Sign in to follow this  
Beren Eoath

Any news from GAMA Trade Show 2014 regarding this game?

Ok, so now it's Gama Trade Show 2014 going on. There FFG and there's GW at one place. I do not hear any official news but maybe someone heared something? Will this show bring any news about the future of Warhammer Fantasy?

Like I said many times before if FFG will not support WFRP 3e then maybe they could use the licence to create other games set in Old World. Maybe a card LCG game of Warhammer Quest?

Do You think that if they will not continue WFRP 3e will they try to make a new edition of it or a different Fantasy RPG game. If they go for the second then maybe a Terrinoth RPG set in the Runebound universe?

Cheers

Beren

A little FFG news a bit down the page. Basically what we could expect. 40K and Star Wars. A fiscal bar is being set for future products. I don't see WH Fantasy being much more than a B stock product unless something truly astounding happens. At this point Terrinoth is where my betting money is.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1535-D-D-Next-Notes-from-GAMA

Edited by GMmL

Yes, that's what I thought. No news is a bad news. It looks like FFG and GW is loosing interest in Warhammer Fantasy becouse it's becomming a niche. Maybe when GW will publish a new WFB, chnge something in the setting and move the timeline something will change. Now a see only one still expanding game using WF as setting it's Warhammer:Discwars.

i still think that they could do something like a card game based on Warhammer: Quest  or Mordheim. but it all looks like the end of Warhammer Fantasy, a grim and dark end.

As for a new fantasy RPG line then Terrinoth would be a perfect fit. FFG could make for this game what they want becouse they own the Runebound setting. They could easly make it a game simialr to EotE RPG. So maybe when WFRP will need it's end they will publish something like it.

Cheers

Yes, that's what I thought. No news is a bad news. It looks like FFG and GW is loosing interest in Warhammer Fantasy becouse it's becomming a niche. Maybe when GW will publish a new WFB, chnge something in the setting and move the timeline something will change. Now a see only one still expanding game using WF as setting it's Warhammer:Discwars.

i still think that they could do something like a card game based on Warhammer: Quest  or Mordheim. but it all looks like the end of Warhammer Fantasy, a grim and dark end.

As for a new fantasy RPG line then Terrinoth would be a perfect fit. FFG could make for this game what they want becouse they own the Runebound setting. They could easly make it a game simialr to EotE RPG. So maybe when WFRP will need it's end they will publish something like it.

Cheers

I had heard a rumor, but it's too early to tell if it's anywhere near true. I don't want to say it out loud, because it's supposedly from an actual source inside FFG and I don't want that person to get into trouble, and also because I don't want to jinx it, and also because it might be completely false, but I have serious reason to believe WFRP will get a new edition.

FFG can be silent for several reasons. The two most obvious is because they are trying to negotiate a better deal with Games Workshop or because Games Workshop ask them to. The rumors that float around is mostly about the last situation.

Remember that Warhammer Diskwars get it's love thesse days and that's the fantasy setting of Warhammer Invasion and 3ed. So it doesn't exsactly looks like there is sign of a strained relationship between the two companies. 

I think it's most likely that Games workshop is up to something and FFG have to coordinate with them. That's something could very well be related to the table top gaming part. 

But i for sure can't accept that  we didn't get the rogue/skaven supplement to finish the classes and round up the chaos powers in the game. That's such a shame, that part was not done.

Besides that i think Games workshop really needs to do something to bring their IP out on other platforms in a ways that actual works to reinforce the interest in the IP for a new audience.

I agree.

The Warhammer Fantasy setting and fluff is wonderful IP. Exposure over different mediums is great for GW, allowing them to reach new markets. Each medium helps to expand the general knowledge of lore further.

Personally, I came to this forum after looking through the product leaflet contained in my Game of Thrones board game. About 10 years ago I collected WFB Bretonnians, and wasn't aware WFRP 3ed even existed. Now I'm right on board! (no pun intended).

I think it's a big DUH that they are planning on more for this game. If it were truly dead and gone they would not bother leaving it on the Upcoming page as being in development.

I don't know anybody at FFG, but I'm guessing the newer boxed set will be more of a red box starter for people to try out the game. Some of the stuff and cards will be streamlined and I imagine it will be compatible with 3rd ed.

I also think they boxed adventures they have already made will not be reprinted. Like Descent 2nd, some of the stuff may come out again in a different form, but the 4 chaos powers boxes I don't think will be made again.  So get that stuff soon, if you want it.

Cheers

I had heard a rumor, but it's too early to tell if it's anywhere near true. I don't want to say it out loud, because it's supposedly from an actual source inside FFG and I don't want that person to get into trouble, and also because I don't want to jinx it, and also because it might be completely false, but I have serious reason to believe WFRP will get a new edition.

Good lord I hope this is true!

I only hope it's true when I don't have to deal with incompatibilities... about 600€ for this rpg was the biggest investment by far for me in my 25 years of roleplaying...

I think it's a big DUH that they are planning on more for this game. If it were truly dead and gone they would not bother leaving it on the Upcoming page as being in development.

I don't know anybody at FFG, but I'm guessing the newer boxed set will be more of a red box starter for people to try out the game. Some of the stuff and cards will be streamlined and I imagine it will be compatible with 3rd ed.

I also think they boxed adventures they have already made will not be reprinted. Like Descent 2nd, some of the stuff may come out again in a different form, but the 4 chaos powers boxes I don't think will be made again.  So get that stuff soon, if you want it.

Do not expect compatibility with 3rd edition, I am afraid. Their money is made from rule books not adventures. Expect a very different system with the dice pool, but without cards as standard. Could well be a completely new setting a generation or two in the future of the Old World. More money from brand new fluff guides for them.

I only hope it's true when I don't have to deal with incompatibilities... about 600€ for this rpg was the biggest investment by far for me in my 25 years of roleplaying...

You probably will not spend so much on each piece, as there will be a lot less of the paraphenalia, if any at all. However expect to spend a lot of money again.

The rumous aout the new edition are heared from last year. I even made a topic about ideas how it could look and what mechanics it could use. Mostly it looks from my perspective that if they will do it it will be similar to SW RPG line with thick hadrback books, custom dice and let's hope with a Begginers Box. I like how SW RPG is made, looks and plays.

We will se what FFG wil do becouse Warhammer Fantasy is less and less popular.

Cheers

Beren

Well they made so many components for the third edition, it would be stupid to just drop all of that.

Yes, the same said people that invested in WFRP 2e Laws of market do not care about such things.

besides FFG is not the rights owner just using GW licence, so GW is saying what they can and ca not do with it. Sorry to say it but GW policy, from a couple of years, is always about the money.

If I'm right WFB 8th edition come up almost the same time WFRP 3e? So one and the other are very much connected.

Cheers

Beren

Agreed it's about money, they're companies it can't be about anything more than it is money (though a bit of love of the subject etc. is symbiotic).  GW in particular appears "ruthlessly about the money" in how they run their line/stores.

I just hope some profit-oriented money cruncher is thinking "we don't want another 2e to 3e fiasco, we want an engaged fanbase that becomes a market - the tough nut to crack is that there is a fanbase to sell to if you can just get them to "come with you".  If a 4e jcreates another wave of "no I'll stick with the last edition", so now there are 4 factions - well we're as united then as the Chaos Powers themselves!

Showing a clear commitment to "go further" and not just "retread the ground already covered" could bring more aboard (e.g., more of the Old World beyond The Empire, a Lustrian and Southlands Box, a Voyage of Exploration expansion etc.).  If a timeline is moving ahead (the WFB progress) that is another possibility.  Though WFB is about "the apocalpytic moment" and RPGing tends to be more "in the run up to or in the aftermath of" that moment.

A strong reason to use established settings, fictional worlds etc. in order to tie into fan-bases as markets.  Getting to use cross-over art (why have an artist paint, just use a still from the last movie) is a nice bonus.

Edited by valvorik

I don't know what I want.

I'd love to see a refined version of WFRP, more along the lines of EotE. On the other hand I have bought everything for 3rd edition and even though the rules and dice system isn't as good as EotE, I still enjoy playing it.

I honestly don't know what I want them to do, but if they abandon 3rd edition, I hope they make a new edition as a refined version of the EotE system.

I'd prefer it if it was made to be much more similar to EotE, but I do understand all the people that have spent a huge amount of money on 3rd edition that would be disappointed by that.

I won't be putting any money towards a 4e. 3e was a huge investment, and all 3 "parts" of the SW game are going to be an even larger investment before the whole thing is done. There's so much out there on the market and so much I want to play, run, and try. At a certain point you really have to ask yourself how much you like a certain IP before you chase it through multiple editions. Many of us did that with D&D but that was before there were so many options. If anything, a new edition will pick up new fans and tap into the EotE crowd... which is always good. Might take a few grognards along with them, but I would imagine the number of 2 and 3e vets will be small. You can only buy into so many "incomplete" systems before you just take your money and common sense somewhere else.

Not hatin'. But at over $500 a system most collectors and GMs can't just chase FFG around while they do demographics and mechanics testing. I understand a lot of this is probably on GW, but a certain point you just need to be happy with what you've collected...run it, sell it, or let it collect dust on the bookshelf :)

Edited by GMmL

"You gotta know when to hold 'em

Know when to fold 'em

Know when to walk away

And no when to run...

You never count your money

When you're sittin' at the table

There'll be time enough for countin'

When the dealin's done."