Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

The "Woot! I have JOY" thread!

themensch! Don't fall asleep at the wheel! We need deets! :D

I wasn't sleeping I was drunk!

So to answer the burning question: Lando and the Cloud City staff are statted out to be minor characters not central to the plot.  However, it's freakin' Lando, so he will certainly be in my stories.  It would be trivial to replace him with his predecessor if that would  better fit your story.  

I'm guessing there are no new ships than? I'm torn on what priority I want to put on getting this, On one hand Lando is one of my favorite Star Wars characters, and Cloud City is cool. On the other hand right now we are no where near Cloud City in our current campaign and unless something changes we aren't heading that way anytime soon.

I'm sure there are a few new things in the module, RogueCorona. Beyond the Rim had the TT24 holdout blaster (buried in the ISB agent's stats), the Deep Dark Scout Ship, the IPV System Patrol Craft, the Jawa skiff, and all the indigenous creatures on Cholganna.

I'd be stunned if we didn't get some new crunch in The Jewel of Yavin.

Lando should have 5 ranks of cool.

Correction: He should have 45 ranks of cool... 

That advertisement's picture and quote makes it seem he's peddling an aphrodisiac. I'd forgotten how creepy the late 70's (early 80's?) were in hindsight.

Edited by Sturn

Damnit! My FLGS hasn't gotten their copies in yet. It's not usually this bad - I wonder what the hold-up is?

I think it's not officially supposed to be released until tomorrow.

Got my copy today. :) While there's a lot of talk about Lando, I am much more interested in a number of the other characters. Elaiza, for one. :)

In addition, I think it's interesting to note that this is NOT intended for a beginning party, but rather for a group that's seen some action. Its not specific as to what the XP threshold should be, but looking through the opposition, stealth is very much the better part of valour for any sort of inexperienced group... or experienced for that matter.

Any new ships or Cloud cars, or such  we can incorporate into non-JOY adventures. The party I'm part of will probably drop by Cloud City near the end of the campaign but that won't be until AOR comes out, probably a session or two later, and money for me at least will be really tight for a couple of months so I don't want to get it right away unless there's enough stuff we'll use in the next few weeks to be worth it.

As a setting, there's enough resource material scattered through it to use Cloud City as a sourcebook... especially the first 20 pages, but there's more throughout the book. It specifically has the Storm IV Cloud Car, tailor built for the Wing Guard, which is basically an up-armored version of the one from the Core Rulebook. There's also some cool Vehicle Upgrades, which include ones that will up system strain, maneuverability, or a temporary boost to speed. The drawback is that these can only be installed on vehicles that are Silhouette 2 or lower. As someone pointed out, the Wing Guard signature weapon (the Relby-K23 blaster pistol) doesn't have a separate stat line, but it is in the Equipment section of each wing guard. It does not have a price or a rarity value, but I would expect that it would be a Restricted weapon, and fetch a price at least 200-300 credits higher than a standard blaster pistol, because of the added pierce quality. I'd say rarity minimum 6.

There's lots in here that's useable. :)

Yeah it sounds cool but honestly there's nothing on the list you gave which screams :We need it now." to me rather than in a few weeks when getting it won't probably lead to me needing to scrape my dresser drawer for loose change at some point soon. Like I said our GM plans to take us to Cloud City but that won't be until AOR is out, probably at least a week or two so we have time to build our first AOR characters. Our current GM likes to end campaigns at well known hubs because he feels doing so makes picking up a new campaign with the same party, or including old characters in a new party much easier if the new campaign starts at a well known location.

Yeah it sounds cool but honestly there's nothing on the list you gave which screams :We need it now." to me rather than in a few weeks when getting it won't probably lead to me needing to scrape my dresser drawer for loose change at some point soon. Like I said our GM plans to take us to Cloud City but that won't be until AOR is out, probably at least a week or two so we have time to build our first AOR characters. Our current GM likes to end campaigns at well known hubs because he feels doing so makes picking up a new campaign with the same party, or including old characters in a new party much easier if the new campaign starts at a well known location.

After skimming it over, there isn't much in it to recommend it for use other than as an adventure, and I haven't read it in depth yet to be able to fairly say how it is as an adventure.

They have a sidebar for Ugnaughts and a second species, but they are not given any rules for using them as PCs. Providing a PC species certainly isn't something I'd demand in an adventure, but it would have been a nice treat. Oh well...

Just got it.

I skimmed though it and was kind of disapointed no new gear or weapons, I realize this is an adventure book, but one or two things would have been nice.

Still worth the buy though!

Just got it.

I skimmed though it and was kind of disapointed no new gear or weapons, I realize this is an adventure book, but one or two things would have been nice.

Still worth the buy though!

Apparently, buried in the Wing Guard stat block, is the Relby-k23 blaster which is definitely new.

Just got mine, too. I really like that they've given us both a (mostly) wilderness type adventure, and now a cosmopolitan one. Juggle in AoR's (presumably) militaristic adventures and F&D's (again, presumably) good vs. evil adventures, and the variety is gonna be off the chart. And that's what appeals to me most about any Star Wars rpg - the variety.  :)