Sign in to follow this  
DanteRotterdam

Aqualish only 1,5 meters high?

I can't post the actual picture, as I'm posting from my phone, but here's the link.

http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/28d76e10.jpg

It looks like Ponda Baba wasn't that tall. Perhaps, FFG has access to lucasfilm archives and has revised the height of the species.

Wookiepedia is hardly an official site, and WEG (if they originally estimated the height) often pulled things out of their arse (just made things up)

I can't post the actual picture, as I'm posting from my phone, but here's the link.

http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/28d76e10.jpg

It looks like Ponda Baba wasn't that tall. Perhaps, FFG has access to lucasfilm archives and has revised the height of the species.

Wookiepedia is hardly an official site, and WEG (if they originally estimated the height) often pulled things out of their arse (just made things up)

Well there is hardly anything you can compare him to in that picture.

There are other pics that show something else completely.

MScantina_Luke.png

ponda-baba2.jpg

Aqualish.jpg

I just don't buy the whole Brawn 3, 1.50 meter thing to be honest...

Edited by DanteRotterdam

Man, they're ugly.

That black and white full shot of Ponda Baba makes him look hydrocephalic, or worse, like an infant (which would make his adult height about forty to fifty feet). Limitations of the make-up, I guess, but it makes little sense to base any estimations of species height on 70s special effects.

The actor still looks short to me. He looks like he is standing at the bar while everyone else is sitting, or at least hunched over. Mark Hamill is 1.7m, Carrie Fisher is 1.55, sadly neither one of them is standing upright beside ponda baba's actor.

The pic I was using was all I could find. My comparison was to the bar being at his armpit.

If you try to think about biology, the brawn 3 can work. Denser muscles perhaps. Chimpanzees and orangutans can be stronger than people, bit generally not taller.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

The actor still looks short to me. He looks like he is standing at the bar while everyone else is sitting, or at least hunched over. Mark Hamill is 1.7m, Carrie Fisher is 1.55, sadly neither one of them is standing upright beside ponda baba's actor.

The pic I was using was all I could find. My comparison was to the bar being at his armpit.

If you try to think about biology, the brawn 3 can work. Denser muscles perhaps. Chimpanzees and orangutans can be stronger than people, bit generally not taller.

Well if the bar is at his armpit in one picture and at his elbow at the other then that should tell you he is defintely not standing in one of them....

5:35, 6:12 and freezeframe at 6:40. Defenitely between 1.70 and 1.80meter, at least.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

Well if the bar is at his armpit in one picture and at his elbow at the other then that should tell you he is defintely not standing in one of them....

5:35, 6:12 and freezeframe at 6:40. Defenitely between 1.70 and 1.80meter, at least.

Here is a frame from that clip.  Ponda Baba and Doctor Death are on the left, and Obi Wan and Chewie are on the right.

g31u.jpg

All the pics posted, I see the ponda standing straight, while everyone else is leaning. If you look at the black and white picture of ponda and evavzan, even with ponda's malformed giant bobble head (which when compared to the newer aqualish is huge as a sign of the tech of the time and importance of the character), he is shorter than evavzen. I've had no luck finding how tall Alfie Curtis (evavzan) is online, but with the side by side (wardrobe continuity?) shot, he is maybe 3 cm shorter.

Dude, you know what? You are right.

Do you know how short 1,50 meter is? Jawa's, Ewoks, etc. That is 1.50 right there. But I guess it hasn't really to do with reality as much as it has more to do with you wanting to be right.

To be fair, Jawas and Ewoks and the like are much closer to a mere meter.

Dude, you know what? You are right.

Do you know how short 1,50 meter is? Jawa's, Ewoks, etc. That is 1.50 right there. But I guess it hasn't really to do with reality as much as it has more to do with you wanting to be right.

I don't think you know how short 1.5 metres is. It's just shy of five feet. There were certainly no five foot tall Ewoks or Jawas in the film.

I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to point out that you may be slightly off on your use of the metric system. Now here's what I would do to be an ass: When I had a retail job selling inflatable pools for the summer, people would call up all the time and ask how big they are. I would tell them in metric, and usually there would be, oh, around 20-30 seconds of silence. Untill the person said thank you and hung up. Very few would ask what the measurement was in imperial. Most would call back to talk to someone else.. which was directed to me. <cue Evil Laugh>. Now I live in Canada and we are supposed to know both systems. Our speed limits and map scales are in kilometres, but when it comes down to 'personel' scale, most people over a certain age can't relate. Now yes, I was being an ass to these customers, from a certain point of view, but I told them exactly what they asked.

Now, as to wanting to be right.. here's how people on different viewpoints work. They all want to be right. You wanted to be right as you tried to sway my opinion by posting all your rebuttals. Don't try to make it seem like you are the plucky hero and I the evil ogre.

These forums are becoming far to antagonistocal as of late, and it seems any difference of opinion is being sighted as a personal attack. This was not my intent. I'm sorry you seem to see it that way.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Standard bar height on Earth is 42" or just the tiniest bit more than 1 meter (1.0668, to be exact). PB's feet are entirely within the shadow cast from the bar which is lit from overhead so he's standing reasonably close to it. If we assume that bars in a Galaxy Far Far Away are about the same height as they are on Earth...

DOuDFRT.jpg

A rough pixel-counting calculation (88/148 pixels) puts him at 1.6 meters or 5' 2".

Now, as to wanting to be right.. here's how people on different viewpoints work. They all want to be right. You wanted to be right as you tried to sway my opinion by posting all your rebuttals. Don't try to make it seem like you are the plucky hero and I the evil ogre.

nah, man. It is in no way like that at all, but if you wouldn't have ignored my reply to your... "Oh, he must be sitting down" I would have thought it a lot more an actual factual discussion. This wasn't. There is no way you believe this guy is 1.50, come on. I once dated a girl who was 1.50, heck Prince is 1.50! :)

I only use metric scale (being dutch and all) and I am 100% certain that guy is well over 1,70. I was off about jawa's and Ewoks if you take wookieepedia's word for it but heck even warwick davis is almost 1.10 without the suit and wicked is by far the smallest adult Ewok in the movie so I am pretty sure they are closer to 1.50 then they are to a meter. Jawa's come in all sizes however, in fact there are Jawa's the size of a grown man in some scenes in A New Hope.