Sign in to follow this  
Dorksim

First time playing the game is at a tournament? Sure, let's do it!

Good day gang.

I had a demo of X-Wing last weekend and I am hooked. With an upcoming tournament schedule for this Saturday, I went out and purchased two core sets, an X-Wing expansion and a B-Wing expansion and plan on stormed the store and seeing what happens. What better way to figure things out then at an event where everyone wants to kick my teeth in.

So that leads me to the dilemma of making a decent list using these limited resources. I do plan on going rebels, and have scrapped together a list that I think will teach me some things, but any suggestions based on what I have would be great!

My plan is:
Wedge, Garven, Rookie Pilot and Dagger Squadron.

I am tossing and turning over the idea of downgrading the Dagger to a Blue and maybe throwing some equipment on someone, but I am not entirely sure.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I wish I could find a YT, but ther 4 hobby shops within a 1 hour radius of me don't have any. And given the time it will take for one to be shipped to me, I doubt I will have it by this weekend.

I do like that list Rebel, so I may give it a shot. It seems like I will be getting no practice time between now and this weekend, so it should be interesting.

My first real games were at a tourney last week as well lol. During the week I scrubbed up the cash to get a Falcon....I know you said the odds of getting one were slim, but I cant suggest it enough! All that to say, have fun, ask a ton of questions and remember that you will only get better :)

As mentioned, my  first game/tourney was last week, and in that time ive learned a ton about actions, combos and ships. I, like you, prefer starting in the deep end ;)

Imperial Rebel's list above is solid. I took 3 super modified ships and can tell you... you can never overstate the importance of a 4th ship. 

This may be something to consider although it is a more defensively based:

Luke

Red

Blue + FCS (or Dagger)

Rookie + R2D2

The points are well balanced and the offensive capacity of each is nearly the same so there although the Blue would be the "clear" target because of the FCS improving its attacks.  Of course shooting at Luke may be a bit harder and the Rookie can generate Shields which makes them less desirable targets.

Another idea:

Wedge

Red x2

Blue + Ion Cannon

A 99 point alternative would be Garven in for Wedge and moving the Blue up to a Dagger.  I guess a problem with these is that we may be wasting points on Pilot skill depending on what you end up flying against.  Here the B-Wing is clearly getting used for a slightly different purpose as the Ion Cannon can mess with some squads more than dealing raw damage will.

I would definitely keep it simple.  Generally upgrades should be added if you have a clear idea exactly why and when you are using them in a particular build.  Since you are pretty new, I would avoid most upgrades and stick to 4 ship for KISS.  There will be a lot of other things to keep track of (pilot skill order, raw stats, opponent's ships and combos, asteroids, judging distances, etc) so make your squad is simple to help yourself later.

I would say go with either your first list:

Wedge, Garvan, Rookie, Dagger (just have to remember the -1 evade dice from Wedge shots and pass the focus with Garvan)

Or with the Defensive Luke list (but move R2D2)

Luke+R2D2, Red, Dagger, Rookie  (Remembering Luke's built in focus on green dice, and the free sheild from green maneuvers from R2D2.  Note that Luke is very hard to kill late in the match, or can soak some initial fire in the first turn if he gets focused by the enemy.)

Hope you have fun, the game is a blast!

Edited by Texx

I deliberately stayed away from Luke + R2D2 because that combo is something an experiences player may jump on him because of it.  It's a great combo EXCEPT you are almost completely removing the reason to shoot at Luke unless one has the ability to take him down fast.  An experienced player will shoot up the other X-Wings and B-Wing before taking on Luke because they are much easier to kill yet pack as much punch.  Luke may be hard to kill late in the game but he could easily find himself all alone.

I had place R2D2 on the Rookie to make points more balanced 28/25 vs. 32/21 and also because it gives the opponent two ships he really doesn't want to shoot at.  Doesn't want to shoot at Luke because Luke can evade a bit better and doesn't want to shoot at the Rookie because the Rookie can restore shields using R2D2.

Here's the list i would use with your stuff.

Wedge + R5

Biggs

Blue + Fire Control System

Rookie

I am in agreement. FCS is worth the downgrade.

Also with Biggs in there, Wedge (your most important pilot) will last much longer. I also advise this list.

I deliberately stayed away from Luke + R2D2 because that combo is something an experiences player may jump on him because of it.  It's a great combo EXCEPT you are almost completely removing the reason to shoot at Luke unless one has the ability to take him down fast.  An experienced player will shoot up the other X-Wings and B-Wing before taking on Luke because they are much easier to kill yet pack as much punch.  Luke may be hard to kill late in the game but he could easily find himself all alone.

I had place R2D2 on the Rookie to make points more balanced 28/25 vs. 32/21 and also because it gives the opponent two ships he really doesn't want to shoot at.  Doesn't want to shoot at Luke because Luke can evade a bit better and doesn't want to shoot at the Rookie because the Rookie can restore shields using R2D2.

I love putting R2-D2 on Luke from a prioritization stand-point. R2 gets no use if he's focused down in a single turn, and Luke is best under focused fire. Put them together, and you've got a single nigh-immortal ship with a high offensive capability.

Seriously, the Math-Wingers have figured out that Luke with no upgrades and no actions is as tanky as a Firespray with the same. And you're giving R2-D2 to that platform.

Here's the list i would use with your stuff.

Wedge + R5

Biggs

Blue + Fire Control System

Rookie

I am in agreement. FCS is worth the downgrade.

Also with Biggs in there, Wedge (your most important pilot) will last much longer. I also advise this list.

Thanks for backing me up (to the both of you) the idea is the the two higher priority pilots (Blue and by far the higher of the two wedge) will stick with Biggs, sitting comfortly at range 1 from them. While the Rookie starts on the oposit side and flanks. As long as the Force is with you (or dice) you could pull off a win or two for sure and hopefully excel farther.

THINGS TO REMEMBER

Start Biggs, Blue and Wedge in a T formation (Biggs in the back) on ether the far left or right side with the rookie on the opposing side

Unless you know FOR SURE Biggs will not get shot at Focus every chance you get with Biggs

Don't have the rookie cut in to far or people will be able to target him (and not forced to shoot Biggs), so let him take his time (even if that means not firing as soon)

If the Rookie is Horriblily out-numbered (3 ties, a tie and a intercepter, anything 30 points+) at the start have him hard turn towards the middle of the board so he does not get shreded.

The Odds for Focus and Target lock are dead even on attack so pick focus over target lock (unless you are preping for the next round)

Most importentally have FUN! Tournaments are a blast and even if you lose every game you still get Ten Numb :)

Edited by Imperial Rebel

For beginner advice, I agree, pick focus since the "odds" are the same.  However, once you start learning more about the game, you'll start realizing situational awareness and then TL has it's moments.  For example, if neither of you have shots, pick up a TL.  If you don't think you're going to be shot back, picking up a TL would be a wise move since if you don't need it, it sticks around.  

But yes, Focus is a very good default action.

Such great stuff! Thanks everyone!

I think I am going to go with the Biggs, Wedge, Blue, Rookie list and see what happens. It seems my local shop did get in a YT, but at this point I think I am just going to go with what has been proposed. If onyl because I would need to buy a Slave 1 for the Gunner card.

Thanks everyone! I will let you all know how it goes! I am sure you will be losing sleep between now and then in anticipation! ;)