire on the second...  then yes, you (and everyone you know) is indeed playing it wrong.

If that's NOT what you're suggesting (and, as always, deciphering what you're actually saying is a job for the ages) then we're back to "Yes, you're technically correct but you could probably throw in the average airspeed of an unladen swallow and it would be just as relevant to the discussion" land.

Yes, damage is resolved individually.  How is that even the slightest bit relevant to this discussion?

It isn't. Especially as ion damage does not even originate from the deal damage phase.