Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erwo the Elder

Intolerant Priest and new Melisandre

4 posts in this topic

If I have three Asshai in play and Intolerant Priest in my dead pile can I use Melisandre's ability to put him back into play? His ability is passive and with three Asshai under my control he gains the holy crest. My thought is that he then can be put into play from the dead pile with Mel's abilty. 

Thoughts anyone? 

My belief why this can happen. Cards in the dead and discard pile don't turn off their passive abilities. Look at Theon or even the Knight of Summerhall. So, with this in mind the Intolerant Priest is gaining a Holy crest.

I'm afraid not. The only reason Theon's passive works in the dead pile is because his text explicitly says it does. Text on a card that is not in play is only active when there is text that allows it (either explicitly like with Theon or due to rules with things like Ambush).

Intolerant Priest will not have a holy crest in the dead pile. 

Specifically:

(3.14) Out of Play States

In general, card effects on non-event cards in a player's hand, deck, shadows area, discard pile, and dead pile are not considered to be actionable unless the card specifically states that it can be triggered while in its out-of-play state.