Sign in to follow this  
Warlordzair

New GM First Adventure

I've been thinking on what to run the past week and I came up with Treasure Planet. I figure a star wars retelling of a classic story should start the campaign with a lot of fun and laughs, especially since the crew they join is the romantically apocalyptic crew with the player who actually read the comic playing snippy. 

Now for the adventure I want five encounters, I've come up with Captain inviting the players and several NPC's to join his quest to find the long lost planet filled with treasure. Although that's hardly an encounter.

Next they must find the old astrogation charts from an old starship wreckage on some abandoned moon, in the ship will be automated security droids activated when they turn on the ship to retrieve the charts.

Third the players ship ends up in proximity of a black hole and must make an immediate hyper jump to escape which looking up the skill seems to be three purple dice which I will upgrade to two purple and one red, with two black dice. does that seem right please comment about that. Should they fail the ship will still get away from the black hole but be crippled till repaired, success but disadvantage will lead to hull damage, and despair will have a hull breach that sucks out a couple of the NPC's. what do you think of that encounter.

Fourth will be a creature feature of gundarks while they explore the planet in search of riches.

fifth will after they find the treasure with a mutiny in the treasure temple. Interrupted after a few rounds worth of shooting at pirates. The entire floor of the temple will start to sink into the maw of a giant sarlacc (think the force unleashed), awakened by the blaster fire. The mutinous pirates in the center of the temple will be the first to go sinking into the maw itself while others will be grabbed by tenticals. The players will have to run for the ship or be eaten themselves, what kind of roll is needed to avoid sarlacc tenticals?  

So what I need is your opinion on this adventure, what I should do with the fifth encounter, and with what little treasure they escape with before most of it sinks into the sarlacc, how much is it worth once traded in for credits.

Everything you mentioned sounds pretty reasonable. In terms of the reward, I'd say it depends on how long the the adventure lasts, but for a few sessions and the characters being new, 1k-1.5k each (maybe a bit more with a good negotiator) should probably be reasonable enough to get the players some nicer gear.

I'm probably going to steal your general idea, but I'd adjust the adventure slightly towards the end, and keep in mind this isn't a suggestion to change your adventure around, this is just personal taste. I'd probably change the temple to something like just needing to access the treasure in some enclosed area - either surrounded by large cliffs/moutnains or a bit underground - that requires explosives to access (which the crew would have). This would cause some increasingly worse shifts and shaking which gets progressively worse until the players and NPCs grab as much as hey can carry, then rocks and boulders would start to actually fall and kill/block off the NPCs carrying the actual crates filled with the majority of the treasures. This would go through, forcing everyone still alive back onto the ship.

Then I'd have the mutineers reveal themselves and attack the players, either while in hyperspace, or possibly even during the planet's escape - this would force a player to pilot, possibly needing to dodge obstacles, while leaving the rest to handle the couple of mutineers left. Then they can grab the mutineers' treasures, and if they didn't have a ship before the adventure, I'd have probably killed off the rest of the remaining crew during the escape, and let the players just keep this ship.

For the black hole. It is certainly within your perview to add setbacks and upgrades without the destiny point or anything.

"Ok this black hole generates a massive gravity well which will make your astrogation pretty hard."

*pushes 3 difficulty dice to the astrogator*

"Oh did I mention that you are already within it's radius"

*pushes forward 2 setback dice*

"And after all. This is a black hole we're talking about"

*replaces a difficulty die with a challenge die*

I was thinking maybe have an artefact fall into a PCs hands which splits into 2 with one piece thought unimportant whilst the other acts as a sort of datapad giving the location of various cache's.

Each cache reveals another part of the trinket until all five are brought together when you discover that separate bit from the beginning is what activates it opening a portal to where the true treasure is located, however like Treasure Planet its trapped!

Me I'd have a few of the pieces stolen but not the original piece and that datapad's information is downloaded and maybe the person carrying it manages to remember the next location so they can catch up if its stolen possibly having a PC or two kidnapped to force their help.

Ultimately I'd use this to introduce one of the ships shown in the KOTOR MMO maybe the smuggler's ship since there are stats for that I've seen and have the PCs escape on that ship so they may think they didn't get any of the treasure but they do have a ship in need of modernisation...

I haven't even thought about the secrets such a ship could hold... ;)

Edited by copperbell

For the black hole. It is certainly within your perview to add setbacks and upgrades without the destiny point or anything.

"Ok this black hole generates a massive gravity well which will make your astrogation pretty hard."

Good examples of how to gauge difficulty, except for the fact that you're talking about black holes :P

Nitpicking mode:

Your second point doesn't work, since being "within [a black hole]'s radius" doesn't mean anything sensible (within the event horizon would mean all hope is lost, other than that there is no "radius" to speak of).

Or even make falling into that black hole as part of the adventure... after all remember the Maw? ;)

Just because it looks certain death doesn't mean some ancient race used that as a cover... of course getting out might be justifiably harder... :P

Good examples of how to gauge difficulty, except for the fact that you're talking about black holes :P

Nitpicking mode:

Your second point doesn't work, since being "within [a black hole]'s radius" doesn't mean anything sensible (within the event horizon would mean all hope is lost, other than that there is no "radius" to speak of).

Good point. When stuff like that comes up, I file it right there with sounds and explosions in space.