Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Audio Weasel

X-Wing Terrain

17 posts in this topic

Ok, if this breaks forum rules, I apologize, and will edit the post to simply say "Oops".  Saw this on Beasts of War's weekender show, and just thought I'd put it out there for people who might be interested.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1238621915/space-station-terrain-project-thats-no-moon?ref=live  It's a space station terrain kickstarter.  Looks OK to me, but I'm still reeling from the Dreadball Extreme kickstarter, so I may not be able to support it.

Edited by Audio Weasel

I've seen this. It's nice.

But, for 250.00 I can get a crap ton of different mats and have money still left over for

Asteroids from GF9 and take my wife out to eat as well.

Still.....I bet this thing would look cool as hell on a table with plenty of ships under a black light and some of those laser turrets wired up with red lights.

LeoHowler likes this

Having played on FFG's Death Star, I can tell you that it is a complete ***** to maneuver on a non-flat surface. 

It was worth it for the epic feel of that one match, but I don't see myself doing it again any time soon. 

Having played on FFG's Death Star, I can tell you that it is a complete ***** to maneuver on a non-flat surface. 

It was worth it for the epic feel of that one match, but I don't see myself doing it again any time soon. 

They claim the surface is play-tested and even.  But, you bring up my worry.  Although, I am attracted to the 1/3 station pledge level. ($125)

All the photos make it look wildly uneven and a difficult surface to move across. The asteroid bases are all the wrong size, and entirely do not conform to the "official" set-up requirements so they're entirely useless for tournaments (or even tournament training). Besides, 3d asteroids may look neat, but if the ship base would land right in the middle where the support stem is, it'd need to be moved or replaced so that the ship in question would be in the right position.

All the photos make it look wildly uneven and a difficult surface to move across. The asteroid bases are all the wrong size, and entirely do not conform to the "official" set-up requirements so they're entirely useless for tournaments (or even tournament training). Besides, 3d asteroids may look neat, but if the ship base would land right in the middle where the support stem is, it'd need to be moved or replaced so that the ship in question would be in the right position.

Those are classic mini flight stands. I used the same ones when I made my asteroids from lava rocks. To use them you put down the card asteroids then put the 3D ones on top. It adds a lot more visual flair to the game, when a ship overlaps the asteroid template we lift off the 3D one then put it back after the ship has cleared it.

It's just a bunch of plastic tiles. Why would I pay even half of that ($250) just so I could have a game mat? I could almost double my current fleet for that. >: (

It's just a bunch of plastic tiles. Why would I pay even half of that ($250) just so I could have a game mat? I could almost double my current fleet for that. >: (

"A fool and his money are soon parted" is the only explanation I can think of.

Eruletho likes this

How does this work with copyright rules? Making money off the Death Star title? Sure as an add on for FFG's game maybe but doesn't it violate Star Wars' copyright? Not complaining as much as curious how far fan made stuff can go and receive monetary backing.

One fatal flaw with this kind of thing: it allow for pre-measurement.  The tiles make an effective grid on the play surface.  

How does this work with copyright rules? Making money off the Death Star title? Sure as an add on for FFG's game maybe but doesn't it violate Star Wars' copyright? Not complaining as much as curious how far fan made stuff can go and receive monetary backing.

What Death Star title? It's generic space station terrain. I haven't thoroughly read the entire page, but I don't think they use the term Death Star at all. That's how.

@ leohowler, they don't appear to be plastic, page says cast resin. Still, way too much for my tastes.

oneway likes this

One fatal flaw with this kind of thing: it allow for pre-measurement.  The tiles make an effective grid on the play surface.  

In friendly home games, who cares.. it's just a decent board to play on. I honestly don't worry about someone being able to "measure" their move. It's a decent Station playing surface.. I may throw 25 at it for the asteroids.. that's all I think I could afford on this.

The asteroids look kind of cool, but I'm not sure how to use them with the rules as written.  Since your ships should be allowed to overlap the asteroids, the 3D ones really just get in the way.  I guess you could always play with a cardstock asteroid token under each 3D asteroid model and move the 3D model out of the way when necessary.