Sign in to follow this  
bull30548

Hypothesis for Force and Destiny Classes

So in a different thread the conversation is on Force-users (http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/101304-are-force-users-more-powerful-than-we-thought/)

This got me wondering what classes we can expect to see in F&D

Now there are three I foresee not being playable classes:

Nightsister, Inquisitor, and Sith

The reason for this assumption is that the basic design of the game is for the players to portray 'good' guys.  Now I am not saying that these will not be defined or given their own section in the book somewhere I am just saying they won't be available.

So onto the 5-6 classes I see for the F&D

Jedi: um duh

Witch: as in Witch of Dathomir; the planet does have light side users not just Nightsisters.

Force Adept

Jensaari: This is from the EU but is an example of how there can sometimes be a balance of light and dark.  As well as one of the few force user groups to use cortorsis weave in their armor.

Fallanassi: Another EU group but this one has a different interpretation of what the Force is and thus their powers are a bit different.

Now what specializations will these classes might have I can only guess.  Jedi have had many different sub classes to define them.  Consular, Battlemaster, Watchman, Sentinel, Shadow, Knight, and Master to name a few.  This also brings with it another question.

How will Jedi be defining Knight and Master?

Now while there is probably going to be game mechanics for such things I thought a more cinematic approach might be more appropriate.  To be honest an example from the movie is the fact that the Council put Anakin in the Council but did not grant him title of Master.  Though to be honest he was probably a more skilled combatant and more obvious uses of the Force than most of the council I agree he still wasn't a Master.  And Episode IV Obi-Wan still wouldn't give him the satisfaction of being a Master just calling him a "master of evil".  

Anyway I am more curious as to what other people have come up with not just my own ramblings and guesses.

Force Rating seems to be an appropriate gauge between Knight and Master, since improving FR would require progressing through successive training trees. Only downside to this is that Force Powers are entirely separate from Force spec trees, and I would think a Master should have pretty broad knowledge of them, at least on a shallow-dabbling-in-several level.

I'd be happy to see a Knight Career that had Consular, Sentinel, and Guardian as its specs. Maybe unpopular but I've always liked that setup. Perhaps Lightsaber Duelist and Master as separate Universal Specializations with particular prereqs, e.g. a certain FR needed for Master.

I assume F&D is either going to have its base setting as Old Republic (which itself has a huge span of time to pick from, but wouldn't be surprised if it was movie-esque Clone Wars since that is going to stay canon) or New Jedi Order. Based on how the other two game lines are focusing on non-legal elements and the Rebels, I doubt there will be much direct Dark Side support in the core but I'd also be surprised to see something as frankly niche as Jensaari. I expect the focus to be heavily Jedi-oriented.

Man do I ever hate what the TV shows did with Dathomir, it seems so very casual. I much prefer the version from Courtship of Princess Leia

I've posted on this subject before, but I think would be a bad idea to have a Jedi career.

The reason is this: if you strip away the force, of which there are countless traditions, and lightsabers, which more than just Jedi use, the only thing that defines a Jedi is the code - the tenants of their faith.

Being a Jedi, or any force tradition, in my opinion, would best be represented by the Force and Destiny obligation/duty mechanic. I've coined the concept of it being called commitment, and that it be a way to measure how closely you follow a tradition.

This would allow for multiple force traditions to be represented, whether they be Jedi, Sith, Jensaarai, Baron Do, dathomiri witch, etc.

As to careers, going with a non denominational scheme along with the aforementioned commitment, would best represent the diversity that the Jedi have. Some Jedi are skilled duelists, some are pilots, some are tinkerers, some are more diplomatic. Having named careers will limit the versatility of the classes as most people will gravitate to Jedi and ignore the rest.

If classes are 'generic', in that they don't have a tradition linked to them by name you will get more diversity and use. Also, if the commitment mechanic allows for an alternate method to recieve force rating 1, fantasy flight can reuse specialties such as pilot, doctor, etc. and not have to fuss with having careers that grant this, making them stronger than careers in the other compatible game lines.

Of course, a Jedi could be a universal specialty, but I think that would be a lackluster way to represent them.

What I mention above, I feel, would work with the other game lines, as compatibility is a design aspect, without creating characters that outshine those from the other games.

I'd say we have seen how the Force and Jedi will be handled.  I don't think we will see a Jedi career and then 3 Jedi specs.  I think you will see a continuation of the way the Exile and Emergent have been presented with talent trees and then Force powers as separate mini trees.  I think we might see the progression from Padawan  to Master handled with something like the Signature Ability system.

As to setting, I don't think we'll see force and destiny set in the craptacular old republic timeframe. The other two roleplay games, along with x-wing and the lcg, focus on the original trilogy. In fact, the new movies and series are closer to 'The Trilogy' which seems to be the focus for all new Star Wars media.

As to dark side support, we already have enough rules for calling on the dark side. Suffering strain to use the black pips represents it quite well. The dark side is not stronger, only faster and more seductive. In the end it will fail you if you rely on it, represented by not being able to do the above if you are near your strain threshold.

The current system for calling on the dark side also ignores the inane, dark side immune deficiency syndrome that was in the EU, and not in the movies.

I highly doubt that we are going to see multiple Jedi or Force using careers. There are only so many ways you can split a Jedi, and devoting a dozen Specializations to the concept is a little much. While I'd like to see other Force using traditions, they simply aren't going to be different enough mechanically to justify (not to mention incredibly niche and unlikely).

Rather, I see maybe one Force using career (stay tuned) alongside a number of other archetypal careers (things like some kind of soldier, a diplomat, mechanic, etc). Both EoE and AoR are stand along games. F&D is very, very likely to be a stand alone game as well, so the game is going to need to function as more than just a bunch of wannabe Jedi. Add to this the name of the game, Force and Destiny. If you read into the Destiny part, it's likely that we're going to see characters dealing with the stabilization of the galaxy.

It has already been mentioned that FFG seems to be following the progression of the movies. EoE deals with the scum and villainy of the galaxy, AoR dealing with the Empire and the Rebellion, so it's not a stretch to think that F&D is going to deal with the end of the Empire and possibly the formation of the New Republic. Given that Luke doesn't really train anyone for the better part of a decade, there's got to be something in addition to Jedi and other Force users.

There are a lot of ways to cut the mundanes, with a lot of Specializations already, so I'll gloss over those and focus on Jedi or Force users (depending how specific they get). Again, I'm expecting a single Jedi career (if even that specific) with three Specializations. While they will likely deal with Jedi archetypes, I do not anticipate d20 baggage like guardian, consular, or sentinel. This comes solely from d20 and has no place in this game. Yeah, yeah, they were in Kotor and the Jedi Path book, but that is all d20 baggage. Just like lightsaber crystals, this stuff only really existed to create hyper specific play options for number grinders and video games. d20 hatred aside (more that it's unwise to draw too much from a rival publisher's work), there is this whole think about the canon being in question. Right now, the only real canon are the 6 movies, Clone Wars, and Rebels when it comes out. So any canon coming from and game or comic is in question, and FFG doesn't seem to be dealing with them.

With that out of the way, I see Specializations for a Force empowered combatant (or lightsaber duelist, depending how specific it goes) and some variety of "Force as my ally" type. Rather than dealing with powers specifically, I see the latter dealing with Force talents not unlike the Exile from EoE.

This leaves a third specialization and a problem. I'm uncertain what the third would look like, but I'd think maybe an investigator or similar problem solver. The problem arises when you consider Force Rating. EoE and AoR both have a Universal Specialization to deal with the Force. Aside from addressing that element, they allow a way to improve your FR and diversify your abilities. With only 3 Specializations, that means that all Jedi/Force users will be soft capped at FR 4 and will basically all be the same. This makes me want to think that there will be additional Universal Specializations on order to deal with further advancements and abilities. Who knows what they'll look like, but I imagine they'll touch on higher abilities like prophets and healers. This is possibly where lightsaber forms and knighthood take shape, but I want to think that these will be saved for a career book.

At the end of the day, this is still all wild speculation, though based on what we've seen to date.

As an aside, I highly doubt that F&D with take place in the Old Republic, Legacy era, the Clone Wars, or deal directly with the New Jedi Order as a formal entity. Two out of three are set during the Civil War. It's unlikely that the third will deviate from that, considering the effort FFG is going to in order to make the games compatible and complimentary.

Edited by ScooterinAB

Force and Destiny is supposed to be a stand-alone game so I think we'll see similar career set-ups as the other two games (social career, fighty career, pilot career, mechanic career and so on). Those are required for a good Star Wars game. There could (should?) be more than one force specialization in the book though, and I presume we'll see all five force power trees and some new ones in the book as well, maybe even extended versions of them.

Additional force specializations and force powers would be a good selling point for sourcebooks, so some might be left for later books to explore.

I'd say we have seen how the Force and Jedi will be handled.  I don't think we will see a Jedi career and then 3 Jedi specs.  I think you will see a continuation of the way the Exile and Emergent have been presented with talent trees and then Force powers as separate mini trees.  I think we might see the progression from Padawan  to Master handled with something like the Signature Ability system.

I think this is a likely approach we'll see, and I think handling Knight and Master via Signature Abilities would be a good way to go.

My suspicion is that we'll get at least two non-career Jedi specializations: one focused more on lightsaber combat, and one more focused on Force power usage and skills, although FSEx kind of covers this a bit. I think there will also be at least one more Force-oriented specialization that seeks to represent something of non-Jedi Force users (even though we have that with the FSEx and FSEm, and obviously can take Jedi without actually being one).

A signature ability getting a Jedi to Knighthood would be cool, and another advancing them to the level of Master would be good. My guess for the former would be something that makes the Jedi incredibly difficult to harm for a period of time, similar to the Hired Gun's ability, but focused more on avoiding attacks (lightsaber deflection) than shrugging off a beating.

I'd also expect at least 3 new Force powers with their own trees, and some way to deal with the abilities to sense other Force users, and to hide oneself from such prying in turn.

I think it would be good to see a little more definition given to the Light vs. Dark dynamic, but I'm doubtful on that score.

I believe it would also be possible that we see some Specializations that act like D&D prestige classes, requiring certain other investments to be met before being able to unlock the Specialization (such as Force Rating 3).

To the idea of a belief system I think that will be covered under the subsection of motivation that has been in the past two books.  Destiny is probably going to be like Obligation or Duty (I am thinking Obligation more than Duty but who knows).  The problem is by making certain things vague as far as classes is the fact that F & D are supposed to be addressing the vagueness we already have (at least that is my hope).  To be honest if you go off the progression of the prior two books you could very easily see Anakin or Luke following those paths with very little issue.  Did they go far down those paths? I have no idea but I am betting you would see it with very little issue.  The reason why I believe we will get the classes we will get is because unfortunately the two trilogies only address Sith and Jedi.  There is no other Force Using class or specialization anywhere else in the movies.  Clone Wars introduced that Nightsister contingent (which needless to say I am with the Courtship of Princess Leia court still) and they do actually reoccur in the EU after the movies.  So unfortunately I see them drawing from either one or the other.

Now classes we see in the two trilogies could be defined as:

Jedi Ace (A lot of the Ace abilities with a few Force talents and recommendations for powers).

Jedi Duelist (Mace Windu didn't randomly pick Jedi to go with him to confront Palpatine all of them were talented swordsmen)

Jedi Archivist (Yoda or the Librarian could be examples of these two as they both dealt a lot with the knowledge of the force not just the use.  In later EU Luke could be classified as this as well)

Jedi General: (A lot of Commodore with a few Force talents and recommendations for powers)

Jedi Healer: (Doctor with Force Talents and powers geared towards healing)

Jedi Instructor: (Again Yoda could fill this role as an example or any Jedi who had a padawan really)

Jedi Padawan: (A different approach to Force Emergent or actually no difference at all)

Jedi Knight: (I am with everyone else I think this would be a Universal class not just one slapped into the Jedi Specialization)

Jedi Master: (see above)

Jedi Spy: (Not really in the movies but addressed in Dark Horse. Spy with again Force talents and power recommends)

Jedi Explorer: (see above)

Now if you wanted to just drop the Jedi and drop in Force you very easily could and maybe that is what they will do.  However, with the exception of a few of those there is no real overlap where I could see lumping the list together and making them into specializations of a certain class.  And maybe that is something F & D is going to do is instead of giving us 5 to 6 classes with 3 specializations we will get 15 to 18 specializations with no class association.  Both the first two books introduce this concept and to be honest I think it works better the latter way then trying to stick to the exact same layout as the first two books.  A lot of people keep saying that this is a stand alone game and that is true but it is a stand alone game that meant to interact with the previous stand alone games.  So for example instead of making Luke jump from I would say Fringer to Force Emergent to Ace and then to Jedi Knight we could have him simply go from Fringer to Force Ace to Jedi Knight.

Just some thoughts that occurred to me after reading everyone's posts.  Please keep the ideas coming; who knows maybe FF is watching.

Force and Destiny is supposed to be a stand-alone game so I think we'll see similar career set-ups as the other two games (social career, fighty career, pilot career, mechanic career and so on). Those are required for a good Star Wars game.

This is a major point that several folks seem to be overlooking.

FFG has made it crystal clear from the very beginning that while EotE, AoR, and F&D can all be used in tandem, they are also being written to operate as their own independent games that aren't reliant on the other two in order to be played.  And not every player at the table is going to want to play a Force-user.  After all, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Boba Fett all have their fanbases, do they not?

The question is how much of a focus on Force-users with F&D have?  A lot of folks (myself included) have been thinking the focus will be almost entirely on Force-users, just as EotE was focused on fringe/underworld types and AoR is focused on members of the Rebellion.

That said, I suspect there will be a Jedi career at the very least, with the Consular/Sentinel/Guardian split as specializations.  Whether folks like them or not, the 3 paths have become fairly well ingrained by this point and it's a convenient shorthand for "face-type Jedi", "sneaky-type Jedi", and "warrior-type Jedi."  I also think a lot of the other Jedi categories could instead be handled by picking up non-career specializations, though personally I'd like to see Jedi Ace, Jedi Investigator, and Jedi Healer get covered in a later supplement.  Jedi Knight and Jedi Master are titles, ones that should reflect a certain level of ability rather than just "oh, my character's a Jedi Master now because he bought the Jedi Master specialization."

As for other Force-users, now that one I think that could be split into two careers, with a Force Adept covering the mystical/support traditions (Dathomir Witches, Fallanasi, Baran Do Sages) and a Force Warrior to cover the more practical/combat traditions.(Jensaarai, Zieson Sha, Matukai).

So assuming that FFG sticks with the "six careers with three specializations each" model that they've used for both EotE and AoR, that leaves three careers and nine specializations unaccounted for.  If F&D is also going to cover "mundane" characters, those remaining careers & specs would cover those character types.  A cynic might suggest that FFG would just cherry-pick from EotE and AoR to pad out the list, but I've got a lot more faith in the design team and that if non-Force PCs get covered in F&D, that we'll at least get original careers; we might see a spec or three get repeated from the EotE or AoR product lines, as why totally re-invent the wheel if you don't have to?

Edit: I suppose that the Jedi career could also be split into two careers along the same lines as the general Force-user as I discussed above.  I know that the SW:TOR did this, and while I usually cringe at the thought of using "well they did it in a video game" as justification for table-top RPG rules, it's an idea that's not totally without merit.  The problem with how WotC handled the Consular/Guardian division was inherent to d20 classes being rather narrow in focus and that you got penalized for trying to pull off a "blended" approach.

So if Jedi were split into two careers, it'd cover more ground for Force-users and allow for some additional Jedi specializations right off the bat.  To that line, I'm thinking a Jed Consular career would cover the Healer, Investigator, and Sage, while the Jedi Guardian career would cover Ace, Duelist (for the lightsaber specialists), and Sentinel (they do enough combat that's not too much of a stretch).

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

From a thread over in the Age of Rebellion forum, where it was mentioned about wanting to see Lightsaber Forms in the Force & Destiny core rulebook...

I actually hope we don't see the Lightsaber Forms in the F&D core rulebook.

The FFG design team have made it pretty clear that the focus of their trilogy of core rulebooks is on the Rebellion Era, and during that time a whole lot of Jedi lore had been lost.  So Jedi in this era should be "making do" as they no longer have reliable access to the thousands of years of lore that Jedi trained prior to the events of RotS took for granted.

Given their popularity, I figure we'll see the Lightsaber Forms addressed in a post-CRB supplement, quite possibly as Signature Abilities for the Jedi career (or careers).  Personally though, instead of seeing such a Signature Ability for each separate Form, I think it'd work better with the narrative feel of the system that they instead use the Balanced/Fast/Strong lightsaber styles that was introduced in the Jedi Knight series of games, perhaps with a note as to which of the "classic" Lightsaber Forms is reflected by a particular Signature Ability.

To draw from DarthGM's Edge of the Jedi fan supplement, I'd picture the breakdown being something like this:

Balanced Style - Shii-Cho (Form I) and Niman (Form VI)

Fast Style - Ataru (Form IV) and Soresu (Form III)

Strong Style - Djem So/Shien (Form V) and Juyo (Form VII)

Makashi (Form II) could be argued as either a Balanced or a Fast style, and there's also the matter of Jar'kai (dual-wielding) which is an off-shoot of Niman.  Trakata is more of a technique than an actual Form, and could instead be a talent used by the Jedi specializations, although the same too could be said of Jar'kai.

A follow up thought that occurred to me while writing this was the fact that unlike the previous two books F & D actually already has classes associated with it from those two books.  So I wonder if this will be a factor in the layout of F & D and perhaps they turn what we look as Universal classes into normal classes with 3 specializations each.  I don't think it will but is a factor they will have to consider in the development of F & D.

So someone brought up other force power trees in here and I am curious what you mean by that?  I mean we are assuming that we need more trees honestly.  Force Grip could very easily just be added into the force power Move and Force Healing could be inserted into Enhance very easily in my opinion that just leaves Lightning which I actually think would be a power on it's own.

EDIT: Lightsaber Forms: I am curious about this as well and while I love the idea of them should not be in F & D.  Also another way they could address it is much like how it is in the MMO where there is a Offensive, Defensive, and Force Stance that one could use.  And Stance may not be the proper term for this but mindset would be a better term.  Like I would say that Anakin or Luke were often used their lightsaber skills in an offensive mindset though Luke shifted to Defense often in Return.  Obi-wan would almost be an excellent example of Defensive and Yoda that of a Force Stance where he would be just as likely capable of using his force powers during a duel as his lightsaber.  

Another issue I think we need to consider is how much they will draw from the previous editions of the SWRPG I mean a lot of the vehicles we have seen that are not movie associated are actually drawn from it seems those places.  So why not the force powers themselves?  In this case I don't think we can honestly expect them not to draw from the EU more than the movies just because the movies don't address a lot of what the Force is implied can do.  A few of my favorite characters in the SW Universe are ones from the EU such as most of Wraith Squadron and a few Jedi from the Clone Wars comics by Dark Horse.

As an example the character I have in an on going Saga campaign is based a lot off the concept of the Dark Woman presented in Clone Wars.  I loved the fact that they addressed a Jedi with the ability to move through walls or barriers.  This to me seemed like the ultimate sneaky character.  This leads me to the final issue I think we aren't addressing is: will these classes that we are hypothesizing on be able to intermingle with each other or to further extent other classes from the previous books?  The character concept I have and what the GM is going for are actually generally at odds.  There have been more times than I can count where he presents a situation and we just blow right by it.  Not because we the players are uninterested but because our characters would not give a flying rip about it.  Then there are situations where I will be perfectly honest our characters come up with brilliant solutions to the situation but because it is not how the GM wants the scene to play out we can't do it.  When I do get to the point where i can purchase the power to phase I think my poor GM's head will explode because his locked anything will no longer be an issue for me.

This is one of the things I think FF has done a great job in addressing these types of issues.  The dice system also addresses it because of the whole phasing thing in the old system there is no risk or chance to it.  If they introduce a similar power in this system I will be more reluctant to use it or even purchase it cause lets face it enough disadvantages and despairs happen I am not coming out the other side in one piece.  Also the fact that I could end up calling on the dark side to implement this power is an interesting twist and I hope we see this continue in F & D.

Edited by bull30548

Personally I think the idea of pre-Knight apprentice is covered pretty well in FSEx/FSEm. I would be interested in development of Jedi Service Corps mechanics as an alternative to Jedi Knight (as exists in-setting) but that was a big Old Republic thing so I wouldn't expect to see much support of it in a setting that is primarily geared towards ABY events.

Really as long as Jedi don't automatically become the equivalent of "Tier 1 class" like Wizard/Druid/Cleric and avoid the "Jedi = super caster" stereotype, I think I'll be happy. I may be in the minority for not liking how much more the Force turned into wizards casting spells in the Prequels, Clone Wars TV show, Saga edition, etc, but I really don't like that mindset (though I do understand where Saga was coming from, D&D-based system ideas lend themselves to Vancian caster analogues).

I think we need to examine the mindset, staging and marketing of the series so far.  EotE has been set in a mindset of everything has been terrible and villainous for a very long time.  The sense of time is that this is a galaxy in decline with little hope, hinging on a pivotal change that sparks new dreams of change.  AoR seems to be (I have not actually played the beta yet) set in the mindset of desperate conflict and resources and hope stretched too thin.

From this we have a backward focused setting and a present focused setting.

This leads us to Force and Destiny.  We have been focusing on the Force aspect with little discussion (that I have seen) around the meaning of "Destiny".  How they presented the careers in AoR's beta is as a reflavouring of EotE, set with the mindset of constant and current conflict, rather than dwindling hopes amongst oppressive villains.

This leads me to believe that Force and Destiny will have classes presented similarly, but with a rebuilding flavour.  For instance, the Politico became the Diplomat, which will probably become a Magistrate.

As for how the Jedi will be presented, I agree with the opinion that it will not be a formal career, or even a universal specialization.  I believe there will be at least one more universal specialization, perhaps only one in the core book with more later in splat books, which will initially raise the possibility of FR to 4, or possibly 5 (with two FR increases).  I could see this being presented as a more expensive xp entry for anyone without a FR of 3, thereby offsetting the investment of FS characters from EotE and AoR.  This might be overly complicated though, so they may simply stick to 4 and introduce yet another universal FS specialization in a later book.

Frankly, I do not believe there will be a method of becoming a Jedi, much less a Jedi Master.  If there will be, I think it will not be in the core book.  The problem of training would be too much of a leap.

I assume F&D is either going to have its base setting as Old Republic...or New Jedi Order.

What would make you think that?

It's going to be set around 1ABY just like Edge and Age.

Frankly, I do not believe there will be a method of becoming a Jedi, much less a Jedi Master.  If there will be, I think it will not be in the core book.  The problem of training would be too much of a leap.

Well Padawan, Knight, Master, ect are really just titles anyway... EPII could have introduced plenty more if George had added some snark to the script...

Yoda: How could this be?

Youngling: Master? Because someone deleted it from the archives?

Yoda: Outsmarted by a child Obi-wan has been. Demote him to Jedi Janitor I do! Special training I now how for him. Involve a floorbuffer it does...

Obi-wan: )-:

I suspect things like Knight and Master will be progression along the F&D Obligation/Duty mechanic. It'll be that 'clearly vague' the other two are in ways that if a group has 70+ points of Obligation total the are the people Jabba goes 'you're my kind of scum.'

And with duty you become General Solo and Commander Skywalker by rolling Duty over 100 several times. There isn't (and doesn't need to be) a 'roll it over 4 times and you earn General.' but it allows for it smoothly if that's how the narrative is going in your game.

So I expect the Destiny mechanic (for lack of a better term) to be one you earn by pursuing your chosen destiny and when you do enough of it and it makes sense that you can look at the last adventure as your great trial it then feels right to look at the party and say 'I'm a jedi knight.' 

But really you can call yourself whatever you want whenever you want. Luke calls himself a Jedi Knight without waiting for the nod from Yoda. He even claims it and Yoda gives him the 'hold your horses' speech and tell him he needs to go face Vader again. 

I think Destiny (or whatever the Obligation facsimile will be) would do well to be treated much like Obligation- the player (and the character by extension) chooses his/her Destiny...does he/she want to be a Knight, or a Master, Greedo's far-more-successful BH daughter, or whatever...and works toward "paying it off" in-game. Instead of racking upward in "Destiny points", or what have you, the cusp of Destiny becomes closer the more the character actively works toward making that Destiny manifest. The GM would check Destiny (as is done for Obligation) and if Destiny "comes up" in-game the character may either choose to ignore his/her Destiny, or embrace it.

I would assume all characters should have a Destiny, not just Force Sensitives. The PT closely follows the Destiny of Anakin, but Obi-Wan's, C-3PO's, and R2's are inextricably intermingled. The OT closely follows Luke's Destiny, though I think his was something greater than Anakin's/Vader's, because it carried the Destinies of Han, Leia, Chewbacca, Lando, and the others mentioned in Anakin's arc as well, as if riding the tail of a comet. So, with that in mind, Destiny may be a shared/evolving vision of all the characters' apex, something that all players work toward- the Force Sensitive may decide to ignore his/her Destiny this time around, but perhaps one of his/her companions takes up the task of its summons, thus furthering his/her own Destiny ("paying it off") and that of another ("paying it off", though to a lesser degree). Actively working toward securing one's Destiny may provide small perks, such as a Boost die here and there (as an example OOMA).

It might be kinda neat to require all characters to fulfill their Destiny at the same time (or same session/story arc), putting greater onus on the players to work in cooperation toward their Destinies.

I honestly don't care what Force Users are called, as long as the "titles" are explained- all this talk of Jenesaisquoi* or whatever has people like me (OT and PT exposure only) scratching their heads, I'm sure.

*French for "I don't know what."

Edited by Brother Orpheo

I think for the book to be balanced and integrate with the other 2 it won't be set in the days of the Republic or in the as yet nebulous cannon of post Return of the Jedi new Republic era. Also unless the book is specifically racist against droids not every class can be a force user.

I'd go so far as to suppose that only one of the 6 expected classes is a true force user with Force rating talents unless they go with a 3rd universal Force user class and just blow everyone away with the Force Power sections and Lightsaber rules.

It is called Force and Destiny right? Gotta have some love for the non-Force users.

Jedi Doctor, Jedi Technician, Jedi Brawler, Jedi Gunner, Jedi Navigator sounds all pretty lame don't ya think?

One thing that i don't think has been considered. Splat books for Force sensitive emergent and exile. We have one for explorers and hired guns. I expect a bounty hunter, colonist, smuggler, technician books. all with signature abilities. 

how does that effect your guy's thinking?

One thing that i don't think has been considered. Splat books for Force sensitive emergent and exile. We have one for explorers and hired guns. I expect a bounty hunter, colonist, smuggler, technician books. all with signature abilities. 

Exile and emergant aren't careers. They are specializations. Not enough to supoort a splat book. The only thing that they do to alter my thinking is that there may be a precedent for force capable specialties being universal.

Consider F&D a larger splatbook for Force users....

Between edge of the empire and age of rebellion I think force and destiny isbgoing to focus nearly exclusively on force users. The jedi hiding throughout the galaxy, new jedi and their sith counterparts because the first 2 core books cover all the non force roles so it is likely the last book will be for those groups who want to play dedocated force users. Their will probably be both careers and specializations designed for force users including light saber focused characters, sorcerer type characters and upgraded and new force powers. Evwen though we arent playing old republic I thibk focusing on a new jedi order and appropriate adversary. Probably drawing a lot of inspiration from return of the jedi

Since they are all supposed to be stand alone games that seems counter to past behavior on FFGs part.

Between edge of the empire and age of rebellion I think force and destiny isbgoing to focus nearly exclusively on force users. The jedi hiding throughout the galaxy, new jedi and their sith counterparts because the first 2 core books cover all the non force roles so it is likely the last book will be for those groups who want to play dedocated force users. Their will probably be both careers and specializations designed for force users including light saber focused characters, sorcerer type characters and upgraded and new force powers. Evwen though we arent playing old republic I thibk focusing on a new jedi order and appropriate adversary. Probably drawing a lot of inspiration from return of the jedi