Sign in to follow this  
CrunchyDemon

How Frequently does Deadly Accuracy Work?

P134 in the CRB reads that Deadly Accuracy allows you to add your ranks in the appropriate combat skill to damage to one hit of a successful attack made with that skill (with a non vehicle weapon).

I have 5 ranks of Ranged (Heavy), when I shoot someone with my Heavy Blaster Rifle, on one hit I get 5 additional damage.  But it's a Passive Talent, so I have no idea how often this comes into play.

But one hit how frequent?  Every round?  Every encounter?  Every session? 

Edited by CrunchyDemon

Yup, one shot out of every individual successful attack you make, with auto fire and dual wielding creating an opportunity for several shots to be landed by one successful attack it means only one of them gets the DA bonus.

...ninja'd by Split Light...

The other restriction, of course, is that it only applies to one skill.

It's bottom tier for an Assassin, second from the bottom with the Gadgeteer... But in that case you have to buy one other 20pt talent first. It's cheapest for the Gadgeteer to get too, with Assassin second, and Mercenary Soldier third.

I would house rule that it doesn't add to any shots during Autofire.  Autofire is deadly enough as it is and it's easy enough to justify the character not being nearly as accurate with it (even beyond the +1 difficulty).

No need to house rule it since it already does that.

for instance a Bounty Hunter has 5 ranks of ranged heavy and shoots an auto-fire weapon the first shot does 22 damage + successes and the following shots from auto-fire all do 17 + successes.

I would house rule that it doesn't add to any shots during Autofire.  Autofire is deadly enough as it is and it's easy enough to justify the character not being nearly as accurate with it (even beyond the +1 difficulty).

No need to house rule it since it already does that.

for instance a Bounty Hunter has 5 ranks of ranged heavy and shoots an auto-fire weapon the first shot does 22 damage + successes and the following shots from auto-fire all do 17 + successes.

That's what I mean - the house rule would be that none of the hits did extra damage, not even the initial one (you'd lose the chance of bonus Deadly Accuracy damage on any round where you declare an Autofire attack).  Autofire is the meanest.

Edited by Col. Orange

I like auto-fire being super deadly. It makes the game more interesting when you can't just charge the dude with a friggin machine gun. If auto-fire isn't all that, then Marauders and Snipers become a lot more powerful.

There are so many ways to mitigate auto-fire if you're clever that it's not as powerful as some are pretending. Don't let the guy with the machine gun sneak up on people and you should be alright (Seriously, no one notices the dude with the giant friggin gun?!)

As a GM you can use a minion screen to prevent the Heavy from killing your Nemesis (although Adversary makes a nemesis pretty resistant to multiple shots anyway). Hard cover, numerous defensive talents, heavy armor, or the Force Sense power all mitigate or make characters resistant to auto-fire.

Auto-fire is badass, but it's not as terrifying as some people are pretending (unless you are a talky character standing in the middle of the street when some one decides to empty an E-Web into you).

As the GM just make situations where PCs can't carry the big gun.  Even with the new sub-machine guns it's not all that bad. The new weapons don't have enough base damage to be that dangerous.