Sign in to follow this  
Bohrdumb

My Wife

So I've taught my wife the basics of the game. It's not totally her style (she likes games like Agricola and Lords of Waterdeep). However, she has picked it up pretty quickly, and in the 5 games we've played, she's gone 4-1 against me. What. The. Deuce?!

Admittedly, she is a far better pilot than I am.

My wife also destroys me every time I play. Back in December she won a tournament at our LGS by destroying me and all my buds and she went undefeated after 4 rounds. I have only beat her once since she started playing but, she doen't play as often as I do so there are not very many opportunities to play against her.

I taught my wife to play also... but mostly she just kinda flies around trying to shoot stuff. She doesn't really plan things out but she enjoys playing and that's all I care about. I think she even said we should play weekly...

My wife can't build good lists I have to help her which is fine. She has trouble remembering all the special abilities and upgrades not only that I am using but in her own list as we'll throughout te game. She forgets to activate abilities, doesn't plan ahead, and makes some poor choices from time to time (so do I though but not as frequently). That being said, I rarely beat her... Not even half as much as she beats me. I don't get it lol. The force is strong with her I guess!

It does seem the less skilled players can out manouver the better players most of the time??

I tend to think the opposing player would move how I would so I play to that. Then they do something totally different to what I do. Then I'm stuffed.

I'm not a good tactician. Especially against 5 year olds.

Ditto to many of the above posts. My wife beats me more often than not, and she almost always uses lists that most anybody would deem worthless. Like 100 point, 3-ship imperial lists that don't include Firesprays. Like Vader and two Interceptor wingmen. And she beats me.

What does that say about my X-Wing abilities? :blink:

Mine is luckily also into games, as am I, and though she often complains that she is not good enough at them, she wins more often than she might be willing to admit and our last X-Wing game ended with an epic stand-off between Vader and Luke as all others had been shot down.

X-Wing, though, is more my kind of game than hers and we're using a system that each time one of us win over the other we will have 5 pts less than the other in the next game; and it accumulates, making it a fluid 'handicap' system that keeps the game challenge and intertesting despite difference in tactical skills.

Edited by Cremate

This was my wife's comment after she beat me last night (which happened when I rolled 3 blanks against her B-wing with only 1 hit left anyway) 'I get grumpy when I lose, so I make sure I don't lose.'

And the problem is she does get a little grumpy, so I don't always want to Alpha and ruin her day, but if she's going to keep kicking my butt like this, the gloves are coming off.

My wife plays as well, and while she's not into the game as much as I am, she does play well. Especially rebel ships. What helps is that the rebels tend to be slower, which allows for fewer maneuver mistakes. Right now I think we're 50/50 on win/loses. Now, if I can stop running into asteroids...

Edited by eagle1361

Hi, guys.  That's great that your wives play!

I am co-host of SWMiniverse, a podcast devoted to the SWM skirmish game and more recently we've added X-Wing. A segment we've done a number of times on the show features the better half of our gaming community to get their viewpoint/thoughts/comments. Episode #84 featured Alex along with forum member Guitarquero.  Would your wife and you be willing to be guests on the show?

Tim

Well i am teaching my girlfriend how to play this weekend, so hopefully I can keep her interested as her attention span isn't great and she has a memory like a goldfish.

Any tips on teaching your other half?

Don't go meticulously through all the rules before you start. Grab one of the starter scenarios with a basic X-Wing vs two Tie Fighters. The game is simple and fast enough that you can easily teach the rules as they become relevant while you play, and then you can always get to a second game, possible adding more features.

I have played my wife at least 30 times and she is yet to beat me.

Maybe you should start considering using a handicap giving her progressively more points in her squad each time you win - as much as to challenge yourself :P

My wife is a great player with little to no interest in the game. On our once a week game night Ill give her my Rebel list that Im experimenting with just to see how well it is... Shes such a better pilot its sad, but being able to see and play against a list I love is amazing. Also, she's my best friend and its fun to just chill and play a game lol

Well i am teaching my girlfriend how to play this weekend, so hopefully I can keep her interested as her attention span isn't great and she has a memory like a goldfish.

Any tips on teaching your other half?

I second what's been said. Start with the basic rules and slowly add complexity, at her pace. Jumping in with all the rules and expansions may be fun for us, but not everyone finds the challenge fun.

I have played my wife at least 30 times and she is yet to beat me.

Maybe you should start considering using a handicap giving her progressively more points in her squad each time you win - as much as to challenge yourself :P

That's a good idea.  I don't think she would go for it though.