Sign in to follow this  
Drop Bear

When Characters Don't Loot

Or if they do they just don't Keep or Sell the stuff. on to my 2nd DH Game (Same players diffrent Characters), in the original game for the first few adventuers the players whent nuts with the Looting, Even hunting down Mooks fleeing the seen killing them and looting their gear to sell for Cash, I even found myself saying "No you can't have a Claw Hammer" as one game they wanted to go back for everything that Was naild down.

New Characters and two adventures in they Aren't Looting, and what little they do is the "Not leaving it for other Heritics" and "It's Evidence" kind where they turn it all in to the Order at the first opportunity, at the rate their going to end up with no "Discretionary Fund" let alone Cash for Kit upgrades.

Still You get that when you change from GMing a pack of Battle Hardend or Streetwise Trouble Shooters, to a Choir of Nuns (with Guns).

Any suggestions on how to persuade them to pick up a bit of their normal Habits, or should I introduce a Bounty Scheam where they score Credit with the Order for Confiscated Gear?

Remember that they earn money on a regular basis. Also, if you feel they need more funds/gear their Inquisitor can provide it to them in the form of an additional stipend or the ability to requisition equipment.

IMO, they shouldn't need to loot. DH isn't D&D.

Why is it so important that they loot their enemies? I can understand it if you mean they don't even search them, then they could miss out on vital clues and such, but if your problem is that they don't take their enemies gear and sell, then I don't really see a problem to start with.

I suggest: Dont!

Seriously, handling rampant looting takes time. Unless you enjoy that sort of stuff, be grateful for what you got, and work around it. Give them more money from their Inquisitor, give them good standing with the poor folk who scavenge the sites of their battles. If you want them to pick up a great weapon, mention it in detail afterwards.... "The ornamented revolver at the hip of the cultist leader catches your eye... this would make a great trophy weapon!"

While it may sometimes be a bit annoying, the opposite is, IMO, far worse.

They Serch the fallen for Clues, Releics, Evidence and Rare Tech, also they will take Weapons that could be used against them, or just the Ammo and then "Spike" the Guns. everything is then turned in at the first chance.

Problem is after three missions they are opperating without a Slush Fund having spent it all in the last mission (I had to fudge Dice so they could pay for the Boat trip), also they have run out of Ammo for their Primary Weapons and some of their Secondary Weapons (the Xenos in "Maggots in the Meat" almost got away when the PCs burnt the Mill). they lack Auxiliary Gear.

Their other Characters atleast have showen some Inishitive on "Resource Acquisition" and the establishment of a "Discretionary Fund" for "Covert Expenses", where their Nuns need a Baby Sitter to see that they don't go hungary when away from the Comandary.

Ammunition is one of the easier problems to solve for DH just at the begging of the mission have their inquisitor make them visit the quatermaster and he will give them basic gear for the mission I.E. ammunition (i suggest enough to load the weapon at least 2 to 4 times over) and a little cash to have fun with (their monthly pay and at least 50 to 200 throne more not enough to let them buy everything but its enough to get them what they will need most likely) also if your worried about their starting weapons have them break possibly and they have to buy a new one (the Inquisitors Handbook is amazing for new weapondry) that could be a mission in itself. If they dont loot their enemies have the repurcussions hit them at the end of the mission by making the end fight harder (perhaps they missed a vital clue as to the weakness of the creature/daemon/heretic if you want them to loot make them lol thats the GM's privlage.

Well They've Collected/Confiscated around Two and a Half Thousand in Cash and Gear, all has gone to the Order, at the end of this last adventure I Gifted the odd character out (a Schola raised Guiding Light Psyker) the basic Sororitas kit as she has come close to dieing in all three adventures and needed the Armour. and their not shy about buying equipment when they have the Cash (part of the reason they got Broke in the first place), their just not "Self Funding" their shoping trips, so their few and far betwean.

First Game Month is up, so they have got their Stipind with a Bonous, but I fear if I don't go strait in to PtU (that I'd prefer to run with the other Characters) They will be broke again within a fortnight (Game time)

Have them rewarded richly for their contribution to the Inquisition. If you ask me they are doing what they are meant to do. How about you reward them extra cash when they hand items over to the Inquisition. This way they get to do what they want but they don't run low on cash.

I have had my players help important people with lots of money some of whom are grateful and in the most recent case very grateful (a credit block worth 30,000 thrones from Vymer and Quill in A House of Dust and Ash). That way the Inquisitor doesn't seem to just give handouts all the time but they can get a decent amount of cash.

I really do not like the concept of looting things for the PCs to sell later in this game. First of all, where are the going to sell it? You can't just go into a gun store and sell them a bunch of guns you happen to have. Tere's all sorts of beurocracy to go through. If the PCs do manage to find a place to sell the guns and body armor they've picked up, they should think about who those guns are going to be resold to. Quite possibly right back into the hands of gangers and heretics quite like the people they killed for such gear in the first place. I make sure that the local police force has a program in which to turn these things in for cash. Munitorium adepts catalog it and then either sell it back to local un shops and PDF surplus stores or they box them up to sit in a warehouse somewhere.

Of course there are other types of loot besides guns and body armor. Anything that stores data and any other more high tech gizmos can be gifted to any Mechanicum types that are on world. Also despite not wanting the PCs to supply illegal or heretical orginizations with weapons, body armor and gizmos I will provide them with the opportunity to do so. Underworld connections are quite valuable in their line of work.

from what you describe, your players are playing things right. when they were irreputable scum they filled their pockets with all forms of worldly goods. now they are playing girls who's earliest memories probably involves a drill abbot's hammer smashing the creed into their young malleable skulls and who's only real life experience tends to revolve around secluded convents where they sing "the emperor provides" so they can't be expected to be worldly, materialistic, and greedy. the emperor provides.

their convent tends to provide for a sororitas' needs and, when in the field, it will be the convent / house / munitorium / ordos that provide for them in the emperor's name. if they are working for the big I, their inquisitor should know that a group of gununs would need to be provided for. like most pure-breeds, they are an expensive pet to keep and require a responsible owner to take care of them. if their inquisitor were looking for a self sufficient cheep pet that he could leave outside for weeks on end, then he should have picked up a pack of mongrel scum.

if, again, they are working for he inquisition, perhaps their inquisitor has a cell of mongrel scum operating in the area who primary function is to hunt down minor cults and heresies, loot everything from these minor cults after busting their heads and then channel the funds to the sisters on pain of purging if they fail to deliver what the sisters need. in such a case, it would be best if the sisters didn't know where the funds came from, just the emperor provides ;-)

in the end, i would say your players are doing things right. you might need to adjust your style to match unless your wanting to tell a story about the destruction of innocents as they must become worldly and corupt to do the emperor's work...

Yeah with an all nuns with guns party I'd just give them bits and pieces to round out their equipment, maybe a bit of carapace each after their missions, ammo and whatever to keep them roughly where they're supposed to be. Mostly because its not going to create any in-character favouritism or friction for doing so between the players. As Graver said, they're not exactly worldly creatures and still stumbling around believing in things that probably just don't exist for the majority of underprivilaged, hard working people out in the real big bad galaxy.

Which is in its own way a strength and a weakness you can use and exploit later when they have to deal with people who aren't necessary heretical but just plain bad bastards all the same, its not against the imperial creed to be a complete arsehole to your fellow man :)

(In fact I think they encourage it)

personally, I wouldn't worry about money at, its very boring. but thats just me.

If you do want to worry about money, then I wouldn't change anything. if they run out of money, then ythey've run out of money, its the Players decision what to do about that. do they start looting? Do they stand demanding 'tithe'? Do they requst additional funds from the Big I or even the Big E? Don't baby them or manipulate them, you'll rpobably get some great rp out of it.

The group I play with doesn't do much looting either and it's mostly because somehow going to a Pawn shop after whoopin booty for the G.E. just seems...wanky.  The way our GM handles it is with a 'company credit card' type situation.  Since it is heavily monitored there is ample opportunity for us to be too scared to use it, and for the GM to properly punish those that decide to go on a shopping spree.  An inactive acolyte simply has outdated access credentials and couldn't go shopping in their off time with it.  But when you get your orders to suit up and punchasize some face your card is activated so you can prep as you see fit. 

Now in order to curb everyone having the best everything and a Rogue Trader on retainer in orbit we have a preset spending limit depending on our rank that is available on each mission.  So far we haven't had a situation yet where we weren't able to afford what we needed, although we are definitely not able to just buy power armor and a custom Heavy Stubber made of five underhivers taped together weilding service pistols.  Maybe once we rank up a few more times but right now we're happy to have a trusty las gun and some flak armor.

I expect, no i consider it automatically that the =][= supports and funds their acolythes, paying them a stipend to live on and giving them what i call the mission founding with reasonable reserves in it.

Empereor on his throne i don`t the a beans counter on every level of the Inquisition check if they´ve used the money most scrooge, efficiently yes., but in the end better err on the side of its only money, then risk faiure

Failure in the service of the empereor is the greatest of all sins

Looting is not necessary.  Items like armour and what not should be useless by the end of a mission, the gear of heretics is tainted and should not be used or sold.  The group I play with take everything not nailed down.....and it sucks.  My character has taken handguns to upgrade from his compact stub and the others have taken everything, even Xeno gear, and since the GM has done nothing about it (yet) it has gotten a bit out of hand.  He does not care about the weight or bulk of itmes even when I have brought up how silly it is that some characters have full guard armour, at least three good ranged guns, other gear, and are carrying loot- one PC just "pulled" 6 stub automatics and 2 shotguns out of his pack for sale.....and the GM gave him around 50% of the value for it.

Looting is best left for D and D or other dungeon crawls.

The Emperor may provide, but he also helps those who help themselves, or at least that's what Team A think, Initial they took everything, now it's only what they can use or get a very good price for (as well as what's of interest to the Hire up's) , they seam to think it's a good piece of Ironery that the Heretics they bring down are funding their little branch of the Inquisition.

Where Team B would prefer to hold a show Trial and Witch Burning than make suere that their not hitting the Big I & E up for their next Clip of Ammo or Exterminator Refill (Smeed & Smoot survived "Maggots in the Meat" where Tried an Burnt at the Stake for their Crimes).

Drop Bear said:

Where Team B would prefer to hold a show Trial and Witch Burning than make suere that their not hitting the Big I & E up for their next Clip of Ammo or Exterminator Refill (Smeed & Smoot survived "Maggots in the Meat" where Tried an Burnt at the Stake for their Crimes).

This sounds perfect for me! Especially the burning!

Seriously, join the "stop looting / here is your gear" team. Hand them some "basic gear" for what is EXPECTED to happen and some funds (perhabs around hundred or some hundred thrones) for "other expenses" and set them on "go".

I would be happy for players who are  that way!  

Better your way then the other way around. Reward there ways with some gear and some money handed out at the beginning of it. And give them a stern reminder to "use the money wisely, for it is from the emporer". This might keep them away from "buying on impulse". And you all can keep focus on the game, unless "getting gear, ammo and money" is a part of it you all want to play out happy.gif

My initial reaction to this sort of thing would be "Hmm, that's quite neat". That is: looting's a bit boring. Automate the process (i.e. give a 'value' to the likely things they'd collect and treat that as a 'claimable' bonus if they fancy expending a few hours applying their trade-related skills at any quiet point in the campaign) or enhance the process (by allowing players to break into a proper fencing market 'on the side' of their Inquisition stuff!) whilst also automating the direct looting thing.

Individually scouring bodies isn't terribly fun, but if it's all bundled up into a (max?) twenty minute part of an evening/afternoon's gaming  then players have an added level to 'RP' or use some non-com skills in an effort to facilitate the advancement of the plot. Keep's 'em happy, at least, and lets you be quite innovative with some 'structures' you create for the scenarios.

one problem I have is my players know if I give them Stuff the "Beat Stick" is following and they go nuts waiting for the other shoe to drop, only time I've given them stuff and let them squrm till it stoped being Fun for me was in a SLA game, and I've found to run that it's best if your part Saidist anyway.

Some of my players survived an ambush staged by a group of oddly well equipped mutants a few sessions back. It didn't come as much surprise when they gathered up as much as they could carry and headed back the way they came, profit on their mind. It all worked out well, though; they triggered a localised collapse, barely escaped death and then had the joy of trying to shift their acquisitions back in the settlement. Local arms smugglers paid well enough for the more exotic items after some haggling (I think they got 40% of the value of those shock mauls) and they eventually managed to shift the las-weaponry they looted, though only in exchange for a Reclaimator's tinkering services. I never thought I'd get to use those Gorkamorka Mekboy tables again. Not a bad bit of profit, and it only rendered one of the PCs comatose and forced them to find another, very hazardous way back into the deep underhive.

My play-by-post group (the above being an IRC group) have their living costs paid for by their Inquisitor and receive bonus pay for each operation they complete. After they get back from Iocanthos, though (and most likely endure some unforeseen consequences of their inevitable "failure") they'll most likely be working more closely with their Inquisitor and the Ordos, so at that time the concept of personal funds might go out the window.

In the game I run and the one I play in looting happens occasionally but most of the gear the characters get is issued to them by superiors.  My scum character who just passed 10,000xp has actually done very little in the way of overt theft.  She has spent most of her time infiltrating and gathering information, the gun fights she's been in has allowed her to acquire a few good pistols, but due to several plot twists most of what she has accumulated has been lost/left behind when circumstances suddenly change like needing to flee, or going undercover and not being able to return to the cache, etc.

As for funds for the characters to get around, you could certainly give characters a monetary reward for turning in contraband aka loot.  Or just have them given credit for missions assuming they can justify it, or have them find some way of scamming their way into getting what they need (obviously different character types will use different methods).

If your group loots too little (for whatever reasoning) then give them support from the Ordos, most GM's have an idea of the power level they like to see in their players so this one is easy.  We get 200 thrones per rank per mission that resets after each mission.  Some groups would find this laughable some would find it far overdone, but it works for us.  Our idea is that once you get to the upper ranks it makes it feasible to restock your ammo for the Bolter without taking out a second mortgage on your crappy mid-hive condo.

If they loot too much always remember the three T's Taint it, Trap it, Time it.   You only have to resist a chaos mutation a few times before you start to just look past the carapace armor that the head cultist was wearing.  Most loot hoovers will think twice before blindly gathering a pile of las pistols once they trigger a makeshift cell overload bomb.  There's also something satisfying with players coming accross a hoard of booty only to be under some time constraint preventing wholesale looting (fill in your favorite 'oh crap we have to go' event).  When all else fails you may just have to resort to actually keeping tabs on the carrying capacity of the players with encumbrance and container sizes...but that sucks the fun right out of life.

If you're worried about them not having the right equipment, choice commentary from NPCs can motivate them into spending money. "You can't go see Tech-Priest Vulcan looking like that; you look like an underhiver. Go get some clean clothes from the rectory! Better yet, get two (or three) sets. And keep them clean!"

Alternately, you can have spiffy gear gifted to them. "Lord Siprian was extremely impressed by your actions and was grateful of the Sisterhood's assistance. He has donated several rather fine sets of battle dress to the Order, with a wish that you wear this one." or "Please accept this duelling laspistol as a token of my gratitude for your assistance ... and your discretion."

Another possibility is to have them borrow it from someone (the local PDF or Arbites, for example) and then for the borrowed gear to be "accidentally" left in their kit. A bookkeeping error in their favor that leaves a skull drone assigned to them, for example. After all, the Administratum is a massive organization, both in size and in bureaucratic complexity. A mistake in the paperwork could result in any sort of thing being left in their care permanently or even misassigned. "We didn't ask for a pair of flamers!" "Look, Sister, that's not my problem. I have orders to deliver it here, so it gets delivered here. Sign on the dotted line." (People who have dealt with military requisitions should know how this works, although the horror stories are more prevalent than the windfalls. I had a friend who saw his base in Colorado get a battleship anchor instead of the base's needed shipment of toilet paper; the truck driver didn't even think twice about driving it to a landlocked base. Someone had ordered a battleship anchor, and by God and the U.S. Army, they were going to get it!)

We loot a little bit.  We don't leave naked bodies in our wake and sell their clothes or anything but if the baddies have nice weapons or such we will take them, or stock up on ammo if necessary.  The things we have spent the most money on is armor.  The tech priest really has some fleshy bits he wants lopped off & replaces and my assassin is really really wanting a power sword.  But in general money hasn't been that tight as we have enough to get by.  We haven't been against that many heretics or xenos - just finished maggots so that is the exception - as our first adventures were against underworld unsavory types so no taint to worry about.  Those jobs tend to pay better as you might come across some money literally lying around or perhaps some other items of worth.