Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Madmartigan

Variant "delving" play-mode more like 1E.

57 posts in this topic

link plz.

The link is the same one in the first post in this thread. However, the file has not been approved yet. Maybe the admins at BGG take Sundays off? It should be approved today or tomorrow. Just keep checking that link.

Once again, apologies for accidentally deleting the previous version. After 1.4 is approved everything should be copacetic.

Version 1.5 of the rules is up on BGG. The rules have been re-edited. I added back in the option for heroes to refresh their heroic feat at the shop, and for the sake of giving support classes more ways to earn XP, I have added skill card combos to the heroes' rewards section, as well as a reward for performing heroic feats. 

ccj86 likes this

Version 1.6 will be up on BGG soon. I have added rules for doors, defined  a "placement area", and refined the rules for reinforcing monsters and placing various tokens.

Version 2.0 is up on BGG. Monster spawning and reinforcing has been completely redesigned, rewards have been refined, and I have added rules for playing a Legendary Mini-Campaign. Enjoy!

Version 2.1 is live. I have edited the entire document, refined conquest token rewards, re-tooled the rules for upgrading boss monsters including adding a table for adding monster abilities, and further revised the rules for reinforcing monsters.

Edited by Madmartigan

Playtesting is going well. The rules seem pretty solid and relatively balanced. I think a final version is not so far off.

Thank you for this excellent work! When you playtest it, what quest(s) do you use? I'd like to try it out as soon as I get the time but am just wondering what quests you would suggest. Thanks!

Thank you for this excellent work! When you playtest it, what quest(s) do you use? I'd like to try it out as soon as I get the time but am just wondering what quests you would suggest. Thanks!

We have been playtesting on randomly generated quests. Using these rules on official 2E quests will unbalance the game.

Version 2.3 is live. Because having the ability to unlock and use all of a hero's class skills at once turned out to be not only OP, but to limit the fun and challenge of playing different setups within the same class, I have added rules which limit the number of hero class skills that can be purchased and used at the same time. This has the added benefit of making the additional ways of spending hero XP more valuable.

Edited by Madmartigan

I want the final variant to be compatible with one or more of the no-overlord variants that are going around. I am in the process of reviewing the various variants for compatibility.

I just read through your variant, sounds great and gives me hope! Me and my wife used to play HeroQuest a ton and I got bored of facilitating the game and it's stale game mechanics (despite my many many variants). I got Descent 2e and was excited for a great modern dungeon crawler. Unfortunately and as you put it it, it's more of a race / tactical skirmish which my wife does not enjoy at all. Want to get back to dungeon delving and I'm so excited to try out your variant. I'll let you know how things go.

I just read through your variant, sounds great and gives me hope! Me and my wife used to play HeroQuest a ton and I got bored of facilitating the game and it's stale game mechanics (despite my many many variants). I got Descent 2e and was excited for a great modern dungeon crawler. Unfortunately and as you put it it, it's more of a race / tactical skirmish which my wife does not enjoy at all. Want to get back to dungeon delving and I'm so excited to try out your variant. I'll let you know how things go.

Great! I am interested to hear what you think. I am also working on adding a co-op option, using Redjak's no-overlord variant. The next update may take a bit of time, however.

Crazy question, would you be willing to post a video of your version 2.3 to explain and demonstrate?

Great idea!!! I would love to see a vídeo with the tutorial. Anyway, you are doing a good work here.

Crazy question, would you be willing to post a video of your version 2.3 to explain and demonstrate?

Great idea!!! I would love to see a vídeo with the tutorial. Anyway, you are doing a good work here.

Hmm. I have never made a video for the internet and I do not really have the right equipment or editing software to produce one of sufficient quality to make it the way I would want to, so I would say that the possibility of a tutorial video is slim. But it is a good idea, and I would be willing to consult on such a video if someone wanted to make one.

The link is in the very first post in this thread. Version 3 is not ready yet. I will post again when it is up, probably sometime later this week.

Version 3.0 is live. I have added a complete system for generating random maps. One tile is placed and explored at a time, similar to the official co-op rules and some of the other sans-Overlord variants around. However, with this system and RedJak's RAOV, the players can choose to play either with an Overlord or without.

Hello =)

Can anyone suggest me some custom map to try this rules? I'm a new player and I don't have 1st edition.

Btw good job, I've read your manual and seems very interesting =)